Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th April 2015, 19:02
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
You can build a Sammio Spyder with out the top frame, simply by using the original body and floor pans.
I'll get some photos over the weekend and show you how.
As Promised

A Sammio Spyder.

This looks like a pretty standard part built Sammio Spyder, but if you look closer

The body is supported with no top frame!!
This is how

By using both the "A" and "B" post the body is supported more-or-less where the old style top frame would work.
Using as much of the original body as possible will only speed up the build. I would have used the boot floor and rear wheel arches but they where past it.

The best way of doing this is, cut a little and try it, cut a little and try it, cut a little and try it. and so on.
Eventually it will fit nicely over the cut down original body work.
The new body contacts the original bodywork at the top of the "A" post, "B" post, along the front bulkhead and the full length of each lower sill. Much like the old top frame did.
Another advantage is the hand brake, gearbox shelve, prop shaft tunnel and floor pans are already fitted and as a bonus the floor pans are already lowered.

A top frame will need to be added for impact strength preferably welded but if you can't weld then drill and bolt it on. The difference in strength will be minimal as you can add as much steelwork as you want, and as the top frame is fitted where and how the builder thinks best or would like it no plans are needed

There, more than one way to skin-a-cat or should I say build-aSammio

PS, this will probably be the way I recommend all the new Sammio's to be built, body work allowing of course
Old 10th April 2015, 19:48

MrTin is on a distinguished road

Mick, that's all well and good where a saloon body exists as the donor, but we have an immaculate GT6 Mk 1 frame. No body work apart from a very ratty bulkhead.
So we're back to no frame. I can make the components of a frame, no sweat, but I can't weld the bits. I suppose a mobile welder would be OK. I do know one. But he'll cost!

But thanks for the pics. I'm sure they help saloon donor folks.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 10th April 2015, 21:59

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

That appears to work ok . like you say a bit of top framing and some little braces combined with all the other materials that creat the tub area etc. and jobs a good'un !
The simplicity of the original wins the day again !
Old 11th April 2015, 07:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL PRIMER View Post
That appears to work ok . like you say a bit of top framing and some little braces combined with all the other materials that creat the tub area etc. and jobs a good'un !
The simplicity of the original wins the day again !
Spot on advice EP.

Just remember that you need to brace the sides and back of the cockpit edges so you can put your weight on them when you climb out (click on the picture for video) -

It's actually much easier than my wife makes it look, ideally you just hoist yourself up and stand on the seat squab (still facing forwards), then step over the side.

The car is so low btw that doors wouldn't help with ingress/egress. They might even make it harder as you couldn't put your weight on them once they were open without straining the hinges.
Old 11th April 2015, 07:51
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTin View Post
. I can make the components of a frame, no sweat, but I can't weld the bits. I suppose a mobile welder would be OK. I do know one. But he'll cost

Cheers,
Martin
Nothing in life is free
Old 11th April 2015, 07:59

harveyhughes11 is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great way to do it! Think I may well be building mine that way! Looks simple and much cheaper than building a massive frame!
Old 11th April 2015, 13:42

Hiwex is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio Build

The assistant builder fully agrees, we'll definitely build it this way, with the addition of some side-impact protection and bracing here and there.
We'll be coming down with the camera in a few weeks Mike, I'll call beforehand so you can warm up the kettle!
Cheers
Mike
Old 11th April 2015, 15:45

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

What do you do for the top seat belt anchor, to get it a suitable height relating to your shoulder and strong enough?

This was my problem with the Berlinetta I am currently restoring, it was way too low, irrespective of regulations, I would prefer not to be crippled by a seatbelt which is meant to minimise injuries in a collision. I raised it almost 200mm, it's now just about right, could be higher but no lower.
Old 11th April 2015, 20:30

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Stupid question from a bloody foreigner: Are seatbelts required by law in every kitcar no matter what the production year?
All of my cars are before 1972 and don't have seatbelts and i really don't want them too as i hate seatbelts.
Call me stupid but especially in a open top car made of a plastic tub braced with some flimsy metal tubing i want rather to bounce out in case of accident than strapped tight to it when it crumbles as a milk carton.
Old 11th April 2015, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneanglia View Post
Stupid question from a bloody foreigner: Are seatbelts required by law in every kitcar no matter what the production year?
All of my cars are before 1972 and don't have seatbelts and i really don't want them too as i hate seatbelts.
Call me stupid but especially in a open top car made of a plastic tub braced with some flimsy metal tubing i want rather to bounce out in case of accident than strapped tight to it when it crumbles as a milk carton.
From memory seatbelts were compulsory for the outer front seats from 1966, the relevant British Standard was BS-AU43a 1965, again from memory... Many cars were fitted with seat belt anchors before that date. For example our 1952 Alvis TA21 with an aluminium drop-head Tickford body had seatbelt anchors screwed to the Ash framework.

One of the key requirement for BS-AU43a was that the belt and anchors withstand a sudden load of six tons, without tearing or breaking out of the bodyshell, bending and de-formation is permitted.

I think statically you are safer trapped into your crumpled milk carton than sliding on your bum under a large goods vehicle. This is bourn out by the number of fatalities of motorcycle pillion passengers, who are usually dumped in the road and either collide with the scenery or run over by passing vehicles... Heaven forbid. Perhaps a roll bar?
Old 11th April 2015, 22:43

Ed i know the statistics are against me and probably they are right.
It goes long way back,when i was 19 i drove my car in the water,there was snow on the road and i could not hold the car.......
There were 4 of us in the car,all wearing seatbelts......
Me and a friend came out,i had problems to unbuckle the belt but managed in time...........2 of are friends died in the backseat and were found still in there seatbelts.
Irony on this is the rear seatbelts were an option which i wanted because it was safer for the passengers,to this day i blame myself for the death of 2 good people who probably were still alive if i had not insisted they put the belts on.
From that day on i promised myself not to wear a belt,over the years it had cost a lot of money in tickets from the police but i don't care.
When i am driving a car with belts i let the passenger make his own choice wearing the belt,i do not.
Old 12th April 2015, 08:47

Sorry to hear that Rene! We were planning on just putting lap belts in ours
Old 12th April 2015, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyhughes11 View Post
Sorry to hear that Rene! We were planning on just putting lap belts in ours
No problem mate,just do as you feel comfortable with.
Altough i always thought lapbelts were pretty useless as your face will make a dent in the dash in case of front collision.
Old 12th April 2015, 13:05

I completely agree with you! Just trying to keep in with a really period look!
Old 12th April 2015, 13:41

René, a sad situation and I sympathise but I have also had friends saved due to wearing their belts so I have the opposite attitude. Since their accident I have ALWAYS worn my belt and feel 'undressed' without it. That said I was pulled up and reprimanded by the police for driving 10 yards from a car park to a ferry without restraining myself or my children for the journey.

I think national statistics speak for themselves from the big drop in deaths and serious injuries since compulsory seat belt use came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyhughes11 View Post
I completely agree with you! Just trying to keep in with a really period look!
Just had a dig...

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/

Download and read? In the seat belt section they are required for only the two outer front seats of vehicles first registered after 1st Jan 1965 up to 1981. They require an upper body restraint but not a lap restraint, so lap only belts have never been acceptable for these seats.
Old 12th April 2015, 16:23
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed View Post
What do you do for the top seat belt anchor, to get it a suitable height relating to your shoulder and strong enough?
Nobody else has had problems relating to top seat belt mounting using a "normal" top frame in a Sammio.
As the height of the body work remains the same + the floor pans are lower + your making a bespoke top frame you should end up with the seat belt top mounts exactly where you want them
Old 13th April 2015, 08:08

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

You can always go for a mix of the two - Healrd steel floor and a self-built top frame. This is an old pic and there is now more bracing. The mounts for the shoulder straps are on the rear bulkhead top cross member.

Old 15th April 2015, 19:40

davecymru is on a distinguished road

What a totally Sammio solution to mounting the shell! I'm impressed