Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd April 2011, 16:42

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmy View Post
Yes! I can't wait! If it's going to be nearly as good looking as the existing Sammio has become, I'm definitely in for a body and frame! I'll start chopping up my Scimitar and deciding on a colorscheme... Keep up the good work, I'll be following the evolution closely!

Gr.,
Scimmy
Don't start cutting that car just yet !! Is yours an SE5 ?

IT DOES NEED TO BE AN SE5 OR 5A.

We are planning on offering it as a bodyshell similar to the Sammio that you will graft onto your existing Scimitar bulkhead and floor section...not sure how the bracing is going to work yet.....this will be the cheapest way to buy the body....

.I am also planning on moulding it as a complete replacement bodyshell incorporating bulkhead and floor and internal bracing but that needs developing after we have the initial cheaper shell option sorted...the complete shell will be considerably dearer than the outer skin style but will be less complicated to build...

Work won't be fast on this , I am going to be putting in a few days a week on it and any extra time I can find , but Sammio builds and kits etc is keeping us busy right now as well as funds being limited for new projects .....I have a Porsche 550 replica on a modified Beetle chassis under development as well which should mean we can supply an internal tube frame that will bolt on to your modified Beetle chassis and support a 550 Porsche body panel kit - all for under £2000 !
Old 26th April 2011, 13:59

Scimmy is on a distinguished road

It's an Se5a, so no problem there! And given the fact that it probably won't be very soon before I get the body off my Scim anyway, I'm not in a hurry. Which doesn't mean I don't want it as soon as possible

Some inspiration I came across: http://www.britishracecar.com/SteveKonsin-LesterMG.htm

Gr.,
Scimmy
Old 7th May 2011, 14:53

Hi,
I have secured a deal with a nationwide transport company - DYCE CARRIERS to deliver our packages anywhere U.K. Mainland for a max of £350.

Any fairly localish deliveries we can deal with in-house or arrange smaller couriers , where this deal comes through is when Scottish parties or Northern Wales etc are interested...we are right at the bottom of the U.K. which can be geographically challenging for some folk.

We have just taken advantage of this deal and sent a kit to North of Glasgow for a customer....We have another going to Northumberland next week as well...

Incidentally , if anyone collects a kit , this is the recommended way to get it in a van....in this format it takes up just over 9' x 5' of floor space !

Last edited by lancelot link; 7th May 2011 at 14:56..
Old 7th May 2011, 14:58

I'm starting a new thread for the Scimitar based bodies for anyone who's interested.....

Keep this thread uncomplicated !!
Old 15th May 2011, 19:21

ANYONE CONSIDERING A TURN KEY MIGHT FIND THIS INTERESTING....

http://www.sammio-spyder.com/forsale.html
Old 18th May 2011, 10:57

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default Patrices Sammio Modifications

Hi Patrice (and all)
New to the forum as a poster but been reading with interest for months, great progress Patrice and a lovely looking car, hope you dont mind but as someone clearly more advanced mechanically than me I have a few questions about your fantastic car..
Ive recently acquired a Sammio (thanks Gary), thats having some minor mods being finished off at the moment e.g. roll hoop, uprated suspension, race bonnet pins, 1500 twin carb engine, tubular exhaust etc etc. etc.

Interested in what you have done with the engine cooling system, looks like its been uprated in your car and is that the standard or a bigger radiator? Also, did you move the battery inboard for weight distribution or because of space after the beefed up pipework etc you fitted?
Have you also fitted an oil cooler?

Also, I may be wrong but looks in one pic like you have a side exit exhaust? If so, what is it and how do you get around a) heat in the cockpit and b) noise levels for inspection without a silencer?
Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me and keep up the posts, they are very motivational!
Old 18th May 2011, 19:12

patoune is on a distinguished road

Hi Soporsche

The engine that I have use in my Sammio is a standard one coming from a spitfire MK1. Have modify the cooling system because with the front bonnet we are obliged to go down the radiator (a standard one !) Have a look to the picture. With this kink of water box you use about 2 liters more with always water level above your head.

Have move the battery who is now inboard, it’s easier to cut off when I dont use the car.

No for instant no oil cooler have been fit.

Yes, have a side exit exhaust (home made) and the silencer is under the side passenger. Have use a race exhaust manifold and a silencer similar as a cherry bomb silencer. (No more than 95/100 dlb)

Old 22nd May 2011, 08:59

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Any chance of a separate "build area" for Sammios?
I know there are a few of us building them atm and it seems a shame to clutter up this thread.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:42

Patton is on a distinguished road

I'm for a build bit (area) but haven't got a clue how to go about setting one up. I can't get a photo of my build onto the site, from J28 M5
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:05

I guess we just hope a forum admin/mod spots this and there's enough interest to warrant our own section?
p.s. you're not to far away from me, i'm by M5 J22!

In the meantime i may as well post a quick overview of where i am. After my last project died a slow and painful death (LONG story!) I'm not messing around this time and i fully plan to build the car, get it on the road and enjoy it this summer.

Then I'll overhaul the engine or chassis this winter, drive it next summer, overhaul something else next winter then repeat-as-necessary, as the shampoo advert says

So far the Vitesse has been bought and stripped. Well.... i say Vitesse, it was actually a Herald 13/60 that someone had spent a fortune converting to Vitesse mkII spec in the early 90's. Lots of upgraded parts (engine, gearbox, drive, diff, front brakes etc..), and an engineers report to prove that it was all done ok

I've given chassis a 'basic' overhaul with a bit of a clean-up, rust kill and a lick of paint. I've replaced the main brake and fuel lines as the ones on there were too far gone and I've just got to put the carbs and radiator back on and sort the electrics out and it should hopefully be running again.

I picked up the full kit yesterday, BIG grin day!
The frame is already bolted in place, the floor is bonded in (sealant drying atm), steering frame pick-up point mildly fettled and I'm hopefully going to trial fit the petrol tank and then paint the frame tonight ready to start fitting the main body this week.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:09

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'm building a Sammio Spyder too!

I've started a build blog over at http://sammiospyder.blogspot.com/

I'm over near Reading and collect the kit around the first week of July.

Cheers,

Trevor
Old 25th May 2011, 00:35

captaincrash1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio delivery

I have just purchased my Herald donor, and it's currently waiting on my drive for me to clear my garage to get it inside. Once I get it in there I will be ordering my kit. I am hoping to order it next week, and having contacted Gary, we are currently looking at a 4-5 week lead time.
Something I mentioned to Gary when I e-mailed him was the possibility of me being able to offer a delivery service to anyone who may also be ordering their kit at the same time. I live in Durham, so will be travelling most of the country to collect my kit. If anyone would be interested I could hire a larger van and get more than one kit on board. I would estimate delivery would then be around £150-£200 depending how far out of my way I would have to go. Still not amazingly cheap, but quite a saving over the £350 I have been quoted on Shiply by several couriers.
Anyone interested can PM me, then obviously order your kit as normal from Gary at Sammio. I hope this will help someone, and make my journey a little bit more worthwhile.
Cheers
Alan
Old 26th May 2011, 17:11

Interesting topic just cropped with my build.
I stumbled across the fact that it became legal to have front seat, seat belts fitted to all cars from 1967 (ish) and seeing as my donor is a 1969 Vitesse, so it would seem that I'm going to have to fit seat belts!

I was toying with the idea anyway as i want to be able to take my sons out in it and i want them to be safe, but it seems my hand has been forced.

It's lucky that I've got a nice pair of retractable belts left over from my previous project, all I've got to do now is a bit of reading up on how some of the Lotus and Cobra boys fit theirs to give me ideas.
Old 26th May 2011, 22:05

PaulC is on a distinguished road

Toying with the idea of seatbelts? Seriously, why would you even think about not having them?
Old 27th May 2011, 08:23

My apologies, I've never been that good at making myself clear on this here interweb

I was previously planning on fitting harnesses (but thinking about/toying-with retractable seat belts as i have a pair in my attic and i'd be more comfortable with them and the boys using booster seats), but when i was reading around earlier in the week it read as though if the donor car originally had seat belts fitted then i "had" to fit seat belts as opposed to harnesses.

After further reading, it seems as though i jumped to conclusions and i can fit retractable belts OR harnesses.

BUT.... it is true that if my donor was pre-67 then i wouldn't "have" to fit either.

Does that make better sense?
Old 27th May 2011, 11:24

Default Sammio Seatbelts and other stuff

Hi Guys

Firstly, thanks Patrice for your ever useful pics and explanations.
Im nearing collection of my car (hopefully) from trimmers, and mechanics after some minor mods :-) 1500 twin carb engine, adjustable rally front and adjustable rear shocks (hope to eliminate some of the dreaded 'tuck in' and improve handling (Interested to know what Patrice has done on this as I believe he will be racing his car), new seats, roll hoop etc.. Yes, i know i should be doing all this stuff myself but very limited time and availability of a helpful/experienced car builder influenced my decision .
There will still be plenty to do when it gets here!
Uprated front ARB
Electric cut out (FIA type)
Sports alternator
Good allround service
Uprated cooling if required (will see how it goes with header tank etc and may think about an oil cooler later if required), due to style of front intake im pretty sure it wont be needed.
(eventual engine re build, want to enjoy it this summer first)
Uprated discs
New leads
Tidy up engine bay
Wheel allignment and setup
Bolt on Brace from top of roll hoop diagonal to passenger footwell chassis point (Maybe) for when im in car alone and driving 'enthusiastically'.
Etc.
Hard top...... only joking !

Has anyone fitted a harness yet, if so what mounting points did you you use?
Regarding seats, im rather tall for the car though do fit; to avoid looking like noddy and to go with the period race theme i may end up swapping out the existing (newly trimmed seats). Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions about low ( v low ) type seats that could be fitted on an angle straight through/to the floor? With spreader plates below? Any input would be useful and im sure many of you will have more experience than me.

As soon as the cars in my garage Ill get some pics on here for anyone thats interested, in the meantime im sure we'd all be interested in seeing some pics of your progress to date (anyone).

Good to see so much enthusiasm for this v interesting project and special type car.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:37

I'm really getting on well with stripping the donor now. Body off and chassis looks mostly good.

Loads of pics over at http://sammiospyder.blogspot.com/

Trevor.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:38

Hi soporsche,

Would it be possibly to see some pics of your new rear suspension?

Cheers,

Trevor.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:45

PaulC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
(Stuff)

Does that make better sense?
Much. With you now.
Old 30th May 2011, 19:18

Default Rear suspension

Hi Trevor

No pics yet im afraid as collection has been delayed slightly; the herald setup is obviously inherently flawed but not as bad as some people make it out to be. If the rear bushes are swapped out for poly bushes (if you are rebuilding), add uprated (stiffer) adjustable rear shocks and add a lowering block to the centre of the spring and possibly remove a couple of leafs... The remaining options would then be a swing spring kit (as per later triumphs) available from Canley or a Camber Compensator as the guys in the states and Triumphs own head of motorsports preferred.

Thats the rear but the the overll handling dynamics should include close attention to the front too... definitely add a spitfire thicker ARB and for me adjustable shocks with uprated springs. Part of the logic as the mods to the rear can alter the handling and induce understeer or oversteer, modding the front as suggested compensates this and also reduces overall body roll and hence 'diving' of front under braking and turning which lightens the rear and increases chances of tuck in when combined with a sharp change in direction.

OK, thats all the theory and initially im not fitting a rear later 'swing spring' or camber compensator... adjustable shocks etc are the current works. Im by no means a dynamics expert and many will disagree with elements of my statements above but some research and experience in a track spitfire lead me to the above.

Ive taken a look at the blog and things are coming on, ill be very interested to see your progress, i can see a Sammio run out happening in the near future .

Cheers

Stephen