Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th May 2018, 17:54

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Default MOT emissions changes

Would have added this a reply to earlier thread, but got access denied when trying to open any existing thread. Just got my new copy of CKC and in the news sections is confirmation that there won’t be any changes to emissions testing for kit cars.
It was only a phone call to them from the DfT at that stage but hopefully written confirmation will follow.
Available from eBay
Old 29th May 2018, 09:08

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

I spoke to Adam Wilkins of CKC at Stoneleigh to confirm that the Kit car emissions proposals had been abandoned...he said that as well as the phone call they had received an email from the DfT.

I'm keeping an eye on the DfT website but as Peterux has said in the BIVA Builds thread on this forum there has been no update of the official website. https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ity-and-safety
It appears that they are still analysing the feedback!
Old 29th May 2018, 17:47
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Yep they don’t seem particularly joined up on this. The revised (as of 20th May) mot manual now says all kits with first use after 1998 are tested for emissions as per date of registration if no limit shown on V5, the test relaxation for age of engine has been removed completely for any vehicle first used after 2002.

So they need to not only update the IVA to reflect the u turn on kitcar emisions, but will also have to amend the mot test guide again because since the current one came into force on the 20th of May, lots of kitcars will fail emisions based on the current new mot manual requirements.

John
Old 29th May 2018, 22:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post
Yep they don’t seem particularly joined up on this. The revised (as of 20th May) mot manual now says all kits with first use after 1998 are tested for emissions as per date of registration if no limit shown on V5, the test relaxation for age of engine has been removed completely for any vehicle first used after 2002.

So they need to not only update the IVA to reflect the u turn on kitcar emisions, but will also have to amend the mot test guide again because since the current one came into force on the 20th of May, lots of kitcars will fail emisions based on the current new mot manual requirements.

John
Hi John,
you raise a number of interesting points.
The Marlin Sportster that I built was SVA'd and registered in 2008.
It's emissions were tested in line with then current SVA rules according to the engine age.
When it was registered the emissions test requirement was printed on the V5C document on the front page (IIRC under the notes section).
It should be no issue getting an MOT although you may need to show the the V5C to the tester.

I assume that the date of 1998 referred to in the MOT manual is when the SVA became a requirement. I would suggest that any owner of a car who knows that it was SVA or IVA tested and does not have the emissions on the V5 should contact the DVLA to get it corrected.

Re the latest consultation, as far as i can see, I don't believe the IVA manual has been changed to reflect the proposal so no update required.

Of course, the new MOT rules will be a big problem for any car that is driving around on the original donor plates or somehow missed the SVA or IVA.

It doesn't help anyone that the MOT refers to 'Kit Cars' but the DVLA registration process has three different types of kit cars namely Kit-built Vehicles, Kit-converted Vehicles and Radically Altered Vehicles, all with different definitions. Most MOT tester won't have a clue on the difference and the requirements. Anyone buying a second hand Kit Car should check the registration document is correct in every detail and walk away from anything that is not 100% correct.
Old 29th May 2018, 23:09
Enthusiast

Hi Peter

Couldn’t agree more, the whole thing is a confused mess. Hopefully they will get their act together and sort out the ambiguous definitions.

I think if a car is being presented for IVA it will be fine, but it could cause real problems for some existing cars that are on the road and have no limit on the V5c.

As you say careful research on the registration of a vehicle would be essential before parting with cash.

Hope your Sabre is progressing well, looking forward to seeing the finished item.

John
Old 6th June 2018, 14:43
Enthusiast

Well it looks like some of the confusion is starting to be seen at MOT after 20th May.

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/vie...php?tid=212637

I guess we need to make sure we understand how our particular car fits into the requirement so we can argue the case at MOT.

For cars put through IVA after 20th May 2018 I can't see a problem at subsequent MOT's, as long as the V5 has the IVA emission limits clearly shown on it as it will then be tested on the limit shown on the V5.

The confusion they introduce always seems to make things much harder than they are!. If the MOT testers are confused and the online test system doesn't match the guidance it must make it a nightmare for the testers.

John