Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 11th July 2014, 00:13

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Stard View Post
So you ordered a kit El Primer? Did you take any pictures?
NO.
Old 11th July 2014, 09:15

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Schoolboy oversight!

note: this is said in jest!!!
Old 11th July 2014, 10:59

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

Don't know what all this fuss is about with photos, I didn't see the miglia in the flesh, or meet mike or visited his work place. I just bought the kit. If you want one you will go ahead and buy it. A photo doesn't make a car the builder does, photos can make anything look great??????
Old 11th July 2014, 17:03

garyh is on a distinguished road

Photos can make anything look great?????? Almost... I would want to see a picture? Probably too fussy.
Old 11th July 2014, 18:09

Barry Stard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Photos can make anything look great?????? Almost... I would want to see a picture? Probably too fussy.
Woof woof! Steady on now.
Old 12th July 2014, 15:22

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurcroft flyer View Post
Don't know what all this fuss is about with photos, I didn't see the miglia in the flesh, or meet mike or visited his work place. I just bought the kit. If you want one you will go ahead and buy it. A photo doesn't make a car the builder does, photos can make anything look great??????
The fuss over photo's is a complicated and ongoing theme on here.
The more they ask in the manner in which it is done , the less willing Mike is to pamper to the requests , so they ask again ! Its become a battle of wills in my opinion.

I agree with your sentiment above Thurcroft but surely if you didn't see one in the flesh and just bought the kit , what was your purchase decision based on ? Probably pictures !

And I agree , photo's can make anything look good . The Sammio has received some criticism on its symmetry issues recently on here , If you based your buying decision on reading the various threads relating to the horrors of measurement deviations you wouldn't go near the product , but there are a half dozen or so finished examples that appear to be , in their pictures , truly superb in my opinion and several more that look great, that haven't received major corrective surgery.

The Ribbles , Miglias , Tributes etc etc will also all fail the tape measure test
as do many original examples of classic race car. Having recently spoken to a friend building a 550 Spyder on this very subject , his Sammio 550 / was a modified Banham / was a modified M & W / was a modified Beck / was reputedly moulded from an original race car has many discrepencies in its symmetry too.

It is widely known Cobras have one door longer than the other , something that was highlighted when hardtops were being created and fitted , E types are miles out , bonnets for example supplied over size for the bodyman to trim back as desired as they are all a bit wrong . This list goes on and on .

Not trying to keep the argument going , every Miglia thread nowadays seem to end up going down the same path , which is a shame.

Last edited by EL PRIMER; 12th July 2014 at 15:33..
Old 12th July 2014, 17:25

rattler is on a distinguished road

never put a tape near my car only for the wheel arches and it looks spot on not only my opinion /but not everyones cup of tea/ thats the beauty of these cars you do what you like .and no one has one like yours rattler
Old 12th July 2014, 20:26

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

I like your reply rattler. my sentiments exactly. my reason for building one of these cars is budget, for the kit price nothing else comes near them, and it's the individual charm in each one that makes them. if you want a top class kit go and pay for one. I built a jc midge many moons ago, and if you put it on a scale for midge builders of 1 to 10 with 10 being a engineering wonder, mine was around an 8. people would not believe it was a plan built car put on the road for around £2000 with the donor included. fooled many a classic car fan.when I retire I may be able to go out and buy a £20 grand cobra or jag ss 100 kit, but as of yet I chose the miglia, regardless of the photos, because I knew at the price I paid, what to expect (hopefully to put it on the road as a unique hand built car, built by me', for me, worts and all) that's the end of this thread for me back to the car building section.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:25

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Well, here's hoping that I can see my car - off on hols, so will catch up with Mike in mid August. All the best everyone, and hope your builds go well
Old 7th August 2014, 19:28

PJ GRABOWSKI is on a distinguished road

Marc F , when you visit the car after your vacation , I know I sound like a schmuck but ; and I really know its forbidden to ask ; but please if you can ( phone quality is fine ) could you record the event by means of image and share with us ?
I have just seen the great picture that Davecymro has posted of his body sat on floor which really shows the body well. I know your car is being built to turnkey at the moment so assume body cannot be removed for a similar shot but any side profile showing dimensional differences would be great.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:20

Ok, been down and caught up with Mike - car is looking good and well proportioned, still some internal framework issues to resolve and I will be looking at the floor pans to modify Mike's standard Herald ones to fit the Spit chassis better.

Now, the bad news - we had so much to talk about that I did not take photos. Neither did my two mates who came to look, neither did Nick Jones who came to bring me my new rear driveshafts (which feel really good - cheers Nick. So couple of weeks now.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:43

This Sunday - down to pick up my car - body and frame. Hope the weather is good. Photos to follow
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the pick up.

I get the feeling quite a few people are looking forward to seeing those photos.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:06

Will do. Mike has sprayed it white so the shortening join is not visible, but it will look a lot nicer once I paint it..., yep, red :-)
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F View Post
it will look a lot nicer once I paint it..., yep, red :-)
Good colour choice! Everyone knows that Red ones go faster!
Old 5th October 2014, 21:27

Well, got car, and some quick pics on my phone - so next step is work out how to get photos onto here.

Dave - interested to get a glimpse of your bonnet - is it double skinned? Mine is only single skinned. Also, my frame did not come with a central tunnel section - did you make yours or was it part of the kit?

Lot to do with mine, waiting for Mike to get me the grill and side vent trims, but otherwise looking forward to get going on this. Time for me to start a new build thread (once I get the photo business sorted).
Old 6th October 2014, 17:16

Hey matey,

As far as the photos are concerned, have a look at something like http://photobucket.com/ you simply sign up for a free account and then add the photos directly from your phone/tablet with their app, or upload them via the web site and then simply copy-n-paste the links into your posts.

My bonnet is single skinned, i think, but it is lovely and thick! and reenforced. I'll try and get some pics later if you'd like?

I was tunnel-less as well. With the old Sammio frame there was a very basic tunnel frame but just about everyone reworked that in some way. I'd already ordered a load of Mild Steel box section as i knew i'd want to fabricate "stuff" at some point, so it wasn't a problem and it did allow me to tailor the height exactly to me and the handbrake i chose.

I'm looking forward to seeing those photos as so far I've not seen two frames the same (Mike does improve things as he gets feedback, which is good!), so it'll be good to compare.
Old 6th October 2014, 17:36

Ok, have joined, but now to see if I can get my work phone to connect. Then will try and upload. Currently, I have to email them to myself.

I will fabricate a centre section - Mike welded in th master cylinder plate but once I get my seat in the right place I may move that.

My bonnet does not fit and will need fastening at all four corners to get it to sit in shape. Will be interesting to see what we all do around sealing our bonnets as it does not have a gutter, and so will leak if not careful. I may use external hinges (Spitfire boot hinges?) at the back and straps at the front - a long way off yet so just idle musings.

My first job is to strip the engine down - I rebuilt it many years ago and then it sat around, so will strip and inspect and aim to get it running. Just ordered some graphogen to lube it up on reassembly.

Next job will be to buy some square section and some ally sheeting, and get my cockpit sorted. Should be fun - going to be cold for 6 months
Old 7th October 2014, 16:05

Old 7th October 2014, 16:06

Ok, clearly I need to know now how to make the pics smaller :-)