Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 28th May 2015, 12:57

dkemp-art is on a distinguished road
Default unusual project 1

Hi Everyone,
Im a new member with NO experience in this field, but I have a project I would like to pursue and would welcome any advice.
Im an artist and sculptor who specializes in carving intricate masters for jewellery work.
I would like to use a kit car body and chasis to create a mobile jewellery display for selling my products at open air markets here in France.
I would probably not need all the mechanics of engine, breaks etc but tow it as a trailer, the mobile shell being the display case for my work.
I think a three wheeler would be good, not too big, light weight and easily pushable into place, but is it feasible?
Then what type of vehicle? I want something eye catching, but not too distracting.
I was looking at the messerschmitt bubble cars for instance or the Reliant Regal, but dont know if these exist in kit form?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David
Available from eBay
Old 29th May 2015, 07:44

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

What about a jago Jeep?
Very cheap and easy to make one look like a 1940's Willy's Jeep they are also very light, have a good strong chassis and have plenty of room inside. I have also seen a few made into trailers. Have a look on eBay. Ed.
Old 29th May 2015, 11:39

Hi Big Scary Monster,
Thanks for the suggestion, but its not what I had in mind.
Its not because I want anything large or overtly solid, for carrying and displaying jewellery I want something more elegant, attractive or eye catching.
It also needs to be enclosed with either glass or hard top roof for security reasons.
I thought a three wheeler would be easier to manoeuvre and would have more character.
Is it possible to buy just the body, wheels and chassis, say of a messerschmitt kr200 and if so, where?
Old 29th May 2015, 17:48

bladerunner is on a distinguished road

why don't you use the body from a Peel trident. There are a few companies who make replicas and might sell you just the body and the transparent bubble dome.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:18

Thanks for the reply bladerunner. By the way, I loved your film.
To be honest I had never heard of a Peel Trident before. Whilst I did find it charming and unusual, my main concern is that it would be too small.

I really appreciate yours and scary monsters suggestions though.
Any others?
Cheers,
David
Old 30th May 2015, 22:33

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quite a lot of vendors at car boot sales and shows use cheap Chinese three wheel vans, you could install fixed side and rear windows to display your wares, with storage under. They seem to trailer the vans behind their cars rather than driving them to the shows. With an attractive mannequin in the drivers seat it would probably attract a lot of interest...
Old 31st May 2015, 14:28

Hi 8 Valve Ed,
Thanks for the input. Trouble is they arent really classy looking. They are probably practical and whats most interesting is that other people have had a similar thought to me.
I could get a cheap enough Reliant Robin carcass and chassis, but its not that much of an eye opener. Could fit side windows and even a transparent roof into a reliant van too, but the ideal thing would be to find a replica of a classic three wheel van/car.
Thanks again for your suggestion,
David.
Old 31st May 2015, 15:05

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Would be very classy looking with a Rolls Royce radiator and some skilful body styling but I take your point.

I think the Reliant van has been done to death, Trotter and Co... BUT, there is a larger Reliant three wheeler which was available as a chassis cab, used for milk floats etc. There is one in my street and is being taken to shows for the first time this year.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 31st May 2015 at 15:09..
Old 1st June 2015, 14:32

Have you got an old Rolls Royce lying around.....?
I do take your point about the Reliant Regal, but maybe here in France with all the older ex-pats, maybe it would be more nostalgic, besides ive never seen one here.
Ive looked at the Ant and it really does look like an ant! but its not for me.

Keep the ideas coming (if you want) I look forward to these suggestions.
All the best
David.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:34

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

The Citroen H vans are being used in England for exactly what you require, does it have to be lightweight and towed on a trailer, or can you legally tow a vehicle in France? The reason I ask is you rarely see cars on a frames behind motorhomes in France they always seem to be on trailers,
There was a fibreglass bodyshell kit car of a mini available in the early 90's called a mini minus. Ed
Old 4th June 2015, 12:57

Hi BSM,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I actually like very much the shape and idea of the Citroen.
Problem is that I will be very limited to access to most of these markets, so size is a big issue.
It was for that that I was searching for a smallish three wheeler.
I also thought of it as a trailer because without the engine and heavy parts (and also being potentially made of fiberglass) it would be light enough to manoeuver by hand and tow behind a car.
A slight problem with the Citroen van is that it looks a bit like a local butchers, ice cream or sandwich van, not a jewellers stand.
Unfortunately perception is very important.
Many thanks for the suggestions though.
David.
Old 4th June 2015, 21:18

garyh is on a distinguished road

what about a hearse? Normally a posh vehicle with plenty of room in the back...
Old 5th June 2015, 13:42

thanks for the suggestion garyh.
In principal it would be fairly practical, if a little morbid.
I need to keep the weight down though, because it needs to be easily manoeuverd into tight spaces at markets, hence the three wheeler, fibre glass, engine free, trailer converted kit car replica idea.

Cheers,
David
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:51

w3526602 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Something to ask about ...

The vehicle and registration and taxation laws in UK refer to "a vehicle or anything that was once a vehicle", or words of that effect. I sometimes wonder if that could include trailers made from car/van chassis/bodies. ??? I'm not aware of anybody having been done ... yet.

I believe trailer laws in France differ from UK. A British car can pull a French caravan, after changing the number plate, as British insurance covers the trailer. But a French car cannot pull a British caravan, because in France, caravans require their own insurance (and registration). I suspect that small trailers (under 500kg? 750kg) are exempt from separate insurance?

I have seen a Reliant Robin set up as a trailer. The wheels were in the wheel arches, but I think the body may have been mounted on a small boat trailer, so it wouldn't not have been regarded as "once a car". I looked good, was parked in Pontardawe, South Wales. A complete Reliant Robin weighs under 8cwt (I'll let you do the maths, 8 times 112 divide by 2.2 = kgs)

Trailer carrying dingy, dressed up like a pirate ship?