Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th April 2012, 18:39

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

I remember someone having a tonneau made for the back of a Chevrolet "Li'l Red Truck" which was about six foot by eight foot. There were two fibre glass bars, a bit like light weight tent poles, across the back, which were just a bit longer than the width of the truck, so they bulged up about three inches in the middle, holding the middle of the tonneau up (does that make sense?)

Hope this helps.

Len.
Old 28th April 2012, 09:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary, just tried to PM you on this one but your inbox is full so it wouldn't send...

I don't want to embarrass you so I'll try typing in 'Pig Latin', that way only you will understand the content and nobody else will twig what's going on.

unlessay oryay immertray's eerlynay inishedfay imay onneautay anday it'say aboutay ootay ogay inay the oastpay I'day ikelay ootay askay orfay an efundray onay ethay onneautay uvercay Iay ordereday ackbay in ecemberDay. Iay elievebay Iay aidpay 135 oundspay anday a chequepay illway ebay inefay.

Phew, that was harder than I thought it'd be.

No hard feelings on this one - I know how hard you work so sometimes the little details are going to get by you.

Due to the MGB seats not fitting I've decided to go with blood red leather anyway and although I'd have made do with a black tonneau it'd definitely look better with one matching the rest of the trim. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 28th April 2012, 14:42

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Towed ....inbox cleared now ..sorry
not been on much this week.

Trimmers are twats - official !

I cannot get anyone local to do anything quickly....the guy who has let me down has taken 17 months to do a buddys T4 Van !!

There is one reliable one ....hes bloody expensive thouigh..

pm me your details and we can draw a line ....

so sorry again
Old 28th April 2012, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Towed ....inbox cleared now ..sorry
not been on much this week.

Trimmers are twats - official !

I cannot get anyone local to do anything quickly....the guy who has let me down has taken 17 months to do a buddys T4 Van !!

There is one reliable one ....hes bloody expensive thouigh..

pm me your details and we can draw a line ....

so sorry again
Like I said Gary, no hard feelings. Will pm my address for the efundray...
Old 28th April 2012, 23:42

AshJ is on a distinguished road

my wife is a leathercrafter, ie she makes bridle's and repairs saddles, etc. She has a full workshop at home including an industrial Singer sewing machine. Do you have a pattern? I'm sure she could make them. Not sure what the price would be and we would need to source a material supplier unless you wanted them full leather but willing to discuss. I've already got her lined up to make bonnet straps for mine :-)
Old 29th April 2012, 05:56

garyh is on a distinguished road

Hi Ash, I look forward to seeing bonnet straps, are they going to be a bit wider like the E type Jag ones?
Old 29th April 2012, 08:26

Can you make a tonneau out of leather? I'd assumed it'd be a little too stretchy. I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression they need to be made out of hood material - duck/canvass/ heavy duty vinyl etc, so you don't come back to your car after a downpour and find the tonneau sagging inside the cockpit like a swollen ball bag.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:59

seanick is on a distinguished road
Default Tonneaus and upholstery

Cover Care at Emsworth made my tonneau for my Arrow.They also make all my boat/sail covers and upholstery for my customers, and do an great job at a very competitive price.

I spoke to them about Sammie tonneaus and they said in. Acrylic canvas they could do one for £145 inc as a kit with popper's to be fitted by the builder. If you have a different requirement they offer a same day service where you bring the car in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon fitted and finished. Fritter away the day in the cafes and pubs of Emsworth! This will cost about £185. Inc.
It would be edged, with a central zip and hump for the wheel.

The most local spider Paul D's, is a mile away from them. If they could patten up from that one multiple orders may gain a bit more of a discount on the kit price.

Acrylic canvas is the stuff they make sail covers and sprayhoods from. Nicer to handle than vinyl it comes on loads of colours and lasts for years-my Morris hood is 16 years old and I have only just reproofed it.
No financial connection, but Dave the proprietor( who races a Mk1 golf) better buy me a beer for this post!!!
www.covercare.co.uk

Last edited by seanick; 29th April 2012 at 13:11..
Old 29th April 2012, 14:06

COULD BE A PLAN.....Thanks Nick.

Ash ....If your wife can produce the Jag style straps at a decent price ...she would certainly sell them , they are a better , but very pricey , option for us at the moment....

SIMILAR TO THIS STYLE BUT 2 SEPERATE STRAPS LIKE WE NORMALLY USE ( SEE WEBSITE ) .....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XK1...#ht_500wt_1054

Last edited by lancelot link; 29th April 2012 at 14:13..
Old 29th April 2012, 20:34

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default Set up

Hi All, seen Ash's wife's workshop, and the quality of the leather and her work. If she can get the pricing right, she's your erm? Woman.

Rocker
Old 17th May 2012, 21:19

Picked up my Burlington Arrow from Cover Care this eve. Here, I hope,m are some pics. The cover is dusty cos I have been sanding a boat all afternoon, and was covered.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/IMG_0777.jpg

And driven home like this....

Its black (obviously) acrylic. minimal stainless steel studs. Decided against the center zip, as its more waterproof as is, and cheaper!

And yes, I find the wonky mudguards annoying too. They are on the list!
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:38

The Arrow looks great, wonky mudguards 'n' all. Can you MOT it without front mudguards fitted?
Old 18th May 2012, 06:57

It's in daily use like this, but was moted with them on. I hear from hotrodders that you can drive without them in dry weather, but they must be in the boot and fittable if needed. The one i saw used lay flat rubber. Unfortunately i have no boot! My mot man says I could have a 'dry weather' mot though. It does bring a new meaning to 'gritted teeth' !
Old 18th May 2012, 07:37

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
It does bring a new meaning to 'gritted teeth' !
Bet it does the paintwork a lot of good too!!!!
Old 19th May 2012, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
It's in daily use like this, but was moted with them on. I hear from hotrodders that you can drive without them in dry weather, but they must be in the boot and fittable if needed. The one i saw used lay flat rubber. Unfortunately i have no boot! My mot man says I could have a 'dry weather' mot though. It does bring a new meaning to 'gritted teeth' !
Not strictly true ....but its a bit of an ambiguous regulation ....its true that the wording of the ruling 'suggests' wet weather use only but only because it refers to wet weather as the reason for fitting them....Hot Rodders , in my experience , embrace that 'loophole' in the hope it will silence the enquiring Police Officer......The reality is that if it goes to court , it probably won't stand up ...I know a few guys who have found this out...

The positive side of this though is , I have driven fenderless cars for over 25 years and driven them a lot , used them daily for periods of time commuting as well as up and down the country for shows etc...I have been pulled for it once in 25 years , most Cops aren't that bothered if you aren't driving like a tw@t or your cars not hanging ...the time I got pulled was for faulty rear lights and he added fenders to the list....

Also , at the moment , although it is destined to change sometime , the fenders aren't required for MOT .....so its an offence to drive them to a roadworthiness test but it wont fail when you get there !!!!!

The Burlington looks great Nick , I like it .....
Old 19th May 2012, 17:32

Thanks Gary, I knew you would 'pull me over ' on that one!
Old 19th May 2012, 20:52

Now, the 'front mudguards/fenders' issue is something I'd paid some attention to a few years back when I was thinking of building a Volksrod and rather liked the bare front wheels look. I have to admit that I couldn't find much relevant information back then and both my taste in cars and the World generally moved on anyway so it wasn't much of an issue for me.

But the question has sort of cropped up again as a matter of general interest on this forum so I took a couple of minutes at the end of my shift this evening to ask a colleague with near thirty years experience in Roads Policing whether front mudguards are a requirement?

The answer? As an individual officer, that particular scenario would be filed under 'too difficult to deal with' and words of advice would be given rather than a prosecution sought. Generally speaking I have to agree with his opinion on that one and if I were to stop a 'rod with no fenders myself for some legitimate reason I'd probably be too busy admiring the detailing to worry too much about the, erm, details. But I have to say that where vehicle condition and the use it's being put to is concerned, there are other bits of legislation apart from 'construction and use' that may apply depending on the circumstances.

So, in this little bit of West Norfolk you'd probably get by fine with no fenders on the front of your 'rod so long as the sun's shining. But there are officers who are far more 'clenched' than I and no doubt have a more thorough understanding of the finer points of the road traffic act, so if your front wheels are throwing rooster tails in your face when you fail to see the jam sandwich lurking at the roadside then don't come crying to me that you've got points on your licence...
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:47

....and talking of tonneaus.....reallly pleased with mine. In all that rain we had my Burlington stayed dry inside. Another plus side of the tonneau is it does preserve that new car rubbery smell
Ps. Mudguards going on....only because its too wet to use the car!
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:42

davecymru is on a distinguished road

For those of you dithering/waiting on what to do, but you still want to get out-n-about then i can recommend the cheap-n-cheery approach of using an off-cut of groundsheet/tarpaulin, some after market eyelets and 4 bungees!

It worked a treat for me this last weekend and based on that i'm in no hurry to go "posher" as i've got other things to spend money on 1st <cough>engine</cough>

Old 3rd July 2012, 09:22

Like the tarp Dave, does what it says on the tin. What's up with your engine?