Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th May 2018, 00:48

molleur is on a distinguished road
Default School me on wire wheels

I see that some have tried Jaguar wires on the 250 SWB. Mine will be shipping from Chris very soon. I would like to learn what works and what to avoid by way of ebay Jag wires. Lots available in the USA, but I have no idea what will work. Wether bolt on, or real knock-on.
Early 2.8 Z3 (1998) donor.

I have a friend that would blast & powder coat for cost of materials. Help, please!
Available from eBay
Old 4th May 2018, 07:06

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Easiest way is bolt on. Jag wheels will go straight on to the BMW hub. The pcd is slightly different 120bmw, 120.7 Jag. I used wobble bolts but not sure if they are really necessary. I also fitted spiggot rings. The first set were 73.9-72.6 which are the exact size. For my second set I couldn't get this size so fitted 74.1-72.6 and this seems fine.
I have a set of MWS bolt ons and also a set of Daytons. The Daytons seem to weigh about half the amount which makes them much easier to mount than the MWS. The centre hub is smaller which also looks better.
If you were buying new in the US I would buy the Dayton knock off wheels. The knock off mount is much slimmer than a normal knock off hub. The normal knock off hub makes the wheels stick out too far. Daytons were fitted on Smash's car, he did fit 16" and had slight clearance issues, I would stick to 15".
Most people fit 70 profile tyres but I found most 70 profile tyres are for small vans so don't have the correct speed rating and also tend to have very square edges. I fitted 215/65x15 tyres. They fill the arches nicely and are much more readily available with higher speed ratings. They are much more common so are much cheaper.

My MWS chrome wires had rust issues so they were blasted and chrome powder coated. This does look very good but it isn't as good as chrome. The MWS have a silicone bead on the inside to seal them, this was left in place when they were blasted and powder coated and it all stayed in place and they are still air tight so don't worry about it going in the oven.
Old 4th May 2018, 08:23

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

The above response is one of the reasons that I love this forum: Ask a question, get an answer.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:41

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I got some of these adaptors made for mine. They simply bolt onto the existing hubs and the wheels slide on. Be aware that Jaguar and Aston Martin have different spline widths. From memory Jags are 52mm and Aston are 42mm which is important when getting the adaptors made up.

Old 4th May 2018, 10:01

Any idea how much they were and where they came from?

I did have a hunt a while ago and they were coming out at about £400, which is more than a second hand set of bolt ons.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:33

IanA is on a distinguished road

You can see my MWS adaptors here.
They cost £100 per corner including spinners. MWS told me that there is nothing on a wheel that can be measured to match the 52mm designation. I bought 4 s/h E-Type "curly hub" wheels which have 5" rims. I use 195/65x15 V rated Falken AS200 Allseason tyres. The Aston wheels on WCA's Z300S are slightly wider.
One of my wheels started to sound a bit iffy and I was able to replace it with an almost new wheel which has the later spokes- thicker at the hub end. I will replace the other 3 with same in due course.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:03

Great info, thanks guys!
Old 4th May 2018, 13:17

IanA is on a distinguished road

Further- the MWS Jaguar adaptors have 5 holes each countersunk at 45deg to match the wheel nuts on the standard car.
The BMW wheel bolts have a 60deg countersink. I bought some drill bits with the correct angle and re-machined them myself.
Old 4th May 2018, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
The above response is one of the reasons that I love this forum: Ask a question, get an answer.
Me too! Without this forum I would be at a loss for a lot of details, having purchased a Tribute 250 SWB coupe that is shipping to the USA next week. It's in the crate now.
Old 4th May 2018, 17:48

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Grassbank sell the adaptors for cheap

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-KNOCK-ON-...IAAOSwzWla3FOi

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/72-SPOKE-CH...MAAOSwH2dagfKx

Last edited by redratbike; 4th May 2018 at 17:54..
Old 4th May 2018, 20:23

Grassbank also has a set of Dayton wire wheels for sale on eBay. They are not selling them as Z3 but I presume they ordered them for their 250 but were too wide (wrong offset).Last listing on previous post.
Everyone can make a mistake (except for me obviously).
Old 8th May 2018, 18:17

Ace is on a distinguished road

Just curious for the bolt on jag wheels, what width are you guys using? 5,6,7"? I have been looking at a lot of photos trying to decide which width fits the SWB body the best.
Old 8th May 2018, 19:12

Mine came from an XJ/XJS which are listed as 6 1/2"
Old 12th May 2018, 22:08

trev dunn is on a distinguished road
Default Bolt in Wire Wheels

Mine came with the car from Chris but are just as JAG/TVR say MWS Bolt on Jag with adaptors and spinners that fit into the hubs and are held in place with crub screw on the inside of the hubs MWS should be able to help with them as well. Good luck with the build,
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:50

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Default Quick bit of advice needed please!

Hey guys, after hours of searching I have eventually come across a set of bolt ons that sound a possible. Only issue is they are in a part of nz I can’t get to easily to view them and no chance to try them out on the car.

Details are: 15” Bolt-on’s, 7” rim width. Chrome 72 spoke. Seller info is they fit jag or bmw, pcd requested and is 5x118 so slightly diff to the bmw 5x120 or Jag 5x120.7 Centre bore is 70mm.

Sound promising and the price is not cheap but manageable. From the photos the hub offset looks reasonable so whilst not heavy dishes they don’t appear to be offset so the hub sticks out.

Advice is appreciated for a z3 fitment, will they bolt straight on? Will I need to consider slight mods to the wheel or likely different mounting bolts for them to fit? I know about the wobble bolts but that starts the discussion about whether they are even legal in nz. Trying to work that out. I have a day or so to make a call on these. Cheers!
Photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79D02575-1085-4824-8995-0E1296F1C8DB.jpg (15.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 24th June 2018 at 03:58.. Reason: Added centre bore dims.
Old 23rd June 2018, 20:02

Default More photos.

A few more photos of the wheels, technical difficulties first time around.
Cheers.
Old 24th June 2018, 12:24

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

http://www.ogrimsdirect.com/ProductD...ductCode=R15X7

This company looks worth investigating
Old 24th June 2018, 17:35

They look like MWS wheels but 5x118 is wrong. I don't think they will fit. If you ask the seller for the details stamped on the inside of the rim and ask MWS they will tell you the fit and the offset.
Old 24th June 2018, 22:45

Thanks for the inputs guys. Yeh the 5x118 for me is a bit to work out. The wobble bolts are supposed to be able to provide overall 2.3mm pcd adjustment which suggests they may fit, but without being able to check it in the hub a big risk. Will check the stamping, I think x516 is on the rear of the hub face. Appreciate the advice!

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 24th June 2018 at 22:48.. Reason: .
Old 25th June 2018, 08:21

Find out from the seller what they were fitted too. If a Jag then the OCD isn't 118.
I bought a set of bolt ons that were meant to be for a Jag. Turns out that they came with a Rolls Royce that the seller had bought. In the end MWS confirmed that they were for a late 80's 5 series BMW.