Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 23rd November 2012, 12:37
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 13!

Not a lot to see this week as I've been cleaning, sanding, de-rusting and painting the front end of the chassis. (The plan is to do the front end, rebuild the front suspension and then turn the car round and do the back end). It's not been the best of weather for painting and it gets quite dark in my garage. I'm using hammerite satin as it's very tolerant to multiple coats and I can put some more on next summer when it's warmer and drier. The rust is only superficial and the chassis is like a battleship.

I raised the front of the chassis up on a workmate to make it easier to work on.

Chassis prep - front by marlinpeter, on Flickr

In other news, I bought a complete set of Royale Owners club magazines from 1995 to 2009 so I'm spending hours reading all the building tips from the past!

Hopefully, I'l have some more interesting pictures next week....

...peter
Old 28th November 2012, 19:42
Enthusiast

Week 14 has been exciting as I have been able to finally start bolting things back together and truly start the rebuild.

Despite the appalling weather I managed to get a few coats of paint on the chassis. It's come up looking like a new chassis so the rebuild of the front suspension can begin.

Chassis front end painted by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Painted chassis by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The front suspension utilises the Sierra front cross member. Here it is after cleaning and repainting.

Sierra front cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So it didn't take me long to offer it up and bolt it in position.

Bolted cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The upper wishbone bushes are Ford Cortina Mark 3. (this is a real vintage car!!). They have an outer metal casing that has to be pressed into the wishbone. I didn't fancy swapping these casin but found out that Flo-flex do a poly bush that sits inside the old metal casing. I was worried that the old rubber bushes might be 'vulcanised' to the casing but they weren't and slid straight out, leaving a nice clean hole for the poly bush.

Front upper wishbone bushes by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The wishbones are about 6mm wider than the chassis mounting points. The original builder had done the wishbones up tight to close this gap putting them under strain. I will put washers in here to give me some caster adjustment, just like the Sportster.

Front suspension - trial fitting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

As previously mentioned, I want to fit a power steering rack. I've now got a column extension piece off a Mark 2 Granada which is the right length but just fouls on the chassis.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It also just touches the upper wishbone bush which is more of a consequence of using the poly bushes.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

A small modification to improve the clearance from the suspension support to the power steering rack extension.

Steeering extension clearance by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next weeks plan is to complete re-asembling the front suspension and turn the car round so I can start work on the rear suspension.

......peter
Old 29th November 2012, 08:59

Peepsy is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter
Really enjoying your build, you are going to end up with a fantastic car. You spoke of IVA earlier in your thread, is that because it is not registered correctly ?
regards
Roger (Tribute Build )
Old 29th November 2012, 12:14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsy View Post
Hi Peter
Really enjoying your build, you are going to end up with a fantastic car. You spoke of IVA earlier in your thread, is that because it is not registered correctly ?
regards
Roger (Tribute Build )
Hi Roger,
glad you are enjoying my updates!

It will need IVA because although the car was started in 1994 it was never finished by the original builder so has never been registered on the road.
But I knew this when I bought it so was expecting to have to go for IVA. It should be interesting, (and the extra cost is a PITA) but there shouldn't be anything insurmountable with a little thought and planning.

....peter
Old 6th December 2012, 20:48
Enthusiast

Week 15 - great progress this week (mainly because the weather's been too crap to do anything else!!)

I've re-assembled the front suspension sufficiently to be able to wheel the chassis out of the garage and turn it around to work on the rear end. I've still got a few things to do like fit new shocks, lock nuts and swap that track rod end which is on the wrong side in this photo. The power steering rack is also a tad too long so I need to shorten it or fit the track rods from the manual rack which are 2cm shorter than these. I've ordered a Granada Track Control Arm which are rumoured to be a bit longer than the Sierra TCA's to see what that does to the suspension geometry.

Front suspension - rebuilt by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So I've now turned the chassis round so that I can refurb the back end suspension

Back end before dissmantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I then started dismantling the rear suspension and transmission....

Rear hubs dissmantled by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Hub removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Rear hub and back plate by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Progress so far by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I've also been having fun taking apart the drive shaft CV joints...

Drive shaft - CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Ford CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

There is very liitle sign of wear in the joints so plan to re-use them with a repaint and some new boots and fresh grease

Ford CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

(I love that last photo of the ball bearings )

The joints are now being painted and I have four nice new rubber boots and CV grease.

I've now got lots of bits to refurbish and repaint and then I can get back down the lock-up to finish removing the rear suspension and painting the chassis.
Lots to do......

....peter
Old 6th December 2012, 23:00

seanick is on a distinguished road

Good work Peter. Lovely finish on the chassis. Sprayed or brushed?
Also good to see progress despite the cold.
"By endurance we conquer" (Shackleton).
Old 6th December 2012, 23:19
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Good work Peter. Lovely finish on the chassis. Sprayed or brushed?
Also good to see progress despite the cold.
"By endurance we conquer" (Shackleton).
It's Hammerite Satin spray cans, 3 or 4 coats. You'll see the concrete floor now has a covering of black over-spray. I've got through about 11 cans so far

If I wrap up well and wear gloves (mechanics) I can do about 2 hours down at the lock up before nipping home for coffee, lunch, warm up, etc
Old 7th December 2012, 09:06
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I love that last photo of the ball bearings
Very artistic ;-)

Quote:
The joints are now being painted and I have four nice new rubber boots and CV grease.
CV grease ughh. I did a similar job on the 2CV joints a few months ago. I have never come accross such an 'orrible preparation as CV grease. Half way between oil and (normal) grease. The bl**dy stuff gets everywhere lol.

Should have some picture of my bike engine rebuild soon. There have been some - err - issues to sort out....

Robin
Old 7th December 2012, 18:48
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Indeed, nice pics excellent progress
Old 7th December 2012, 23:53

Quote:
It's Hammerite Satin spray cans, 3 or 4 coats. You'll see the concrete floor now has a covering of black over-spray. I've got through about 11 cans so far :e
Eek indeed! Have you considered buying a cheap compressor with a spray gun? Probably cost about the same!
If I wrap up well and wear gloves (mechanics) I can do about 2 hours down at the lock up before nipping home for coffee, lunch, warm up, etc
After being in our (unheated) workshop all day I too can only managea couple of hours on the car in the eve before I have had enough!
Old 8th December 2012, 14:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
After being in our (unheated) workshop all day I too can only managea couple of hours on the car in the eve before I have had enough!
Cor, working all day in unheated workshop, that must be tough!
Old 8th December 2012, 19:56

Its not to bad, just keeeeeep moving! Plus I've had 25 yrs of practice!
Have you considered buying a small compressor? With what you have spent on Hammerite you could have bought one, a cheap spray gun, 10 quids worth of paint and still been better off!
Oh yes, nice balls!
Old 9th December 2012, 16:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you considered buying a small compressor? With what you have spent on Hammerite you could have bought one, a cheap spray gun, 10 quids worth of paint and still been better off!
I don't have any mains electricity down at the lock-up.
I do have a small generator but a died a few years back and I've not spent any time fixing it as the noise used to drive me mad.
You're probably right but the spray cans are just so convenient.

...peter
Old 11th December 2012, 01:57

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Spotted this one on ebay for sale:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYALE-SAB...item35c26ff630

Last edited by froggyman; 11th December 2012 at 01:59..
Old 11th December 2012, 20:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
Spotted this one on ebay for sale:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYALE-SAB...item35c26ff630
Another fine example!!
The interior on this one does look very nice and the high level brake light looks like it's made for the car.
I've added the pictures to my scrap book of ideas
Old 12th December 2012, 18:33
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Peter

Have you seen this one with some jaguar style mods...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710887375...84.m1423.l2649

John
Old 12th December 2012, 21:00

Quote:
Another fine example!!
The interior on this one does look very nice and the high level brake light looks like it's made for the car.
I've added the pictures to my scrap book of ideas
That one is stunning! Perfect panel fit and finish, good detail, wheels perfect. In fact my only dislike is the modern style of seats, and that high level brake light. Mind you I could live with them!!

The other red one has a long way to go to catch up, especially as its slush drive.
Old 13th December 2012, 13:41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post
Peter

Have you seen this one with some jaguar style mods...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710887375...84.m1423.l2649

John
Hi John and Nick,

yes, I've seen this car advertised on ebay and the ROC website.
In fact, it is one of three cars I considered when buying my car. I'm not sure I like the 'jaguar' like modifications, but others no doubt will like the style. It wasn't painted when I was looking into it and it will still need IVA and registration as far as I know. As far as I can remember, the current owner is not the original builder and I don't know how long it has been 'in-build'. I think the risk of buying a 'nearly finished' kitcar is you don't always know the full history and what has been done or not done during refurbishment. Also, rubber seals in brake cylinders and shocks, etc can deteriorate without any use and dry up or go hard, which is why I'm treating mine as a complete build albeit with the 'donor' parts already in place.

...peter
Old 13th December 2012, 21:26
Enthusiast

OK, enough about other cars, here's my week 16 build update.....

I nipped down to the lock-up this morning and removed the final few pieces of the rear suspension. An hour later and I was left with this pile of bits...

Rear suspension by marlinpeter, on Flickr

They're loaded up in the back of my car at the moment waiting to be cleaned down and repainted.

This is a big milestone as, apart from a few measly brake lines, that completes the dismantling of the car; so everything now on is building!!

Which leaves the rest of the chassis free to be de-rusted and repainted.

Rear chassis by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I've cleaned up the tag on the diff final drive unit.....

Diff. tag by marlinpeter, on Flickr

This tells me that I have a non-LSD 7.5" diff built on 28th April 1992 with a 3.91 ratio. This is a little on the high side but might be OK with 15" wheels and some high profile tyres that suit this style of car.

.......peter

Last edited by peterux; 13th December 2012 at 21:29.. Reason: typo
Old 16th December 2012, 17:39

Alanlionheart is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter
I've been following this build .................... very well done and informative.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to building a kit car; It's been a "dream" of mine for some years and 2013 will be a decisive year for me in that regard.
I am very interested in the Royale Sabre but I am also looking at the idea of an MX5 transformation.
We'll have to see how things develop.
However, my question is in regard to what you use to "clean up" the chassis and other parts as I have never done this before?
Also, although I am OK about Hammerite I notice that they have a variety of options including a waxoyl product designed for protecting a chassis and general underbody. Is that what you have been using?