Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 11th November 2012, 15:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Perspective:

Mister Towed, Froggyman & SeaNick - Thanks for the encouragement.
I will try to keep the faith & simply accept that things take much longer than I expect/hope.
I am also sure that the more effort I have to put it, the more pride there will be at the end.

I think the fact that I am still at a "tinkering" stage at the moment doesn't help much either.
But once I start connecting things permanently I will feel real progress is being made.
And in the great scheme of things, this is only a car building project, no one has died.

Obviously I didn't want to be working on the car during the 2 minutes silence.
But I did get a few hours after that to get a bit more done...

Fuel & Brake Hard Lines:
I need to order some new clips to re-attach these, but for now I have just unclipped them.
This means they will not be in the way of the Cordite frame or the floor pans.

Floor Pans
With my new positive philosophy in place, I think I took the initial fitting quite well.

So it was time to attack the box they came in with my Stanley knife and make a template.
( I kept the "hole" for the lowered part of the pans so I could position it within the frame. )

I also put one of my seats roughly in place to highlight the impact of its reclining angle.

This means the lowered floor section needs to be in quite a forward position.

Once this was in place I could measure the relative locations of the framework.
I then cut sections out of the outer section of card to avoid the frame, until it fitted.

This gives me a guide to cutting the floor pan which now looks like this.

Before I started cutting the driver's side floor, I thought I'd practise on the passenger side.
My first thoughts were to simply flip the template over to the other side, but no.
The frame work spaced differently on either side which means the "hole" doesn't line up.

The gap in the driver's side frame is 13 cm, but it is 17 cm on the passenger side.

So I will need to cut another template for the passenger side.
At this point I had to stop for lunch with my family, so I will go back out soon.

The other things to note is the edges of the floor pans are very "wavy" in places.
If this causes a problem when fitting I will cut these sections out and replace them.

The other thing that occurred to me was to check AndyP57's floors.

He certainly has straighter cuts than I do (I thought I needed the curves to help fitting).
But I seem to have an extra bracket on the bottom of my frame that Andy doesn't.
( Initially I thought this was the seat belt bracket, but it isn't, I just need to take a photo of it. )
So if this bracket is not required I will cut if off and that might make fitting the floors easier.

Which means I will wait a bit longer before taking an angle grinder & hack saw to my floors.
This is definitely a job where you want to measure twice and cut once!

Skyfall:
Well my wife & I took advantage of a baby sitter to go to the cinema last night.
I really enjoyed the film and it was good to see the return of the ultimate Bond car...

Right I'm off out again to do a little more before it gets dark.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
SeaNick I can't get a lock up as I promised to be "around" when working on the car.
It wouldn't be fair at home if I had to go somewhere else to do the work & I can live with that.
Some form of pop up cover in the front drive may be an option a bit later in the build.

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 10:13..
Available from eBay
Old 11th November 2012, 15:18

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

I then cut sections out of the outer section of card to avoid the frame, until it fitted.

Looking good, but i think you may need a bit of reinforcement on that before you bolt the seat in?
Old 12th November 2012, 19:15

seanick is on a distinguished road

PS
SeaNick I can't get a lock up as I promised to be "around" when working on the car.
It wouldn't be fair at home if I had to go somewhere else to do the work & I can live with that.
Some form of pop up cover in the front drive may be an option a bit later in the build.[/QUOTE]

It is tricky, I think we have a young family of similar age. Finding time for the project and not missing out on time with the kids is difficult. Davecymru seemed to manage it well! As my car is not at home the only way I can, fit mine in is to work on it evenings, just afterthe kids have gone to bed, like now! (Just waiting for some filler to go off as I type this).

I wonder how many other builders are juggling families too, apart from Gary J?
Old 12th November 2012, 19:31

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I have an eleven year old son and a very demanding wife myself. I had hoped No.1 son would be able to help me with the build but he's still a bit young. Wife's been very tolerant these last eighteen months, but she really wants me to finish it now.

Current plan is to buy a shabby classic (mini, moggie or herald) in a couple of years, restore it with his help as a way of passing on some of the engineering skills and present it to him as his first car on his seventeenth birthday. My thinking is that if he's worked hard to rebuild the thing he won't drive it like he stole it. Should be a lot cheaper on the insurance and look pretty cool too. Just don't tell his mum...
Old 12th November 2012, 19:39

Mine are 3 and 5, so they are in bed by 7.30.
I guess we all have
Very lovely and understanding wives/partners, and we are very very lucky!
Old 12th November 2012, 19:43

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Mine are 3 and 5, so they are in bed by 7.30.
I guess we all have
Very lovely and understanding wives/partners, and we are very very lucky!
WHY YES, MY WIFE IS JUST PERFECT AND NEVER LOOKS OVER MY SHOULDER WHEN I'M TYPING...
Old 12th November 2012, 19:59

Well I dont know where you found a font that big!
Old 13th November 2012, 19:21

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Family Time:
Cheers SeaNick, Oxford1360 & Mr T.
Clearly trying to build a car & maintain a family life is a juggling act that a few of us are attempting.
So I'm prepared to take longer to finish the build rather than spend too much time away from my family.

My daughters are 12 & 10 and have helped with frame painting, cleaning parts for Ebay & other odd jobs.
It is nice they show an interest & that they will be able to say they helped when the car is finally finished.

I've also thought about doing a project with them as a first car, but would definitely want a garage for that!
Either way, I'd like them to have a basic understanding of how a car works, be able to change a wheel, etc.

Lowered Floor Pans - More Thoughts...
I think I'm beginning to have nightmares about getting these floors to fit in the right place.

The back of my seats already have a fixed reclined angle built into them when the seat base is horizontal.
But the seat base will sit in the reclined angle built into the lowered floor pans, effectively tipped backwards.
So now, when the back of the seat hits the rear of the cockpit, the front of the seat will be further forward.

See this rough (and I mean very rough) sketch...

Clearly there is a limit to how far forward the "drop" in the floor can go before it hits the frame work.
Also, as the floor edges need to be trimmed to fit around the frame, I can't really start adjusting in situ.

So I need to get my tape measure out again and really get my head around the space I have to play with.

Until then, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 10:36..