Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 3rd July 2008, 20:32
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Question steering column spacer tubes

Back building after long absence.Making dash,and pondering what depth of spacer tubes buiders have uses to drop down the steering wheel and allow maximum dash space above it.What depth have builders cut out of marlin dash to accomodate this?P.S. any templates for dash around-i have 2 large and 5 small smiths tailor made clocks.
Available from eBay
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Back building after long absence.Making dash,and pondering what depth of spacer tubes buiders have uses to drop down the steering wheel and allow maximum dash space above it.What depth have builders cut out of marlin dash to accomodate this?P.S. any templates for dash around-i have 2 large and 5 small smiths tailor made clocks.
Hi Jeremy,
my tubes are about 75mm long and the steering column is mounted upside down (if you get me?)

I made up a hardboard template and kept adjusting it until I was happy with the shape and fit. Then I made stick on dials by print pictures and stuck them on with blue tack until I could see everything from the driving position. I transfered the postions to the carbon fibre/ali panel by drilling small pilot holes through both.

You might spot that the final design was diffrent to these pictures

I hope that helps/

peter
Old 4th July 2008, 11:27
Enthusiast

Default dash

Thanks Peter for the reply and pics-you have done a great job with yours!Yes ,I have mounted the column upside down-but current spacers only 50mm-did you use ali tubing and cut it, or something stronger? -also wondering if suspending the column this length requires any bracing bracket.Did I read somewher that builders nibbled bits out of the lip on the scuttle to allow more dash space for warning switches and clocks?
Old 4th July 2008, 12:14
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I did a drawing in paintshop. 1 pixel = 1mm. You can download it from my website. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/pictures3.htm

Old 4th July 2008, 15:38
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I didn't use spacers, I used an adapter plate like so:

The bit the steering bolts on to was a chunk off centre so this was the best way to get it right (while sad in the car with seat in place)

Dash looks like this:

http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=13&offset=24
Old 4th July 2008, 21:34
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Thanks Peter for the reply and pics-you have done a great job with yours!Yes ,I have mounted the column upside down-but current spacers only 50mm-did you use ali tubing and cut it, or something stronger? -also wondering if suspending the column this length requires any bracing bracket.Did I read somewher that builders nibbled bits out of the lip on the scuttle to allow more dash space for warning switches and clocks?
Thanks, Jeremy.

Mine seems strong enough and the SVA tester gave it a good 'yank' and he was satisfied. I used steel tubing(10mm, I think) which you can get in any large B&Q diy store. No extra brackets but I did use washers either side of the BMW column bracket which is a bit thin. I didn't need to 'notch' my scuttle but I reckon you can take fairly big chunks out of it if you need to get the clocks in. The scuttle is pretty strong.
You'll see Patrick and Robin have taken other approaches so best to make it fit to suit your own preferences.

good luck,

peter
Old 5th July 2008, 13:51
Enthusiast

Thumbs up dash

Thanks for the sound advice.