Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 18th March 2018, 18:20

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road
Default Another one gone?

According to a post on Pistonheads, a certain manufacturer has stamped down on yet another bodykit or assembler (unsure which model/models or extent of action) - does anyone know anything about this?
Available from eBay
Old 18th March 2018, 18:59

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

???
Old 18th March 2018, 19:06

molleur is on a distinguished road

Yes, please do tell!
Old 18th March 2018, 19:11

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

I was hoping the reference to Pistonheads would avoid my having to reveal directly because I wonder how accurate the info (posted on PH) is. Here goes... this is what's been posted by an owner of a SWB250C

Hi all, I'm new on here. I picked up my Ferrari 250 tribute at the end of last year, built by Mr Bird.
I am both delighted with my beautiful new car and frustrated at some of the "finishing" that Mr Bird has left me with.
Apparently Ferrari have put him out of business

Please don't shoot the messenger (me). If it's not accurate please remove or instruct me to remove this message.
Old 18th March 2018, 19:33

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

But everything thing Mr Bird did was brilliant - he told us so, and so did his sock puppets.
Old 18th March 2018, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
I was hoping the reference to Pistonheads would avoid my having to reveal directly because I wonder how accurate the info (posted on PH) is. Here goes... this is what's been posted by an owner of a SWB250C

Hi all, I'm new on here. I picked up my Ferrari 250 tribute at the end of last year, built by Mr Bird.
I am both delighted with my beautiful new car and frustrated at some of the "finishing" that Mr Bird has left me with.
Apparently Ferrari have put him out of business

Please don't shoot the messenger (me). If it's not accurate please remove or instruct me to remove this message.
The website is still up and running so I can only assume that isn't the case. I'm sure that if you provide his company with a donor car, a kit and some cash they will assemble a car for you.
Old 19th March 2018, 09:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If someone plasters a car in badges that belong to another manufacturer then surely they can't be surprised if that manufacturer gets pissed off, I know I would be.
The manufacturer concerned has about 80 years of history carefully looking after their name only for somebody to steal the name and place it on a far inferior product.

It would appear that the same car without the fake badging is being left alone.
I can see the appeal of a 60's/70's/80's replica when the cost of buying an original costs millions, however, the current crop of replica's of current models I feel is just wrong.
To tell someone that my car was a fake current Ferrari I would feel, well a fake. It would be like admitting that I can't and never will be able to afford the real thing so I will pretend instead, probably whilst wearing my velour tracksuit that I bought from a knock-off shop on holiday.
Old 19th March 2018, 13:58

Barber is on a distinguished road

I can understand that an owner might see his beautiful car as even more beautiful with the badging. But suppliers have been pushing the product as "replicas" with a significant mark up for the build work. This is aways going to end in tears, usually with damage to the reputation of the kit scene. Odd behaviour for people who aim to make a living out of it.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Only Richard@Nubodi knows the truth, but he doesn’t post here very often these days.

Plus if lawyers have got involved there may also be a Non Disclosure Agreement involved.

Assuming the poster on PistonHeads is genuine, he says he picked up his car in July 2017.

But he doesn’t say when Richard told him that he had been shut down?

It would have to be recently, as Richard posted this on 6th January 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
…We are still doing the kali and Koupe just have not got around to modifying the website for New Year. Planning on photoshopping the badges off the pics to make sure we dont upset Ferrari like DNA did…
Unfortunately, on the PistonHeads’ thread, JeffH/666 talks about a destruction order being placed on this car.

If Jeff is right, that really would be a crying shame, as this is one of the nicest examples of the kit around.

But, as always, what do I know?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 20th March 2018, 09:34

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

I believe that this vehicle was being sold by a third party with all that badging. Not unreasonable for Ferrari to take legal action.
Old 20th March 2018, 11:31

stidds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Only Richard@Nubodi knows the truth, but he doesn’t post here very often these days.

Plus if lawyers have got involved there may also be a Non Disclosure Agreement involved.

Assuming the poster on PistonHeads is genuine, he says he picked up his car in July 2017.

But he doesn’t say when Richard told him that he had been shut down?

It would have to be recently, as Richard posted this on 6th January 2018.

Unfortunately, on the PistonHeads’ thread, JeffH/666 talks about a destruction order being placed on this car.

If Jeff is right, that really would be a crying shame, as this is one of the nicest examples of the kit around.

But, as always, what do I know?

Cheers, Paul.

Hi guys,

I have not posted before but have been gathering information and ideas etc for a Z3 250 SWB build.

However I do have something to add to the thread, I emailed Nubodi about 2 weeks ago regarding the 250 SWB and they told me that they no longer offer the Coupe or Kali kits.

Sean
Old 20th March 2018, 12:39

Tribute have their kits listed on the website.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:47

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

And not an "F" badge in sight.
Maybe a rename is in order
280swb so that everyone knows it has the larger 2.8 engine, really not worth bothering with the smaller engines.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:55

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I think the problem is when another company trades on Ferrari's name and reputation.

Tribute doesn't mention Ferrari.
Old 20th March 2018, 13:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidds View Post
… I emailed Nubodi about 2 weeks ago regarding the 250 SWB and they told me that they no longer offer the Coupe or Kali kits…
Sean – Thanks for the update.

Just to be clear to other readers, as Lucky says, Tribute Automotive still sell both versions of the SWB kit here:

http://www.tributeautomotive.com/250swb.html

As others have also said, the fact that Tribute describe their kits as “1960's style hard top or soft top based on the BMW Z3” and do not have a “F” badge in sight is why they do not have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidds View Post
… have been gathering information and ideas etc for a Z3 250 SWB build…
Good luck with your build, Paul.
Old 20th March 2018, 15:21

stidds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sean – Thanks for the update.

Just to be clear to other readers, as Lucky says, Tribute Automotive still sell both versions of the SWB kit here:

http://www.tributeautomotive.com/250swb.html

As others have also said, the fact that Tribute describe their kits as “1960's style hard top or soft top based on the BMW Z3” and do not have a “F” badge in sight is why they do not have a problem.

Sorry I should have said that I have spoken to Tribute and they can definitely supply the kit, it was just Nubodi that said they no longer supply them.

Quote:

Good luck with your build, Paul.
Thank you Paul.
Old 20th March 2018, 15:55

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Interestingly the Tribute site does use the Jaguar word, presumably they are not so litigious?
Old 20th March 2018, 23:06

03cuprar is on a distinguished road

Tribute probably have an additional level of legal protection because the development of the 250 was entirely posted on this site. The body was built around the wooden former that was purchased legitimately and there was not a F*****i in sight, so I think it would be hard to sustain an argument of breach of copyright.
Old 21st March 2018, 06:33

redratbike is on a distinguished road

And Chris has been down this road with the Bentley lookalike so more worldly wise about this
Old 21st March 2018, 13:55

Barber is on a distinguished road

Correct, and we are being very circumspect about the development of the Z3gato. With small producers, it is near impossible to put up a fight, so best not get into one in the first place if your intention is to stay in business and do right by your customers.