Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th October 2013, 17:29

ikon246 is on a distinguished road
Default wire wheels

hello
can anyone give me an idea is it ok to fit 15inch x 5j with 165/80 x 15
tyres to a sammio spyder with a herald bulkhead.........will they rub or not.
thanks for any info......clive
Available from eBay
Old 19th October 2013, 19:31

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikon246 View Post
hello
can anyone give me an idea is it ok to fit 15inch x 5j with 165/80 x 15
tyres to a sammio spyder with a herald bulkhead.........will they rub or not.
thanks for any info......clive
They'll have a total diameter of 64.5cm compared to the 63.56cm diameter of 175/80/14's, which just fit. You'll probably need to bash the front bulkheads in a bit with a lump hammer and don't lower the suspension too much, but you might just get away with them. Try borrowing a pair of wires fitted with 175/80/14's and see if you've got another 5mm to play with.

Here's a useful tool for comparing tyre sizes -

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

Good luck!
Old 19th October 2013, 20:29

hi thanks for the info, i guess i will need a big lump hammer.
maybe better to go with the mgb 14inch wheels?
ta fo your info
Old 21st October 2013, 11:13

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Clive,

in short - yes they will touch both the bulkhead and the front outrigger on full lock.

You will need to modify the bulkhead (hammer or cut/weld) and restrict full lock or move the outrigger.

My Sammio Spyder had the same problems and although I modded the bulkheads, they still touched the outrigger on full lock. http://www.mysammiospyder.co.uk/theb...012_03_18.html

On my Miglia Speedster, the bulkhead is set further back so that isn't an issue, but the front outrigger is, so I put a couple of sleeves on the steering rack to limit the full lock.
http://www.mymigliaspeedster.co.uk/b...6%20-%20Wheels

To be honest, it is a little trial and error - my starting point point was based on the look of the wheel/tyre combo that suited the car - then I just made them fit!

Good luck!
Old 21st October 2013, 14:13

hi thanks for the info, i think i will do the same............what about the mgb wires 14inch is there the same problem? as i have a choice at the moment.
thanks to every one for the info............clive
Old 21st October 2013, 15:13

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Clive,

As Mr Towed says, check the rolling radius out, but bear in mind that it is also affected by the offset of the wheels and tyre height/width.

Most with 14" wheels don't have major problems, and so that is your safest bet unless you fancy some modifications....

T
Old 21st October 2013, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
Clive,

As Mr Towed says, check the rolling radius out, but bear in mind that it is also affected by the offset of the wheels and tyre height/width.

Most with 14" wheels don't have major problems, and so that is your safest bet unless you fancy some modifications....

T
There can also be differences between chassis - Phil J has been able to just knock on the 175/80/14's on both the cars he's built without any clearance issues while I had to move my bulkhead back 20mm and bash it with a lump hammer to get 175/70/14's to fit without fouling.

Have you considered using 4.5 x 15 MGA wires fitted with 155/80/15's? They should be a relatively straightforward fit, subject to all of the above...
Old 21st October 2013, 18:49

rattler is on a distinguished road

hi I used mgd w/w 175/70/14 one side clears by 5mm the other by 10mm as others have said all cars a bit different. they put one on and let me try it hope this helps dave r
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:23

Default wire wheels

hi again
thanks for all the infp,here we go i have decided to use 14inch mgb wheels//
so that said can any one advise me the best tyre size? 165x14?...175x70x14? or whats the best size....................thanks clive ikon 246
Old 24th October 2013, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikon246 View Post
hi again
thanks for all the infp,here we go i have decided to use 14inch mgb wheels//
so that said can any one advise me the best tyre size? 165x14?...175x70x14? or whats the best size....................thanks clive ikon 246
That's very much down to personal taste and what will fit your specific chassis/bulkhead. A number of factors come into play: the adaptors add a couple of inches to the track width over the bolt on thirteens, and the MGB wheels and tyres are substantially larger than the Triumph steels. To give some idea of the difference, here's a shot of a 165/80/14 next to a 165/80/13 -

After doing loads of measuring and head scratching I decided I was going to need to move my bulkhead back to get anything much bigger than 165/13's to fit, so I redrilled the mounting holes and moved it back 20mm -

This allowed me to fit 175/70/14's without them fouling, although with the 95mm lowered front springs I used I still had to bash the bulkhead in a bit to stop the scuffing the paint off it -

Taken in isolation, I like the look of the 175/70/14's - nobody's ever said 'hang on a minute, those tyres don't look right....'

But when I park my car next to Phil and Barry's, which both wear 175/80/14's, I feel like the kid wearing monkey boots who's mates all have Doc Marten's on (bit of 70's fashion culture for those too young to remember).

It might look like a subtle difference - the sidewall is 1.75cm taller on the 80 profile tyres - but it stands out to me.

So, I've now raised the suspension a fair bit, both to give better (some!) ground clearance and to allow taller tyres to fit, and I now plan to try some 175/80/14's. It'd probably be easier to fit 165/80/14's, which would only add 0.95cms to the sidewall height compared to what's already fitted, but there's very limited availability of that size now, with only a couple of nasty budget brands or Vredestein Sprint Classics at £125 per corner on the market (they would look good though).

The 175/80/14 size, however, is standard fit on just about all base model VW Golfs and the equivalent Skoda and Seat models, so there's loads of choice at reasonable prices, with Dunlops, Continentals and Firestones all available for less than £70 each fitted.

http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

I hope the above helps you decide what to go for. Good luck!
Old 25th October 2013, 17:46

hi again lets see what is the best sise i now have a refurbished set of 14inch ngb wire wheels(bought off ebay) i have also bought the long adaptors from tr london................sizes there seems to be a lot of dfferent ideas?
165x80x14?
175x70x14
175x80x14
all sizes available??????????????

whats everyone recon
what have you fitted and how do they look?
cheers everyone
kon246 clive