Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com
 

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 18th January 2016, 15:17
Nubodi Automotive's Avatar
Nubodi Automotive Nubodi Automotive is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi
I thought you may be interested in my latest monthly article, which i write for Kitcar magazine each month. Hope you can read the tiny writing

  #222  
Old 19th January 2016, 17:28
mobilerobbie mobilerobbie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road
Default M engines

I must say the guys were sort of correct in their approach...
An ordinary Z3, 3 series Beamer or similar have NORMAL engines and can be serviced according to the booklet.

HOWEVER an M rated engine is NOT a standard lump and needs special attention....
I have had similar replies when I bought my first M-powered engine years ago...
They HAVE to record this FOC service since it is crucial for the life of the engine!

Experts all say the car needs to have this service done in order to prevent later problems enginewise.

So, allthought it sounds a bit harsh to leave a car standing for this the guys were right in their opinion
  #223  
Old 19th January 2016, 17:55
Nubodi Automotive's Avatar
Nubodi Automotive Nubodi Automotive is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default

Then there's a lesson here for all..avoid these engines. Buy a 3.0L put a less restrictive exhaust, chip it, cool induction system, remove lots of weight (fit a kit) and then it will have nearly 275 BHP...much more than the Ferrari V12 in the 250 SWB, Rover V8 or a standard 5.7 V8 chevy!!
  #224  
Old 19th January 2016, 18:45
IanA's Avatar
IanA IanA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,015
IanA is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
...remove lots of weight (fit a kit) ...
Has anyone weighed a Tribute kitted Z3???

Smallmead, Reading or Longshot Lane, Bracknell civic amenity sites are probably your nearest weighbridges. No charge unless you need a printed ticket.
  #225  
Old 20th January 2016, 07:23
Nubodi Automotive's Avatar
Nubodi Automotive Nubodi Automotive is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilerobbie View Post
I must say the guys were sort of correct in their approach...
An ordinary Z3, 3 series Beamer or similar have NORMAL engines and can be serviced according to the booklet.

HOWEVER an M rated engine is NOT a standard lump and needs special attention....
I have had similar replies when I bought my first M-powered engine years ago...
They HAVE to record this FOC service since it is crucial for the life of the engine!

Experts all say the car needs to have this service done in order to prevent later problems enginewise.

So, allthought it sounds a bit harsh to leave a car standing for this the guys were right in their opinion
Quentin, is that you....?
  #226  
Old 20th January 2016, 07:44
Roadster's Avatar
Roadster Roadster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 934
Roadster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
Has anyone weighed a Tribute kitted Z3???

Smallmead, Reading or Longshot Lane, Bracknell civic amenity sites are probably your nearest weighbridges. No charge unless you need a printed ticket.
I think you will find a coupe weighs more than a standard Z3 with its roll cage and extra body .
I would guess that all other models weigh about the same as the original car.
  #227  
Old 20th January 2016, 08:25
WorldClassAccident WorldClassAccident is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,463
WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default

Remove the standard seats and you lose about 200KG. Have you felt the weight of the bastards!
  #228  
Old 20th January 2016, 08:44
Roadster's Avatar
Roadster Roadster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 934
Roadster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Remove the standard seats and you lose about 200KG. Have you felt the weight of the bastards!
Yes BMW engineering hahah but not as heavy as Rover 75 seats,
I think they mast have cast iron frames.
  #229  
Old 20th January 2016, 11:43
Lucky@LeMans Lucky@LeMans is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,907
Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Hi
I thought you may be interested in my latest monthly article, which i write for Kitcar magazine each month. Hope you can read the tiny writing

I built a Robin Hood S7 and fitted a fully reconditioned Rover V8. I owned it for 4 years and went every where in it. When I came to sell it there was 10,000 miles on the car. I couldn't believe it when a number of people wouldn't buy it because " it had too many miles for a kit car ". What a joke, it was like new and 2500 miles a year for any other car is nothing !
  #230  
Old 20th January 2016, 13:48
Danny_HUFC Danny_HUFC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Alicante Spain
Posts: 880
Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I think you will find a coupe weighs more than a standard Z3 with its roll cage and extra body .
I would guess that all other models weigh about the same as the original car.
Hmmm what about taking the electric motor out for the hood? Surely that saves weight?
  #231  
Old 20th January 2016, 15:05
Roadster's Avatar
Roadster Roadster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 934
Roadster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
Hmmm what about taking the electric motor out for the hood? Surely that saves weight?
Oh and you loose the spare wheel as it doesn't fit with the kit in place that should save some weight.
Oh but then wire wheels weigh more than alloys


Im still confident that the standard z3 weighs less without the fibreglass in place
  #232  
Old 21st January 2016, 05:14
mobilerobbie mobilerobbie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road
Default weights

Here are the weights of some of my builds:

Standard Z3 2.8 with tribute 250 coupe kit and standard seats and wheels weighs in at 1190 kg
My personal Z3M with a 250 coupe kit and small leather bucketseats but heavy chrome 17 inch wire wheels weighs in at 1340 kg but has the huge M engine
A standard Z3 2.8 with the convertible 250 kit and standard seats weighs 1221 kg
A Z-3 2.8 with the Cobra kit mounted weighs 1240 kg with 19 inch wheels
A Z3 2.8 with Cobra kit and standard wheels and trim comes in at 1180 kg


Rob
  #233  
Old 21st January 2016, 09:47
WorldClassAccident WorldClassAccident is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,463
WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default

And from Wikipedia

Facelift Roadster Models Years Weight Engine Align. CC Power Torque Top Speed 0-60
1.9l 1996-2002 1220 kg (2690 lbs) M43B19 I4 1895cc 87 kW/118PS/117 hp@ 5500 180Nm/133 ft-lb@3900 122 mph (196kmh) 10.0s
2.0l 1999-2000 1270 kg (2800 lbs) M52B20TU I6 1990cc 110 kW/150PS/148 hp@5900 190Nm/140 ft-lb@3500 131 mph (210kmh) 8.5s
2.2l 2000-2002 1280 kg (2822 lbs) M54B22 I6 2171cc 125 kW/170PS/168 hp@6100 210Nm/155 ft-lb@3500 139 mph (224kmh) 7.6s
2.8l 1996-2000 1285 kg (2833 lbs) M52B28TU I6 2793cc 152 kW/207PS/205 hp@5300 280Nm/206 ft-lb@3500 144 mph (231kmh) 6.6s
3.0l 2000-2002 1315 kg (2899 lbs) M54B30 I6 2979cc 170 kW/231PS/228 hp@5900 300Nm/221 ft-lb@3500 149 mph (240kmh) 5.8s
Z3M 2000-2002 1350 kg (2976 lbs) S54B32 I6 3246cc 239 kW/325PS/320 hp@7400 350Nm/240 ft-lb@4900 155 mph (250kmh) 5.1s

So not too much in it
  #234  
Old 21st January 2016, 18:16
Mister Towed's Avatar
Mister Towed Mister Towed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,231
Mister Towed is on a distinguished road
Default

A 95kg weight saving (2.8 to 250 coupe conversion) is not to be sniffed at.

It's about the same weight as a slim, athletic passenger. Surprisingly perhaps, I think I'm not far short of 95kg's...
  #235  
Old 21st January 2016, 18:37
Nubodi Automotive's Avatar
Nubodi Automotive Nubodi Automotive is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default

About the same as mine and Nicks left leg then?
  #236  
Old 21st January 2016, 20:42
IanA's Avatar
IanA IanA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,015
IanA is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
A 95kg weight saving (2.8 to 250 coupe conversion) is not to be sniffed at.

It's about the same weight as a slim, athletic passenger. Surprisingly perhaps, I think I'm not far short of 95kg's...
That's 201 lbs or 14.4 st in old money... slim???
  #237  
Old 21st January 2016, 21:26
Mister Towed's Avatar
Mister Towed Mister Towed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,231
Mister Towed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
That's 201 lbs or 14.4 st in old money... slim???
Absolutely!
  #238  
Old 21st January 2016, 21:27
Mister Towed's Avatar
Mister Towed Mister Towed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,231
Mister Towed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
About the same as mine and Nicks left leg then?
Probably a lot heavier than Nick's left leg. After all, titanium weighs f*ck all...
  #239  
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:35
landmannnn landmannnn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coventry and the Limousin
Posts: 549
landmannnn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
That's 201 lbs or 14.4 st in old money... slim???
Skinny
  #240  
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:46
IanA's Avatar
IanA IanA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oxon
Posts: 1,015
IanA is on a distinguished road
Default

I guess so... if you are 6' 6" tall.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 09:34.

copyright madabout-kitcars.com 2000-2021
terms and conditions | privacy policy