Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th December 2018, 19:29

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
Make the table frame larger than the base frame and fit legs???

Go with what you know.
Correct about the legs and width. The lift width is 42m the top rails are 700mm as are the foot rails. The stabiliser struts will effectively be the legs, and at made of angle iron hinged at the top and lockable along the foot rails. One on each corner. There should be no twist torsion applied to the lift itself, it only goes up and down. The only risk is at raising and lowering. That can be mitigated by fixing a cross strut to the stabiliser legs front and back.
Old 7th December 2018, 16:42

Just a quick update, the lift is rated 135kg and a scooter weighs 75kg. I should not rely on my faltering memory for hard facts. A regular motorcycle lift is rated around 350kg at least.
Old 7th December 2018, 16:57

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Just a quick update, the lift is rated 135kg and a scooter weighs 75kg. I should not rely on my faltering memory for hard facts. A regular motorcycle lift is rated around 350kg at least.
That seems light. My old SX200 with fuel and without side panels tipped 120kg on a weigh bridge.
Old 7th December 2018, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
That seems light. My old SX200 with fuel and without side panels tipped 120kg on a weigh bridge.
I found some other sites that say 104kg dry weight. The SX200s had bigger blocks, but being aluminium, that wouldn't account for the difference. Was your Party 7 still on the floor?
Old 7th December 2018, 17:06

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Just looked at Cambridge Lambretta Workshop to make sure I wasn't going mad. This gives SX150 at 120kg and the 200 at 123kg. The Li was 105kg. Beauty must be heavy.
Old 7th December 2018, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Just looked at Cambridge Lambretta Workshop to make sure I wasn't going mad. This gives SX150 at 120kg and the 200 at 123kg. The Li was 105kg. Beauty must be heavy.
Wow, I thought the SXs were just different panels and headsets with the option for the 200cc motor. Obviously more to it than that. I'll bear that in mind if I ever get an SX for restoration though, and not lean on the worktop!
Old 26th December 2018, 19:06

Munky is on a distinguished road

New Dowsett Comet

https://youtu.be/UEmJBdRG37s

Reminds me of the Z3gato, but the Z3gatos looks are way better balanced!
Old 26th December 2018, 19:14

Yep, the car looks a muscled up version of several Zagato designs. You can see the step up from the Ferrari. The front reminds me a lot of the MX5 version that Zagmad scrapped in order to pursue the slab sided Lancia saloon. Where did that get to I wonder?
Old 26th December 2018, 19:50

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Looks great with great detail to the finish. Could it be a TVR rival?
Lose the roof and it would be perfect.
Old 27th December 2018, 09:42

smash is on a distinguished road

Looks like someone glued a Zagato and 250 California together then stuck it on the helium pump at their local Hallmark card shop... #grinch

EDIT - went back and watched again and actually retract crunch statement. It certainly has presence. Interesting to note treatment of the Dunlop style wheels with black gloss centres and polished rims with spinners - really effective.

Last edited by smash; 13th February 2019 at 18:56..
Old 13th January 2019, 18:44

Any updates? It must be nearly there.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:04

Munky is on a distinguished road

Just saw xxxx ML Zagato in the classic car special on Astons.
Very beautiful car!
Old 26th February 2019, 07:54

Just to confirm that this project has not stalled or stopped. After getting the lines on one side agreed with Chris late last year, the process of tweaking the back and front, then completing the other side has taken a while, and Chris lost some time out with a bad back. Chris should be in the "fill and sand back" any day now, and has some ideas about the window surrounds that he wants to try out. I promise that I will get some photos up shortly (a few weeks). meantime, now that the weather has started to warm a little, I may be tempted to swap the dashboard out. The only trouble is that I am wary of painting the new one in this colder weather. Is it a big risk?
Old 26th February 2019, 08:46

Hammerite do a smooth satin black, easy to apply and gives a great finish, I am intending to give it a go on my dash. You can paint it on the kitchen table, but top tip, wait until the wife is out!
Old 26th February 2019, 12:59

molleur is on a distinguished road

A black wrinkle finish was used on the originals. Looks better me thinks.
Old 26th February 2019, 16:58

The wrinkle finish can be a bugger to get right, if it isn't perfect it looks crap. Having had a couple of goes with the wrinkle paint I am sticking to the Hammerite satin.
Old 26th February 2019, 17:41

molleur is on a distinguished road

I warm the spray can of wrinkle in a pan of hot water, get the oven going (with wife gone). Spray from at least a foot away and follow remainder of directions. A warm can is a good can!
Old 1st March 2019, 19:26

I have already got some plastic primer, satin black and the wrinkle finish to go on top. If anyone can foresee a problem, shout out now please! After the warm weather this week, I am tempted to get going before Easter if it repeats. I will post pics regardless of my assessment of success.

ps I shortened the legs on a trundle bed frame a couple of weeks ago. Cut out sections, cut a slice out of the extracted tube and then squashed and used it as a strengthener in the residual bits, then welded together again. I used a rattle can (old English White) to touch up the blackened mess. I thought i had contained it pretty well, using newspaper and masking tape. Sadly, the patio table looks like it has leprosy, as well as the plague from where I converted a double bed wooden frame to a single and had to re-drill dowell holes. I clamped the pieces to ovehang the edge of the table where I was drilling..... I thought.

Last edited by Barber; 1st March 2019 at 19:32..
Old 13th March 2019, 08:17

Default Battery drain

I know you were having problems with battery drain, I was suffering the same problem. My car gets used depending on its position on the drive. It can be used every day and then gets blocked in for a few weeks. Sometime the car will start fine if left for a few weeks other times it can have a flat battery after just a day or two. Finally tracked down the problem, the passenger door catch on the B post was slightly loose, most of the time it was fine but occasionally it was loose enough to move and the switch for the interior light is on the catch so it was occasionally left on causing the drain. Worth checking if you have a drain problem or removing the bulb and see if it stops the problem.
Old 13th March 2019, 08:24

I checked drain by plugging into each fuse location. First it indicated door lock, and I removed them refitted driver side actuator. After the garage super charged battery, it has been good for up to 2 weeks at a time. However, it has not been used whilst I wait for it to go in for seized brake calliper, and it was flat after 10 days. Passenger door is seldom used, but I'll che k put connections on both soon. Thanks for the tip.