Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th July 2015, 11:37

morris is on a distinguished road
Default Alternative alternators

I've been looking at alternatives to the current arrangement of my alternator being down on the off side of the engine next to the exhaust. You can buy small 60A alternators that should fit in the correct place on the M50 engine and then allow me to have a proper belt tensioner rather than my current best guess fixed tension.

http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/alt.html

There's a helpful formula at the link above that tells you what output you need. I've been round the car working out the power draw on various components but the ones I'm not sure on are

Horns
Fan
fuel pumps
Engine ignition, injection and ECU.

I know what fuses I have fitted but these will be typically much higher than the normal power draw.

Does anyone have any ideas, especially the engine?
Available from eBay
Old 19th July 2015, 19:06
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Horns you can ignore as hopefully they are not on often.
Fans vary but 10amps is agood allowance. But again it should be on infrequently so you can probably ignore.
Fuel pumps. 3amps or less for the lp. 5ish for the Hp.
Engine that is ecu injectors and coil -bit of a guess but arround 7amps.

A 60 amp alternator should be more than adequate. The big consumers are the headlights specially if you have additional driving lights and use the bmw system of both main and dipped on together.

Cheers Robin
Old 20th July 2015, 11:11

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Also worth checking the heater motor (on full) and the wiper motor as they are often on together and continuously. Peter.
Old 20th July 2015, 21:54

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Ian,

My memory is a bit vague here but I checked the current drain in all ignition switch positions before I connected the battery for the first time.

I seem to remember 9.4amps in the 'ignition on' position which compare favourably with Robin's 7amps. So if you assume 10 amps I don't think you'll be far off.

Nigel
Old 20th July 2015, 21:59

morris is on a distinguished road

yeah, my gut instinct was that 60A should be more than enough for the sportster. I have quad main beams with the headlamps and spots though I was going to ditch the spots. I only bought them as I didn't realise that my headlamps did side, dipped and main beams. I'm not sure if my dipped and mains stay on at the same time or not. The engine definitely dips revs slightly when you flash which is a bit odd.

Pete, no problem with wipers and heater, I have none of those luxury items

In fact judging by the temperature of my feet and knees during the IVA test, staying warm won't be an issue, more heat shielding is needed if anything.