Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 26th March 2018, 21:31
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default My baby is back at home.....

Over the weekend I found time to complete the repairs to the radiator cowl.

I finished re-enforcing the back of the cowl with glass mating and resin and then ground it flat with a flap disk in my angle grinder.

Painting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

After I sanded down the front I found the damage was much worse than I first thought. It had already been repaired before being broken again. I dug out all the cracked gelcoat and filled it with GRP filler.

I also created a raised 'plinth' for the badge....

I then retrieved the front wings that have been hanging from the garage rafters for the last few years. They were covered in dust and spiders poo so I gave them a quick wash.

Today, we collected the body tub and doors from the painters, but first we loaded up the front wings.

And then the trailer was hitched up for the journey back home.

And it's now tucked up safely back in my garage at home.

Happy days

....peter
Old 4th April 2018, 20:33
Enthusiast

Default Fuel level sender mods

A few weeks back I mentioned that I will give an update on the Fuel level sender modifications I've been working on.

This is the Ford combined 'lifter pump' and fuel level sender that fits the Granada fuel tank installed in the Sabre. But the Ford sender's resistance is not compatible with the ETB Fuel gauge that I have bought.

Fuel Level Sender by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
(sorry about the poor quality photo's)

This is the ETB fuel level sender. Luckily, the full range from Empty to Full is covered by a 90 degree sweep which is the same as the Ford sender. Also, the RTB sender's variable resistance part is easily unbolted.

Before dismantling the Ford sender I marked the Full and Empty positions. It was easy to remove the Ford variable resistor by just bending back a couple of tabs.

I then mounted the ETB rheostat to the Ford support leg using M6 screws and some aluminium tube spacers. A very fiddly job!!

And here is a side view of ETB sender mounted on Ford fuel tank unit. In the Full position.

It seems to work OK so just need to wire it up and make sure the gauge reads correctly; and then make sure it fits OK in the tank.

Another little job ticked off the plan

.....peter
Old 5th May 2018, 20:12
Enthusiast

Default Nearly done....

Well the final three body panels are being prepped for paint. The front wings and boot lid have been stripped of the old paint and primed ready for flatting.

Front wings and bootlid by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Should be finished next week.

I then just need to find the time to start the re-assembly

...peter
Old 5th May 2018, 21:09

Barber is on a distinguished road

There is something special about those cats.
Old 10th July 2018, 20:35
Enthusiast

So, very little progress on the Sabre over the last few months due to other priorities and projects taking up all my time. The painting of all the body parts was completed and all parts are now safely stored back in my garage loft awaiting re-assembly.

Here's a quick summary of a few jobs completed over the last few weeks.
Picking up on my last update back in May, I finished modifying the fuel tank level sender and tested it.

Fuel Level sender by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then fitted it to the tank to seal up the tank and stop anymore dust getting in. I did give the tank a good hoover out before fitting the sender/pump unit.
I really struggled to fit the locking ring until I made up this improvised tool. With my hands on the wooden baton I was able to push down and turn the ring.

Fuel level sender locking ring tool by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Some weeks back I chemically stripped the paint from the camshaft cover but everytime I finished cleaning it, it then oxidised and left white powdery residue. So I decided to have it shot blasted. It was amazing to find a grit blaster in a farm building only half a mile from my home. Nice matt finish ready for primer.

Engine Camshaft Cover by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Then a quick coat of VHT primer and topcoat.

I've also painted the engine sump.....

Sump painted by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I know I've said it before but I hope to have some more regular updates to follow

....peter
Old 11th July 2018, 06:29

Amir Manzoori is on a distinguished road

Good to see you back with your ingenious ideas. Keep it coming, I for one am dying to see the finished product which I am sure will be second to none.
Old 23rd July 2018, 20:53
Enthusiast

Default Brackets, brackets, brackets.....

Amir - thanks again for the encoraging comments :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small pause for my sons wedding last weekend but I have spent a few days on the Sabre.
I've got a long'ish list of small tasks to complete before the final fitting of the painted body tub to the chassis.
I've spent quite a lot of time finishing and painting all the exhaust brackets.

Brackets by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Exhaust back box by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I've painted the back box as it can show under the back of the car.

I've also been tidying up a couple of brake line fixing...

Brake lines by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I wasn't happy with this line so I've changed it to a banjo fitting which looks much better....

And added a p-clip in the engine bay as I couldn't drill the fixing hole with the engine in place last year.

One of the draw backs of a, ahem, extended build schedule is that things can deteriorate before you've finished. One of the handbrake dust boots has perished and split. Not quite sure what I will do yet....

IMG_6818 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Another problem is that the chassis has been stored outside under a tarpaulin for the last 7 months. Some little blighters have been scratching away my chassis foam. No great loss as I had already decided to replace it as it compressed so much the body was touching the chassis is some places.
The traditional method is to use felt but the drawback is that you have to seal all around all the edges to stop rain soaking into the felt. After discussing it with Robin, I've opted to go for solid neoprene rubber.
Before...
Chassis insulation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

After.....
Chassis insulation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So, a few more jobs ticked off the list and I'll finish with this shot....

Summer heat! by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

How quickly we forget how cold it was last winter

....peter
Old 30th July 2018, 19:38
Enthusiast

Default More brackets.....

Yet more brackets being finished and painted.....

More brackets by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

But some are now fitted back on the chassis

Exhaust hanger by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The BMW offside engine mount has a heatshield to protect it from the exhaust manifold heat. I removed the plate, painted both parts and then re-riveted the shield back on.

Offside Engine mount by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

More exciting updates next week

...peter
Old 7th August 2018, 21:07
Enthusiast

Default Bonus day!

Unexpectedly due a last minute change of family plans I suddenly had all day on Sunday working on the car. So I thought I'd have a go at fitting the clutch and gearbox back on the engine.

I started by preparing the gearbox, clutch release lever and bearing. I replaced the little spring clip as the old one was broken.

Clutch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then checked the new clutch plate fitted the splines and spread the HMP grease supplied on the spindle.

I then removed the engine from the engine stand where it had been for the last few months.

Engine by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then removed the old pilot bearing using the bread method. (check it out on Youtube if you've not heard of this method). Basically, you pack the back of the bearing with soft white bread and hammer a bolt in the hole. The force on the bread pushes the bearing out.Here you can see the bearing starting to emerge.

Pilot bearing removal by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

And finally the old bearing is out. A quick clean up and the new bearing was tapped in with a socket.

Pilot bearing replacement by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The plate that goes between the engine and gearbox had already been de-rusted, cleaned up and painted.

Gearbox closing plate by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Plate in position before fitting the flywheel.

Closing plate by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The flywheel was refitted with new BMW bolts. The old bolts cannot be re-used as they are stretch bolts. They have to be tightened to 105Nm so I made up this locking tool. (The long bolt actually bent a little but it served it's purpose)

Flywheel by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Clutch centering tool used to align the clutch plate with the cover assembly. Clutch cover then bolted to the flywheel with new 10.9 HT screws.

The engine was then lowered to the ground and supported on blocks of wood.

Gearbox fitting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The gearbox was then supported on blocks and a scissor jack to allign it with the engine and then with a bit of jiggling it slotted home. Gearbox bolts then fitted and tightened to the correct torque.

Gearbox fitting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The engine and gearbox was then refitted to the chassis.

Engine fitting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Despite the the 30 degree heat it was a very enjoyable day followed by a nice cold beer

...peter
Old 7th August 2018, 22:01

molleur is on a distinguished road

Well done!
Old 8th August 2018, 12:11

Always a pleasure to see the progress on here. Good work.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:35

I have been enjoying all your posts. And now, every time I see your move, I can't wait to see the next move you make, all meticulously carried out to perfection. Good on you my friend.
Old 14th August 2018, 20:40
Enthusiast

Default A little exhausted......

Thanks Molleur, Barber and Amir for your feedback and I'm glad you all enjoying my updates.

However, it appears that my meticulous rebuild overlooked one vital item. It's been highlighted by Mike, (builder of the superb Marlin Cabrio documented in the Marlin section of this forum and BMW e36 aficionado), that I should have replaced the clutch lever pivot pin. These are apparently a common failure point on the e36 and can result in a very difficult clutch engagement position.
It means that I'll have to separate the gearbox from the engine again, but i'd rather do this now while the body tub is not in position.
But more on that next time........

I've only been able to spend about half a day on the car this week and I tackled the clean up and refit of the exhaust manifold. With hindsight it would have been easier to this while the engine was on the engine stand.

First, I had to replace the 24 exhaust manifold studs. They are an unusual size of M7 so you have to get genuine BMW studs.

Exhaust manifold by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then cleaned up the manifolds with a wire brush and scrapped off the old gaskets. They were then refitted with with new copper coated lock nuts and new gaskets. I used a smear of Copper ease on the studs and the nuts were tightened up to the specified torque of 20Nm.

Exhaust manifold by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Until next time, enjoy your builds...........

...peter

P.S. I found this interesting report of a Royale Sabre in Russia!!

https://www.retrorf.ru/royalsabre

(You'll have to use your web browser to translate unless your fluent in Russian )
Old 22nd August 2018, 20:17
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Nice engine Coming togther
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nice engine Coming togther
Thanks, Patrick.

------------------------------------------------------

No update this week due to holidays.
Old 19th September 2018, 21:09
Enthusiast

Following a short holiday away I returned to the realisation that the neglected window frames on my cottage had been ignored for long enough and really did need my urgent attention.

Today was my first chance to get back to the Sabre so picking up where I stopped in August.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
However, it appears that my meticulous rebuild overlooked one vital item. It's been highlighted by Mike, (builder of the superb Marlin Cabrio documented in the Marlin section of this forum and BMW e36 aficionado), that I should have replaced the clutch lever pivot pin. These are apparently a common failure point on the e36 and can result in a very difficult clutch engagement position.
It means that I'll have to separate the gearbox from the engine again, but i'd rather do this now while the body tub is not in position.
But more on that next time........
.............so out came the gearbox again. Quite easy really with no bodywork in places and with only half a dozen or so bolts to remove it didn't take long.

I then removed the clutch release bearing and lever. Removing the old pivot is easy as you can drift it out from the outside of the gearbox. I hadn't inspected it properly before and was shocked to see how worn it was. I was going to replace it with the standard BMW part (shown on the left) until I bought one. For some reason only known to BMW it has a hole up the centre which leaves only 5mm of solid material at the tip.
Having looked at the new part I decided to get a stainless steel replacement (Hack Engineering). It is a nicely machined part but I polished the tip to prevent any wear on the clutch leaver.
I'm indebted to Mike for highlighting this issue which I had overlooked.
Thanks, Mike

Clutch lever pivot by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Refitting the gearbox was quickly done and then I treated it to some nice new oil.

Gearbox Oil replaced by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Nice quality oil from Gulf but a stupid shape bottle that slips out your hand and has no filling tube like the old Castrol bottles had.You need about 1.2 litres so you have to buy two bottles!

Following the discovery of perished dust covers on my first handbrake cable I had another one shortened. This one has solid rubber dust covers which will hopefully last longer.

Another handbrake cable by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Another handbrake cable by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So a few more jobs ticked of my task list......

.....peter
Old 12th October 2018, 14:12
Enthusiast

Default Not a lot.....

Despite my best intentions holidays, days out and other commitments have prevented much progress being made on the Sabre in the last few weeks.
I have been refitting the exhaust system for the final time with all the brackets painted and with exhaust paste in the joints.(no pictures as it looks pretty much the same as before!)

Still working my way through 'my list of things to do' before fitting the painted body tub but as fast as I complete tasks i keep thinking of more things to do!
I have a thinner front ARB to fit and some new rear springs, but more on that in my next update.

...peter
Old 12th October 2018, 16:13

Peter, it is a kit car, there will always be a to do list.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Peter, it is a kit car, there will always be a to do list.
So true, so true! !
Old 13th October 2018, 18:25

I wouldn't call it kit car Peter, but a Bespoke, a one off and in your particular case an art work. Keep up the good work, you are doing brilliantly.