Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th July 2013, 08:39

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmiglia View Post
Come on my towed its not the same without you on the forum
Going to attempt to put it back on the road today - clock's ticking though as I'm at work at 5pm. I've been waiting for a pair of blue poly bushes for my 7/8" anti roll bar, which are on back order from Canley's, but I'll just stick the original arb back in for the time being.

I was able to change the steering rack for a faster geared, reconditioned Spitfire one while the engine was out though (£35 from Canley's) as I got an mot advisory that there was some play in the original rack. The rack was much easier to get at with the motor out but access to the arb is straightforward with the engine in anyway.

Right, time to hit the man cave...
Old 25th July 2013, 18:46

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Get it done before the rains back and enjoy. Did you ever finish your injection idea, and if so did it make any odds to the performance.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmiglia View Post
Did you ever finish your injection idea, and if so did it make any odds to the performance.
Yes Mike, it's fully functional.

The system consists of: a nos 4 litre 'screen wash bottle meant for an mod truck (£10);

fitted with a low level float switch and warning lamp(£6);

the pump feeds a 70psi fish pond pump (£35) with a 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water (80p/litre) through high pressure nylon tube (£30);

the pump is connected to a flow control solenoid (£12);

triggered by a micro switch attached to the throttle linkage (£1.99);

the solenoid feeds the mix to a pin hole fogger nozzle (£15);

mounted in the top of my home made aluminium air box (£15 including the K&N filter);

a tee piece (£1.99) mounted between the solenoid and nozzle leads to a second flow control solenoid (£12), which is triggered by the same micro switch to open as the first one closes when you lift off the throttle. This depressurises the nozzle line, stopping the spray from continuing on the overrun (which it does otherwise and would cause problems) and feeding the unused mixture back to the tank so it isn't wasted. Phew!

I can't give you any objective figures about whether it makes a difference to the power and torque yet, as the clutch started slipping with the car on the dyno.

The main benefit, though, is supposed to be raising the octane rating of the fuel so you can run higher compression and/or a more aggressive advance curve without suffering detonation (pinking), which can quickly destroy your engine. That's why it was developed for the Supermarine Spitfires operating on the Russian front - their fuel supply was a pretty ropy mixture for obvious reasons of supply chain disruption.

The Vitesse manual says that you should use 100 octane fuel with the advance set at 13 degrees btdc, but the ignition should be retarded to no more than 7 degrees btdc on anything less than 100 octane (unleaded is 95, super is 97).

When I first started mine with the injection system working I immediately noticed that it had smoothed out the idle and eliminated any smoke from the exhaust. On the road it felt brisk but wouldn't really rev.

I checked the timing and found it was set at about 2 degrees btdc, so the flame front wasn't really developing until the piston was well on it's way back down the bore. I set it to 13 degrees and OMG! it pulled like a train and I'm going to have to fit a rev limiter as the engine tends to take over and charge up the rev scale as if the very Divil himself is in the driving seat (please excuse my rubbish Irish accent on the Satan analogy).

I got no detonation problems and it just felt so right. Once on the dyno, the engineer chappy commented on how quickly it picked up revs for a Triumph six pot, and asked me if there was any reason why I'd set the advance to 16 degrees btdc when the manual recommended seven?

So, I'd set the ignition timing way in advance of what the engine should comfortably run on 95 octane unleaded and didn't suffer any problems at all. By rights, I should be picking pieces of piston out of the sump and paying Rimmers for a rebuild kit.

I'll have the car back on the dyno next week and I should be able to give some power, torque, acceleration and top speed figures then. It looks promising - when the clutch started slipping it was going well over 100mph with plenty more left

Sorry if that's all a bit detailed but it might just inspire others to have a go themselves...

Oh, and it looks pretty cool too -

Last edited by Mister Towed; 26th July 2013 at 09:23..
Old 27th July 2013, 12:06

Back on the road again today, Hooray!

The steering feels much tighter and a bit more direct with the Spitfire rack and I've taken a fair bit of the toe in out of the back wheels. That's transformed the handling, it's much more confidence inspiring now and feels very adjustable on the throttle. Roundabouts are no longer a cause of anxiety!

On the negative side, I broke a couple of things while changing the clutch. The plastic cap on the end of the brake servo didn't take too kindly to being bashed with 400lbs of straight six so the servo's completely knackered - locking the brakes on when you start the engine. I've removed it and gone back to unassisted brakes, but I prefer the feel of the servo'd setup, so I'll have to replace it soon.

The connector attaching the oil pressure hose to the adaptor also fell to bits when I refitted it, so my pressure gauge is off line until I can find a replacement. I hunted high and low in my spares storage area (garage floor) for the old oil pressure switch to replace the adaptor with but I couldn't find it anywhere. Then it dawned on me that it was fitted to the adaptor.

I can't wait to get it back on the dyno now, it feels great to drive but I don't want to go too far in it until the engine's set up properly.

Plus I believe it's going to hose down later today
Old 27th July 2013, 14:21

And then there were three...

Always a pleasure to see you Phil, and thanks for the tea and spares.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 27th July 2013 at 14:24..
Old 27th July 2013, 14:37

phil9 is on a distinguished road

any time dave ....now the open roads for you great job
Old 27th July 2013, 15:23

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

a nice looking trio there guys, well done.
Old 27th July 2013, 16:43

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Nice pic for a calender
Old 5th August 2013, 06:35

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mister Towed - I bet there were times when you never thought your car would be lining up with Phil and Barry.

But you have stuck with it and the results speak for themselves.

I look forward to hearing how you get on driving it and the reaction it gets from the public.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 5th August 2013, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mister Towed - I bet there were times when you never thought your car would be lining up with Phil and Barry.

But you have stuck with it and the results speak for themselves.

I look forward to hearing how you get on driving it and the reaction it gets from the public.

Cheers, Paul.
Hi Paul, nice to hear from you again.

I still haven't quite finished my car yet - the fettling started rather sooner than expected with the failed clutch and I still need to sort out a tonneau cover and roundels before Goodwood Revival.

I'm also in the process of stripping down my engine and rebuilding it with a replacement block after I found a crack in it last week (thanks again Phil). Shouldn't take me too long but I'm waiting on a full gasket set from Rimmers. They've got a sale on at the mo' as when I paid for my basket the price unexpectedly dropped by about 30%, which was nice.

As for the reaction the car gets, when it's working everyone just loves it, young and old alike. I've had an offer of a swap for a new car (no thanks) and loads of thumbs up. Most recently a couple of trendy young dudes who got out of a very nice VW splitscreen bus in Tesco's car park said 'Man, your car's sick!' which I took to be a compliment, or they could've been commenting on the oil leaking from the crack in the block I suppose.

Anyway, hoping to be back on the road in a week so I'll post some more pictures then. The joys of Sammio ownership, eh?
Old 9th August 2013, 20:21

Back on the road (again) today

Managed to effect a temporary repair on my original motor - Phil J mentioned something called 'JB Weld' - a sort of fix anything glue that's rated to about 2000 psi that he'd used to mend a cracked thermostat housing - so I thought 'what the hell' and gave it a go.

Whad'ya know, I was able to plug up the cracked oil pressure switch hole with it and move the oil pressure switch to another tapped hole in the block. I've taken the car out and done about sixty miles in it today with a weather eye on the 'oil' light, but even though I wasn't exactly hanging about not a drip got past the repair.

The plan now is to get by with this engine (with fingers crossed) for the time being, and rebuild the spare one I bought from Phil over winter, but maybe with a slightly hotter cam and a lightened flywheel.

I also popped into Brockwells to get a quote for a tonneau cover, and then stopped off at JD Signs in Southery to order some roundels. Both jobs are pencilled in for just over a week's time.

My car's running really well now and drawing lots of attention and positive comments from other drivers in traffic. I also filled up and checked the fuel consumption. Considering the 155 miles I've covered since I last brimmed the tank have included dyno runs at over 100mph and a period spent crawling along with the engine screaming and the clutch slipping, I don't think 35mpg is too bad

Next job is to make a camera mount and get some on the move video shot.

More soon, hopefully...
Old 10th August 2013, 00:24

great job towed jb is good stuff..shelly said she see you out on the road ... alway's some one see a car like that.....that's just great new's bud just have some fun ..and if u fancy a run out ..i an just a text away ...great to see u sunday ... if u fancy a look at the spritfire i will take u around .. he's got a pit's stunt plane too ..he went up in it.. think
u had gone by then ...it fly's great ..he said if you fancy a go in the tank he take u around the track ..be fun mate..... 90 buck s of fuel for that little run in spirtfire ..but boy it looked the tits did it not ...

Last edited by phil9; 10th August 2013 at 00:44..
Old 10th August 2013, 07:49

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I'm really glad to see you've got to the point where you're enjoying owning/driving the car! There will always be a list of to/do's as I found out, that is just part of the fun

I'll have to male sure I come and say hello if you're at any of the shows as I'm dying to have a proper nosey and get all emo that I sold mine
Old 10th August 2013, 07:50

It was a good day out Phil. Shame it's the last time they're going to have their open day

For those that might wonder what we're talking about, last Sunday was the Denver (Norfolk) historic military vehicle show. It's run by some friends of Phil's who're avid collectors of all things military - tanks; field guns; and even a 4/5ths scale Supermarine Spitfire powered by a Jag XJ12 engine. When I saw it approach in the air it had me fooled, it looks, sounds and flies just like the real thing. The cockpit's tiny though, it must be very claustrophobic for the pilot -

I'ts been run every three years but the organisers have announced that they're just getting too old to run it in 2016, which is a shame.

It's my lad's birthday today so I'm taking him to a tank driving experience in Thetford Forest, then I'm at work tomorrow, foot beat at the Downham Water Festival. I'd love to see you if you happen by in you Spyder, I'll be the one dressed all in black Kevlar and sweating my cobbs off...
Old 17th August 2013, 18:21

Just got back from a two hour drive in my Spyder, covering about ninety miles up to the coast at Hunstanton and back with a few detours in between.

It was blowing a gale and I got caught in a shower - I now fully understand the meaning of the term 'weather beaten', rain in the face really stings at 60mph - but the car performed faultlessly.

Plan for tomorrow is to fabricate some sort of camera mount and perhaps get some video sorted...
Old 17th August 2013, 19:37

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I ended up leaving a pair of flying goggles and a cap behind the passenger seat as my "wet weather gear" then you have to hunker down behind the wind deflector and jobs-a-good-un . I ended up clearing this the hard way after getting caught in a hail storm on the way back from the bath and west!
Old 18th August 2013, 06:15

classic show at hunstanton to day towed ....
Old 18th August 2013, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil9 View Post
classic show at hunstanton to day towed ....
What time Phil?

I take it you and Barry are going, fancy a three car convoy?
Old 18th August 2013, 12:19

Smile

great too see you car looked fab ...sorry had to dash off ..
Old 18th August 2013, 17:50

Always good to see you too Phil.

Show was really good, weather played its part of course, lovely and sunny all day.

My car drew quite a crowd despite being surrounded by some pretty impressive classics, spot the immaculate 190 SL in the background -

I was also asked to lead the classics out for a lap of the arena, a bit embarrassing given that it's a home built special and not the real thing, but fun nonetheless.

It was quite interesting to loiter nearby and listen to people talking about my Spyder. Just about everyone loved it. Just about everyone thought it was a restored original, and one old chap even explained at great length that his father had owned one in the late fifties, which made me smile.

Someone also commented that you could tell it was an original, unrestored fifties car because you can't fake the patina on the paint that only decades of use in the sun can create! I didn't have the heart to tell him I sprayed it in May this year.

Talking of patina, my vote for the most interesting vehicle of the day was this '59 Dodge -

The owner says it took 54 years to get the paint right. Nice.