Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th August 2010, 17:58
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Clonks and Bonks...

I am slowly trying to identify and eliminate some of the clonks I get from the rear of the car. I know that there is nothing touching anything it shouldn't but I still get several noises I shouldn't from the rear somewhere when going over rough surfaces.

Have any of guys had this problem and identified the source?

Cheers

PS the front seems relatively well sorted except for the odd ting when going over a surface that is bumpy in sympathy with the natural resonance of the mudguards...
Available from eBay
Old 8th August 2010, 18:40
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

My driver door is rattling a bit which I need to sort out.

At the back my shocks did squeak but that because they are ball jointed not bushes. A bit of WD40 every 6 months sorts it out.

I'd have a look round your arb links if your using them at the back.

You getting a metally noise or a squeak? Squeaks could be the tub rubbing on something. I've used small amounts of foam padding between fibreglass and metal parts where they are not solidly bolted.
Old 8th August 2010, 19:51
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

I found that the rear spring seats fouled the bodywork on particularly large potholes - the power file soon fixed it though!
Old 8th August 2010, 21:06
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I am slowly trying to identify and eliminate some of the clonks I get from the rear of the car. I know that there is nothing touching anything it shouldn't but I still get several noises I shouldn't from the rear somewhere when going over rough surfaces.

Have any of guys had this problem and identified the source?

Cheers

PS the front seems relatively well sorted except for the odd ting when going over a surface that is bumpy in sympathy with the natural resonance of the mudguards...
I get the occasional 'clonk' when something bottoms out. I have put it down using standard shocks and shortened springs but not actually proved that.
I guess taking out a rear spring and moving the suspension up and down with a jack you might locate somthing thing making contact?
Do you get it both sides or just one?

...peter
Old 9th August 2010, 07:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I get the occasional 'clonk' when something bottoms out. I have put it down using standard shocks and shortened springs but not actually proved that.
I guess taking out a rear spring and moving the suspension up and down with a jack you might locate somthing thing making contact?
Do you get it both sides or just one?

...peter
It's both sides. I have had a good look arround and there is nothing obviously fouling. I was very carefull when I assembled the car to make sure the suspension arms had full movement with any problems,

My springs are a bit soft - I wonder sometimes if it is bottoming out rather often - although the ride height looks fine when it is static. Rather than getting new springs I was thinking about trying some grayson spring assistors. They are a rubber "thingy" that fits between the coils on the spring.

I was wondering about the top shock mounts. I re-used the original BMW ones as they looked fine. But as I recall they can be a source of clonks on the E30.

C'mon guys - any other suggestions....

Cheers

Robin
Old 9th August 2010, 07:40
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Top shock mounts - I followed Patricks advice and replaced mine for new E30 Cabriolet ones. Apparently they're a bit more resilient.

Also - did you fit the standard e30 drop links on the rear ARB? I know that this could be a source of clunking, as they can foul on the chassis at full travel. Again, following Patricks lead I swapped the exisiting E30 ones for shorter ones - E36 compact, I think? (Not had my coffee this morning - brain still foggy... )
Old 9th August 2010, 08:03
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

It's E46 Cabrio top mounts:

http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7
http://www.msportster.co.uk/faq.asp?FAQ=1

Still not sure about the drop links - I can't find them on Patricks site now... Ill see if I mentioned it on mine.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:56
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I don't have a rear ARB (or front one for that matter). I think I might try changing the shock mounts for the E46 cabi ones as suggested.

Can anyone confirm the part number? Looking at the OEM BMW web site it seems to be 33526779670

I don't want to get the wrong bit....

Cheers

Robin
Old 9th August 2010, 09:49
Enthusiast

Our car did bottom out with two people, the GAZ shocks are adjustable so just made them 4 or so clicks stiffer and it's been fine since.

The BMW Part number for the e46 vert top mount is 33526754096 - I got it from E30zone if you search there you can confirm. I think some part numbers have changed in time due to upgrades - those top mounts have always been an issue.

Old 9th August 2010, 12:04
Enthusiast

Thanks Patrick. Looks like a trip to the local BMW agent is on the books...

Robin
Old 9th August 2010, 20:29
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
It's both sides. I have had a good look arround and there is nothing obviously fouling. I was very carefull when I assembled the car to make sure the suspension arms had full movement without any problems,

Cheers

Robin
That knocks my theory on the head!

I took a quick look on eBay and there are lots of e46 top mounts for sale with a variety of prices from about £10 to £129!!

Eurocarparts have e46 SKF mounts for about £20 a pair. (I wonder who makes the BMW OE?)

What's the theory on which bit clonks? Is it the top of the shock mounting hitting the metal mount?

...peter
Old 10th August 2010, 11:02
Enthusiast

If the rubber softens or tears then the shock will bash into the top of the tower.

There are aftermarket top mounts but I've only seen those in the states. BMW were using those on warranty replacements. I've got a set on my daily to go with my Koni yellow / eibach suspension setup. They come with a plate that goes on top of the body work to strengthen it - not an issue in the Sportster as the metal looks substantial enough to me
Old 10th August 2010, 12:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
TI took a quick look on eBay and there are lots of e46 top mounts for sale with a variety of prices from about £10 to £129!!

Eurocarparts have e46 SKF mounts for about £20 a pair. (I wonder who makes the BMW OE?)

...peter
Ordered some SKF ones from Eurocarparts.

I will let everyone know if it cures the problem!

Robin
Old 10th August 2010, 15:28

Sorton is on a distinguished road

After I uprated the suspension on my old Sport (following a rear spring break) it used to eat these mounts so I will be very interested to see how you get on.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:50
Enthusiast

Well I fitted the new top mounts for the rear dampers. Still got the same noise - DOH!

While I was at it I noticed that the large nuts that screw onto the large stud that forms the upper spring plate are very slack on their threads. It's possible that dropping down into a hole and then coming out of it again causes the nut to move slightly in a vertical plane against the studs. So now I am looking for some more nuts to act as lock nuts which will eliminate this problem. Does anyone happen to know what the thread size is (other than ginormous)? It seems to be 25mm but I am not sure that M25 exists....

Cheers

Robin
Old 28th August 2010, 08:26

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Standard metric threads in that region are M24 or M27. Metric threads go up to M68 at least. Now that is F**king huge!
Old 29th August 2010, 18:50
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris. They seem to be 24mm. The next problem is where to get them from. They are
way bigger than anything Namrick supplies and most of the on-line shops that do stock them will only sell a minimum of 100. Hmm

Robin
Old 29th August 2010, 21:44

Sorton is on a distinguished road

I use Wentin Fasteners in Yeovil ( http://www.wentinfasteners.co.uk/loc...lated-bzp.htm). They sell singly from bins when I visit the shop so they might send you a couple.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:42

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Yep, Wentin is the bee's knees. I got all my stainless M6 dome headed bolts from there. If they won't send you any let me know and I could pop in next Saturday and post them on.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:17
Enthusiast

OK - thanks guys. I will try them tomorrow.

Cheers

Robin