Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th December 2014, 14:42

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default tracking

i have just managed to get the sportster on the floor for the first time! and i need to get the wheels roughly pointing forward to allow me to pull the car in and out the garage.

however i have adjusted the steering rack so it is in the center, but when i put the trackrods on to have the wheels pointing forward there is hardily any thread of the trackrod actually on the steering rack, its almost like the rack needs extending, or the trackrods need to be longer....has any one come across this problem? i doubt its the steering rack as marlin did not mention any need to modify this part and it came directly from them...as did the trackrods but some thing does not seem to add up!
Available from eBay
Old 7th December 2014, 16:03

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
i have just managed to get the sportster on the floor for the first time! and i need to get the wheels roughly pointing forward to allow me to pull the car in and out the garage.

however i have adjusted the steering rack so it is in the center, but when i put the trackrods on to have the wheels pointing forward there is hardily any thread of the trackrod actually on the steering rack, its almost like the rack needs extending, or the trackrods need to be longer....has any one come across this problem? i doubt its the steering rack as marlin did not mention any need to modify this part and it came directly from them...as did the trackrods but some thing does not seem to add up!
It is the steering rack.

Marlin told me that the steering rack was specially made for them and when I asked why it was specially made 30mm too short either end all I got was abuse!! You can see the issue here:

Front end by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

I found a pair of rack extensions in Rally Designs. I believe it's a Ford rack and the thread should be M14. They did the trick.

Marlin couldn't care less. I had the problem and spoke to them about it. Ian (morris_marlin) had exactly the same issue and spoke to them. (and bought some extensions from Rally Design) and now you are in the same boat!!

Not a problem. Rally Design has the answer. It's just frustrating and another one of those 'challenges' that come free of charge when you do business with Marlin!!

Nigel
Old 7th December 2014, 16:13

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

I thought that things weren't right! That's good atleast there is a decent answer! It seems my wheels hit on the lights at full lock as well... Maybe not such an easy fix... First things first get the wheels straight and then sort the lights! Possibly by fitting some kind of lock limiter on the rack to stop it turning the wheel so much
Old 7th December 2014, 22:35

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
I thought that things weren't right! That's good atleast there is a decent answer! It seems my wheels hit on the lights at full lock as well... Maybe not such an easy fix... First things first get the wheels straight and then sort the lights! Possibly by fitting some kind of lock limiter on the rack to stop it turning the wheel so much
Where have you fitted the lights.

I tried fitting mine in the hole (the obvious place!!) in the top of the front suspension turret and the front wheels would hit them with any serious lock applied.

I made an adaptor plate out of 6mm aluminium and move the lamps rearwards and a bit closer to the nose cone.

Headlamp mounting plate. by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

The front wheels now have plenty of clearance and there's the added bonus that I can now reach the nut that secures the headlight which allows me to adjust them to get the correct alignment

Nigel
Old 8th December 2014, 07:24
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

@Nigel. Neat brackets! But have you checked that the headlight centres are still sufficiently far appart and high enough from the ground for the IVA? I seem to remember it was marginal even with the headlights in the standard position.

@mcramsay. You will probably need to fit limiters to the steering rack. Most of us that completed the build about 5 years ago used the rather crude method of a jubilee clip on the ends of the rack inside the steeriing rack bellows. I was rather concerned about doing this at the time but, fitted carefully, mine have been fine for 5000 miles, 5 years and three MOT's.

BTW - My steering rack was modified by Marlin. They welded an extension onto each end allowing the use of standard track rod ends. I am guessing they "forgot" to do that on yours....

Cheers, Robin
Old 9th December 2014, 17:55
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

My rack was modified by Marlin, but I don't think it was extended enough. By the time I had the tracking sorted, there was (as I found out during my spin) only a couple of threads engaged in the rod ends.

The outfit I sent the rack to for repair took a dim view at the method of modification used as well - it was light weight tube welded on to the rack.

When I got it back, they'd replaced the cut / extended rack arms with new ones, and then extended them with some solid, screw on extensions. Much stronger, and plenty of adjustment on the rod ends. You can see them in the pic below:

If you want yours doing (if you don't have enough adjustment, or don't trust the cut and shut arms), this is the outfit that did mine:

http://www.steering-racks.co.uk

Cheers

Jason