Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 7th March 2013, 18:07
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Unhappy One Hell OF A Hiatus!

Hi all,

It's been a very long time since I posted anything on here or done anything with my 5exi build come to that.
Lot's of work and home commitments keep getting in the way. Not to mention a prolapsed disc in my back. Now that is pain!

I still have some home DIY to be done over the coming months, however I am trying to immerse myself back into the build by reading up on the forum etc.
I had already decided to do hydraulic clutch and MGF Gear Linkage mods plus various other things before the hiatus.
So this will entail a lot of undoing what I have previously done. Not a real problem, however I still can't get to grips with the fact that I have an original MK1 chassis.
What is the general concensus? Get it shipped to someone like Trackside developments or Marlin for updating/modifying? Or can the original suspension set up be made to work?

Lastly it would appear that SVA has morphed into IVA whilst I wasn't looking! Any major changes I should be concerned about?

Regards

Mike
Available from eBay
Old 7th March 2013, 19:06
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike.

I found the best way to get back into the sprit of building, is to have a ride in a 5EXI on a nice sunny day. Gave me some get up and go!

I'm sure I had the mk1 chassis as well. I did exactly what you was planning, MGF gear linkage and hydraulic clutch. Did the hydraulic clutch during the build due to the needing a lead foot to press the pedal. As well as cables snapping under the front bulk head being reported. Not a nice place to get at.

The linkage I did once the car was one the road. Both made a huge difference to the gear selection.

The difference with the car after going to TD, was huge. Car feels more like a go kart now and gives more confidence. But it's another mod that could be done post IVA.

I did the SVA so not sure of the differences. But just do what you can in preparation. You will keep looking for faults over and over. My advise, do what you can and give the car a couple of checks. Then go for it.
Old 7th March 2013, 22:24
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Thanks John for the advice and encouragement. I think really what has been really holding me back was the suspension set up and some of let's say the occurrences with the original MK 1 chassis.
I think I will grab the bull by the horns and get that bit sorted and then be able to move on. Can you PM me the details of TD (contact person) and if you can what you had done and rough costs. That's the delicate bit convincing my wife about spending even more money on something that has sat un disturbed in the garage for the last 5 years!

Mike
Old 8th March 2013, 17:47
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

http://trackdevelopments.co.uk/contact

Dave Gallop is the man to speak to.

I think it's fair to say I have V1 full geometry change, and John I has V2.

The primary difference between V1 and V2 is that V1 requires chassis modifications, and V2 doesn't.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the difference between the Marlin dynamic geometry and the TD geometry is night and day on the road. The way my car handled from factory was utterly hideous.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:45
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi John.

What is the differences between the V1 & V2? I always thought I had the early chassis and Dave did a redesign on mine so no chassis modifications were necessary. I could be wrong though. Been a little while now since mine was done.
Old 8th March 2013, 20:41
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default An alternative view.....

Mike

Sounds like you are half convinced that you need to re-started and even looking forward to the re-start.

I have just completed the IVA on my 5Exi and its all pretty straight forward, I did an SVA on a different car and the fundamentals are the same and more to the point the 5Exi will pass without issue. One change for instance was that the seats need fitted headrests, where as the SVA did not.
If your not fitting the window screen for the IVA you still need a rear view mirror by the way.

Dave Gallop will complete any work you want on the car you are prepared to pay for and the latest suspension design that he completed on 'JC-Coops' car (another one for sale here) is the latest incarnation with less changes to the chassis and further improved trig.

I will be controversial now and recommend that you complete the car to the original kit design as planned. Completing the car with all the original design issues appears ill advised but is the quickest and cheapest course to the completion of the car and seeing real progress for you and the observers! Changing the gear change is beneficial but its time consuming and will cause other issues that will need to be solved as you go along. There is a long detailed thread on the mods for this.

The car will still pass the IVA without modification, its the drivability that needs the modifications to be completed.

Once you are IVA'd you have better leverage to spend more and a desire to improve.

The mods that are important are the rear frame welding in and all corner suspension upgrade.

The mods that are nice to have are the improved rear disk upgrade, clutch upgrade, the gear change upgrade and improved engine mounts. I have also fitted the fat rear arches giving me the capability to fit 17” wheels on the rear.

So you now need to make a decision !! Pay Dave to complete the car and pre IVA it for you.

Or have the mechanical changes completed by Dave and complete the car yourself before IVA.

..Cash vs Time..

One other thing that may cause you to speed up is that the local DVLA offices are closing so any document presentation to your local office will turn into posting to Swansea. I have used my local office a number of time and got it wrong and sorted it quickly where as posting to Swansea is more problematic. For example I took all my documents to register the car and presented the Cover Note from the insurance company (cover note because it was VIN based layup cover) wrong; I needed the certificate to get it registered, a cover note is not acceptable, cost me a return trip but saves a potential postal loss and a return/return postal delay to Swansea.

Keep us up to date we are all interested in the progress.

Old 8th March 2013, 23:26
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
Hi John.

What is the differences between the V1 & V2? I always thought I had the early chassis and Dave did a redesign on mine so no chassis modifications were necessary. I could be wrong though. Been a little while now since mine was done.
You have V2 TD suspension design, which uses the Marlin standard chassis hard points (plus mounts for ARBs). My car meanwhile has different wishbones AND the chassis hard points moved. Significant cost difference, and assuming the Marlin chassis is true (anyone checked theirs?) less scope for a misalignment issue during the modifications.