Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 10th January 2019, 21:26

Hughandjen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by couerdelion View Post
got a delivery this morning... :-)

New gauges by couerdelion2013, on Flickr
Hi
I’m starting a build and live these gauges. Could you tell me where you got them from and what price they were
Thanks
Hugh
Old 10th January 2019, 22:55

couerdelion is on a distinguished road

Hi

They were from http://etbinstruments.com/

They are not shown on the website and are a special order - I emailed them and asked about ordering the DNA 250 gauges.

They were 895 + vat.
Old 11th January 2019, 08:59

ThNks I will drop them a line
Old 14th January 2019, 15:04

I’ve ordered the gauges
Thank you
Old 26th February 2019, 16:33

Still not had chance to do much but have been picking up a few things to keep me interested.

Rear window - MGB GT rear screen obtained - got one with the rear heating element - might end up going with lexan though / still thinking about the bigger window option....

Foglights - got Marchal ones - will need some restoring but love the look of them.

Wing mirrors - bought some from GT Classiche - no longer on their site so can't show till they arrive - they looked pretty good on the photos though.

Dashboard is ready to be cut - I'll be measuring and marking and double checking 3-4 times this time!
Old 26th February 2019, 17:43

molleur is on a distinguished road

The Lexan rear window is the boss! MGB-GT window just doesn't do it for me.
Ordering the Lexan kit from Grassbank this week.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
The Lexan rear window is the boss! MGB-GT window just doesn't do it for me.
Ordering the Lexan kit from Grassbank this week.
The wider, more 250 one?

Can I ask how much?
Old 27th February 2019, 12:26

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by couerdelion View Post
The wider, more 250 one?

Can I ask how much?
Yes, the wider 250 one. Rive them a ring for pricing. Expensive to ship to the USA for me.
Old 19th May 2020, 16:35

I'd advise anyone who is thinking of building a kit car whilst studying a BSc and then a MSc not to bother!

Finally handed in my thesis and successfully defended it today (I hope!) - so back to the build!

I've not been up to even see the car in a while so having to read my own thread to work out where I am.

First job is going to be getting the seats in. Oder the metal I need to fabricate mounts and going to get them done asap. I'm not even worried about going for sliding - I always have the seat back as far as it goes so no need. Yes, might be a problem if I sell on. But c'est la vie for now.

Interesting developments in the world of replicas I see, but this was never going to be an attempt to look the same - will likely get some badges made that "recreate the spirit".

Other than that - expect lots of questions as I try to remember what the chuff I was doing and struggle to find posts I read before.
Old 20th May 2020, 14:45

Simon E is on a distinguished road

Great to see this on the go again! Question for you - you don't happen to have the front wings that you removed from the Z3 do you? If so are they rust free?

My dad has a Z3 and the front wings have gone rusty from the inside out along that horizontal panel at the rear of the wing. He is in Co Wicklow so not too far from you.
Old 21st May 2020, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
Great to see this on the go again! Question for you - you don't happen to have the front wings that you removed from the Z3 do you? If so are they rust free?

My dad has a Z3 and the front wings have gone rusty from the inside out along that horizontal panel at the rear of the wing. He is in Co Wicklow so not too far from you.
I'm 99% positive I have - I'm hoping to get up to the unit this weekend so will let you know for definite. From memory they were in good condition.
Old 21st May 2020, 11:46

Simon E is on a distinguished road

Cool, I'll send you a PM so I don't clog up your build thread with spare parts talk!
Old 10th March 2022, 11:41

I'm writing this to give me some motivation as there's no actual updates.

It's nearly 5 years since I started this thread and still dont have a 250 SWB to show for it. About 6 months ago I accepted an offer on the unfinished project but that all went quiet and to be honest, I'm kinda glad it did. I hate not finishing things and selling it unfinished would have been a regret as I dont think I'd start a kitcar project again (famous last words!).

I do have a ton of excuses but really just need to get on with it. I think it was JaguarTVR that said about picking the jobs off one by one and it's a very good plan.
How do you eat an elephant? One mouthful at a time.

I've been browsing here again last couple of days picking up bits of inspiration. Been on the grassbank site and made a list of parts to order when I get paid at the end of the month (it's a pain the UK not being in the EU anymore!). Bonnet Sill Locators, Gear Stick. Luggage Shelf Trim, Door Cards, Door Tops, Arm Rest... Do I go for the handbrake conversion?... Will I be kicking myself if I dont do the rear screen?

I read through my own thread last night and found I'd bought wing mirrors that I didnt recall!

Going to head up to the unit this weekend and make a big long list of all the jobs to be done. The main problem with doing very little for nigh on four years is that I've no idea where I was with parts of the project. As for working out all the wiring... I knew I should have labeled it all and stored the photos somewhere I could remember.

Plan is for a road trip in September 2023 - a few mountain passes, some french wine and cheese. There will be plenty of pictures and updates coming over the next few months (I promise this time!) and I'll be asking a ton of questions.
Old 10th March 2022, 12:28

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon , from personal experience the rear screen would be first on the list , all the best for the restart of your build , Geoff .
Old 10th March 2022, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
Good afternoon, from personal experience the rear screen would be first on the list, all the best for the restart of your build, Geoff.
Thanks, Geoff - yeah that's what I was thinking. Just a real pain to get one to Ireland (duties + vat). Might have to wait till I'm over at Christmas and get everything else sorted (except paint) before then.

Assuming though that I need to replace the 'parcel shelf' too if I upgrade - I know it comes in the kit
Old 11th March 2022, 08:45

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by couerdelion
Plan is for a road trip in September 2023 - a few mountain passes, some french wine and cheese. There will be plenty of pictures and updates coming over the next few months (I promise this time!) and I'll be asking a ton of questions.

Good to read that you've re-kindled your enthusiasm . Pin up some pictures of idyllic rural France in your work space to keep it burning!

Regards, Mick
Old 11th March 2022, 08:56

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I personally wouldn't bother with the handbrake conversion. It is expensive and I can see it being a pain to fit. 99.9% of people wouldn't even notice it.
The rear screen is expensive but transforms the look of the car so I would fit one. Have a word with Justin at Grassbank and explain that you will fit it later. Maybe Justin or Classic Conversions could fit it for you? Drive over, get it fitted and have a week's holiday, suddenly the VAT and import duties disappear.
Worth looking at the Grassbank door window conversion, horribly expensive but a gamechanger,
Old 11th March 2022, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I personally wouldn't bother with the handbrake conversion. It is expensive and I can see it being a pain to fit. 99.9% of people wouldn't even notice it.
The rear screen is expensive but transforms the look of the car so I would fit one. Have a word with Justin at Grassbank and explain that you will fit it later. Maybe Justin or Classic Conversions could fit it for you? Drive over, get it fitted and have a week's holiday, suddenly the VAT and import duties disappear.
Worth looking at the Grassbank door window conversion, horribly expensive but a gamechanger,
I think I'm in the 0.1% who look at the handbrake straight away. I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the centre tunnel yet either though. The handbrake isnt on my must-have list... more a would like to have. It also comes down to that I arent trying to pass it off as a copy so is it needed? Damn , I'm so indecisive.

The rear window is expensive but makes the car look that much better. That'll take a chunk out of next years bonus.
Old 11th March 2022, 18:23

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
My thinking too !
If you want an authentic look I'd go for the narrow track conversion as well. More money but the proportions of the car work so much better.
Old 12th March 2022, 14:12

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you choose a 6" wide wheel it fits without having to modify the track, ok you don't get 1/2" of rim showing at the edge but it is so much easier to fit and the wheels are much cheaper too. I fitted a 205/65 tyre which is wider than the wheel so it should stop the Mrs from kerbing them, well it has done up to now which could be termed a miracle.

This is also on standard springs, I did fit lowered spings but it kept grounding and the ride quality was horrible.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 12th March 2022 at 14:17..