Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 11th June 2020, 13:48

redratbike is on a distinguished road

I saw these body halves pop up on Facebook good to see them put to use properly
Old 11th June 2020, 18:41

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

whoop whoop I am at the smile point when you step back to check what your doing. all been well l will have the bonnet made tomorrow bare bones ready
IMG_20200611_153911.jpg

IMG_20200611_153916.jpg
Old 11th June 2020, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Hmm, I got my 550 Spyder aeroscreen (together with a 550 dash moulding and an engine grille) from Martin & walker in Andover.

http://www.technic-motorsport.com/M&...e/contact.html

They're real classic Porsche enthusiuasts and, ultimately they did really help me by supplying the parts I needed but it wasn't exactly 'click and collect' as they're absolutely snowed under with orders for their 904GTS replica.

From memory that's at a base price of around £55k for a built up body/rolling chassis for you to add your own engine to, so I was a bit of a tiddler nibbling their toes rather than the catch of the day in financial terms.

I persevered with emails and the odd telephone call, though, and they were good enough to sort out the parts for me.

Anyway, their website still shows a complete 356 Speedster screen assembly for under £500 so it would be worth contacting them to see if they can help. The site hasn't been updated since 2012, mind, so that price could be a bit out of date.

http://technic-motorsport.com/M&W%20...s%20parts.html

They might also be able to help with a bonnet, but, as I said, they're really very busy.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

cheers and thanks for the info Mister Towed, I will give them a ring when I have it sat on 4 wheels .
Old 12th June 2020, 19:38

bonnet inner skin sorted, I have some 6mm high density foam that I am going to lay on the top and skin and glass over it to crate a sandwiched. I will have a look tomorrow its was already pretty stiff two lairs of 300g Woven Roving 2 of 450 csm and two of 300csm
IMG_20200612_113555.jpg

IMG_20200612_133003.jpg
Old 13th June 2020, 06:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Holy Fibreglassing Batman!

andysharrock – Great work, you really are making something from nothing.

A few questions about how you made the nose…

What is the blue material and how did you shape it?

Hard to tell from the photo, but is the blue set a few mm lower that the side pieces?
(Allowing you to join the new piece to the sides from underneath.)

Or was the blue material there to form a mould to make the nose from?

Good luck, Paul.

PS
Just seeing the rolls of fibreglass matting on your garage wall is making me itch.
Old 15th June 2020, 09:07

Hi paul L ,the blue material is good old lino flooring off cuts grate stuff for shaping and bridging gaps the glass will not stick to it so its easy to pull it off when ready. I made up a rough frame out of MDF then shaped the lino over it, set it behind the body. trimmed it back when it was hard and glassed it in front and back the body is so thin it was on a couple of mm to build up. it was all set to eye with a bent taped measure bugger when you dont have any stright lines to work off
download.jpg
Old 18th June 2020, 06:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Top Tip about using lino, as that has clearly worked well.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:07

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Top Tip about using lino, as that has clearly worked well.
Is it still possible to buy lino? I thought it disappeared after 1960
Old 18th June 2020, 21:07

some progress over the last few days ,I had some fire escapes replaced at work that were made out of 2" box steel seemed a shame to waste it. So I have framed out the inside of the main body and supported front and back at the top till I get it on a chassis .if nothing else its rock solid now but will still lift off when I need it to.
IMG_20200618_152847.jpg

outer skin of bonnet now on rear boot lid made

IMG_20200618_152859.jpg

loads more filling and sanding to do ,I found a vintage speedster parts supplier in the states just waiting on shipping costs then we should see a big jump forward
Old 18th June 2020, 21:18

Was it rusty tubs. The USA supplier ???
Old 18th June 2020, 21:29

https://vintagespeedsterparts.com/licenseplates.aspx
Old 18th June 2020, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
Thank you

Check out rusty tubs they have some good priced parts , bit of an odd website

http://www.rustytubs.com/speedster.html
Old 19th June 2020, 08:34

believe me if they sell anything to do with speedsters I have been on there web site Im from Yorkshire we dont like wasting money up north.I found rusty tubs expensive look at 356A Speedster windshield post $225 or $95 with vintage.speedster emblem $25 or $46 the VS emblem karmen Kollection was selling the £30each they are $11 that's a good mark up. door hinge best price I have found $24 or a light weight alloy one for $750 EACH wtf excuse me
Old 19th June 2020, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
believe me if they sell anything to do with speedsters I have been on there web site Im from Yorkshire we dont like wasting money up north.I found rusty tubs expensive look at 356A Speedster windshield post $225 or $95 with vintage.speedster emblem $25 or $46 the VS emblem karmen Kollection was selling the £30each they are $11 that's a good mark up. door hinge best price I have found $24 or a light weight alloy one for $750 EACH wtf excuse me
Wow apologies Yeah they are good prices
Old 21st June 2020, 19:51

deffo going to need some more fiberglass now body off for a spot of sunbathing
while put some extra fiberglass on all the joints and the areas that will be used to support the main body
IMG_20200620_160913.jpg

got the welder out to go over all the welds now the body is off under and over and it bloody packed in after an inch add another £150 for a new one bummer

IMG_20200620_160838.jpg

and body back on again decided to change the front around a bit more filling and sanding but taking shape

IMG_20200621_140808.jpg
Old 22nd June 2020, 07:35

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Fascinating and fast progress, I do like your frame.

Have you decided on a chassis yet? Might be an idea to have a rolling chassis to line everything up to before fixing the panels in place.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the change you're making, but the 356 and 356A have a bit of a beak in the centre of the front end rather than going straight across. You can see it in this pic -

The 356B and C models had a smooth curve, but the headlights are much higher up in the wings (I always thought that the Nissan Micra K12 front end would be a good starting point for a later model 356) -

Images sourced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82NNlFTbwbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Micra

Anyway, I'm sure it's going to look stunning whatever direction you take!
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:33

I have been looking for a chassis for a while managed to get a fully rebuilt spitfire one yesterday hoping to have if for next weekend. Not 5 minuets after putting the phone down did I get offered another fully rebuilt one typical but not complaining 400 quid all new ready to go. steel is here ready to chop and change things and I have a 1840cc MX5 sport lined up to pull all the parts from if things go to plan that should be here for the weekend too.The inner fame work has all the body bolted to it so it ridged I hoping to just notch out the frame I have made around the chassis and weld it on with some extra steel work off the out riggers and chassis rails. Well that's the plan, I do need the chassis here to make the boot inner frame and inner panels as its just an empty shell at the mo. headlights should be coming from vintage parts but still waiting on the shipping quote any problems I will get some early bug ones there always on ebay . this like my other cars is not a copy of anything I am going with the flow and changing things if I dont think it sits right it will get changed. do like the low slung wide boy look tho in black proper outlaw.

mister towed ware did you get the wheel adapters form to fit the bug wheels on your chassis
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It took two sets and I replaced the Triumph studs with Land Rover Freelander ones which are much sturdier and fit the Satur adaptors -

https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/Wheel-Hu...e-Satur-design

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-4x100-...MAAOSwnF9Y71de

I got the 5x205 adaptors directly from Limebug for £100 for four, but they don't seem to have them on their website any more. Would be worth calling them though.
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:04

Bellicose is on a distinguished road

Completely in awe of this. Makes me realise how slow and backwards my method of shaping foam is!
I have no experience of fibreglass so terrified of using it, maybe I should just go for it?

Looking forward to your next updates!
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
Completely in awe of this. Makes me realise how slow and backwards my method of shaping foam is!
I have no experience of fibreglass so terrified of using it, maybe I should just go for it?

Looking forward to your next updates!

Yes you should go for it from the bits I have picked up along the way, dont do it in full sun it will set while your working on it . two thin lairs of CSM is better than one thick one because it wets out easier and holds the shape better. if its very cold add more catalyst.if it goes wrong dont panic let it set cut it out or sand t back and start again.