Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th October 2007, 15:19
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default A panel fitting

Hello all

When you fitted the A panel how did you secure the top where it fits under the scuttle? I was thinking about a pop rivet as there isn't enough room for a screw of any kind. Problem is that this will then have to be drilled out when taking the panels off for painting.

Also - did I remember that someone had folded round the trailing edge. It could do with something to make it a little stronger for sure...

Cheers

Robin
Available from eBay
Old 27th October 2007, 19:46
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Robin,
the 'A' panel has no fixing at the top. It is just clamped between the scuttle and the chassis.
The rear 6mm edge of the trailing edge should be fold back about 30 degrees. Simon advised me to clamp the 'A' panel between two staright edges and then tap the edge back. Not easy. It stiffens up the panel and keeps it flat.

If you look closely at the build manual photo's you can see it, but I hadn't noticed until Simon pointed it out when I collected my body parts.
Incidently, when fitting the 'A' panels, you align the trailing edge with the door and then trim the front edge to be in line with scuttle. So make sure the doors are in their final position before any trimming.
br
Peter
Old 28th October 2007, 10:30
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Mine are also just clamped at the top, but then do move quite easily, after paint I will look to fix these a lot better.

I am planning on creating new ones without the louvre holes that have a bigger edge at the top (so should actually hold with clamping!)
Old 28th October 2007, 14:16
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Robin,
the 'A' panel has no fixing at the top. It is just clamped between the scuttle and the chassis.
The rear 6mm edge of the trailing edge should be fold back about 30 degrees. Simon advised me to clamp the 'A' panel between two staright edges and then tap the edge back. Not easy. It stiffens up the panel and keeps it flat.

If you look closely at the build manual photo's you can see it, but I hadn't noticed until Simon pointed it out when I collected my body parts.
Incidently, when fitting the 'A' panels, you align the trailing edge with the door and then trim the front edge to be in line with scuttle. So make sure the doors are in their final position before any trimming.
br
Peter
Thanks Peter.