Started fitting the gearbox cover this morning and ran into an issue. I'm using the spitfire gearbox cover by Honeyborne Mouldings and although the cover itself is of good quality either I have ordered the wrong part or they have supplied the wrong part or something else has gone awry possibly with the frame I built?
As you can see from the picture below the gear leaver is exiting way too far forward and the size of hole I have had to cut to get the tunnel to go in is massive. Unfortunately I think I forgot to take a picture of the cover in situ which would make it much clearer but once I have the next little project finished I will post a picture which should make the issue clearer.
Anyway end result is that I have to make a cover to go on the cover! rats!
First picture shows the size of hole I'm dealing with.
Rough fitted some foam to get the rough shape I want.
Covered the edges with clear packing tape.
Slathered the lot in fine easy sand filler to hold it in place and give a starting point for sanding.
Whilst I was waiting for the first of the filler to go off I fitted the seat belt anchors and made some small cover plates to make them weather tight as the hole required in the interior to get them in was bigger than I wanted.
Just cut some Ali discs using a hole cutter them drilled 3 holes in a line then filed them into a slot.
Quick coat of gloss black paint then glued them over the anchors using some PU adhesive.
Picture of one of the rear anchors before the cover is fitted:
And with the cover fitted, used enough PU that the anchor is totally sealed.
The outer anchors required that the bottom of the cover was trimmed a bit but fitted ok after that:
Back in a bit with more progress on the gearbox cover