Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 6th February 2009, 17:00
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

The stamps on my block are

Top Line: 25 6E 1
Bottom Line: 20673793

Only the bottom number is on the V5, and it matches up... And the number you have is 8 digits long like mine.

I guess that it was a cock up in the paperwork when it was registered. Maybe time to contact BMW customer services?

If they can prove that the block came from the car with your donor's VIN number, you can prove that the V5 is incorrect.
Old 6th February 2009, 17:10
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Thanks GOO

I suspect I will have problems as the car originally came from Switzerland - I am not sure if the UK will have access to the records.

I am wondering if I can just get away with having the Log Book changed?

Does anyone know if the date that an engine was changed shows on the Log Book?

Patrick - did your bro update the logbook for his car when you did the engine swap and if so does it say anyhting about the date it was changed?

Cheers all

Robin
Old 6th February 2009, 21:03
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
The only numbers I can find are on a machined section just behind the nearside engine mount. Am I looking in the correct place? Because in that case I have a problem - the numbers here bare no resemblance to those in the log book...

In the log book I have 0261200173 and the number on the block is 22404838

Robin
Hhmmmmm....

the number on your engine block looks like the correct length, so looks like it was an error on the paperwork when it was registered in the UK.

You could try contacting Customer.Information@bmwfin.com but when I contacted them with the engine number they needed the cars VIN and could only confirm the date of birth for the car and not the engine?

The email I got back from BMW along with the V5 of the donor was enough for the SVA tester to confirm the engine's age for the gas test. (And yes, they do check all the numbers match up. And again at the DVLA registration check. My MOT tester managed to get my chassis number wrong so had to do another whole test to correct it)

I think your best bet would be to just send the V5 back with the correct engine number although not sure how they will treat it as presumably you donor is SORN'd. With a bit of luck it will be just processed without any questions. I think they are only intrested if you put a bigger engine in a car as it can attract a higher road tax.

....peter
Old 7th February 2009, 20:18
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

As Peter said I contact the above email address they sent me a nice letter confirming the engine number, vin and date of manufacture for the engine. I think I spoke to them on the phone at some point too, very helpful
Old 8th February 2009, 05:27
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

As far as I'm aware there is no record of when the engine is changed on the log book.

I "replaced" my engine in the donor when I started building. SVA and registration guy just made sure that the number on the V5 and the engine was the same. Mine was a new Rover engine that was put in, so no relation at all to the original donor.