Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th March 2017, 09:40

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I struggled to get the surround and grill to fit nicely. it rattles and shakes when opening or closing the bonnet or when driving.
Having the bonnet upside down on stands with the small bonnet removed meant I could stand inside the bonnet aperture and get great access.
I had the grill and surround fitted but I was now able to make some alloy brackets and glass them into place. I fitted some brackets that hold the spots and also the surround. The surround is now held by one self tapper at the top where it can't be seen and the 2 spotlight brackets. The alloy grill is also mounted to some alloy brackets and the whole thing is now nice and snug and secure.
The spots are the smaller BMW Mini type, they are stainless and sit in better (IMHO).
The surround in chrome Finnish I'm hoping to be the finishing piece, should be ready next week.

DNA use the chrome spraying method and very impressive it is. I was going to use Beemabuild to spray mine but he has not yet had time to set his equipment up.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 17th March 2017 at 16:47..
Old 26th March 2017, 11:43

Not a great deal of progress, I'm still waiting for my painter to have a free slot. He is stuck on an ice cream van! It has stripes and painted panels for the ice cream menus and is just taking ages.
While I had the body off for priming I attacked a couple of small but annoying jobs. First is the fuel pipe. I was hoping the original that I fitted would work as it had a straightish run and also a breather pipe but it still took ages to fill.
fuel6 by jaguartvr, on FlickrI think the problem may be the concertina effect that the pipe has causing a turbulence that slows the flow, so
pipe2 by jaguartvr, on FlickrThis is a straight marine fuel pipe, because the run is pretty straight it doesn't need to be flexible. The inside diameter of this pipe is 2 inches, the concertina pipe is about 2 inches in diameter at either end but the middle section of the pipe is less than 1 1/2 inches so hopefully this will cure the fueling problem. Pipe was from Ebay and much cheaper than the flexi pipe. 1/2 meter is all you need.

My other problem was the boot lock. I had made my own catch so that I could fit the boot handle lower so it didn't foul the boot lid when opening. It all worked ok but it didn't have a spring to hold it into place. I could just see me forgetting to lock it and it slipping open on the move.
I resorted to the same catch everyone else has used but a different boot handle, just a basic T shape that clears the lid, again a cheap £17 purchase from Ebay. As my boot floor is flat rather than sloping like everyone else's I bonded two studs to the rear bodywork and attached the lock directly too them. I can now remove the whole rear end in one go including the boot lock, much easier.
lock1 by jaguartvr, on FlickrIt looks wonky but it all pushes up level with the boot aperture rim. A nut on the inside of the lock allows you to position the lock precisely in the slot. You can also take the boot handle off without having to disturb anything else.

Should have my chromed grill aperture back next week. Should be £120. One interesting thing he said is that the silver nitrate chrome spraying has a tendency to go "blue" after exposure to UV light, so if anyone has this process done, make sure that the clear coat has a good UV absorbing properties.

Forgot to add, I bought a cheap sharks fin Ariel from Ebay

I cut away most of the plastic and it sticks next to the original ariel, small screw connects to the original ariel and it gives great reception.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Roof-R...QAAOSw4q9XT9OP

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 16:23..
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:15

Default Chrome Grill

Collected it this Friday, very shiny and chromey but not as good as I hoped for as the flatting marks are showing.
It was sanded down to 600 grit and then a wet & dry 2000 grit. Looking at it you would think I had finished it in 80 grit. There were also some hole that I filled and looked to be super smooth but are now showing. It doesn't help working on white GRP, it does tend to hide a lot of things.

I think that I will probably do another but get it painted first so I can see the finish and then get it plated. But it will do for now.
Still waiting to go into paint, have been promised that it should start sometime this week.
grillc1 by jaguartvr, on Flickr
grill badge by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 16:27..
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:25

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

When I did my apprenticeship way back when, we made all our test pieces in the worst quality mild steel but every piece had to be mirror finished, by hand . Huge amount of time to go through every grade of emery. After two or three days you could see your reflection in it.
Flatting down GRP is the same when you want a mirror finish at the end. Wet n dry used wet, through every grade down to 2000 and you should be done.
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:47
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Old car patina, suits the car
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:56

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Old car patina, suits the car
+1

Plus I think the car will get such a good initial reaction, that no one will notice the odd blemish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
...Still waiting to go into paint, have been promised that it should start sometime this week.
Exciting times, looking forward to seeing it done.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:02

Trouble is the closer you get to "ready to paint", the more blemishes appear. It's getting to the point that I'm tempted to use Dulux and a big F off roller.

I'm trying to do them as I find them but the little buggers keep multiplying! Starts to become soul destroying.
Old 27th April 2017, 07:10

Barber is on a distinguished road

Any signs of stress in the front wings after the flappy lugs fix? Are you still waiting for the paint job, or is there going to be a big reveal at one of the meets?
Old 27th April 2017, 08:47

I do wish you hadn't mentioned my flappy lugs on a public forum, it's my problem and I have to live with it

However the cars is showing no signs of cracking!
Although taxed and MoT'd I haven't been using it on the road so it hasn't been stressed but I don't think it will be a problem as the layup seems pretty thick and strong.

I have had the sills painted in the final colour, my preparation leaves much to be desired (F**king awful), on a brighter note the colour looks great. Hopefully it is going to my painter on Friday, famous last words.
I am hoping for a reveal at the BBQ if all goes well (and that bastard Jeff doen't bring his car with the flawless paint finish!), if it doesn't all go well I'm moving to another country. Hoping Smash will be there so I can park next to him (mean but I just can't help myself).

I think the problem with the bonnet needing slicing to bring it in is not the bonnet itself but the bonding paste used to fix inner and outer sections together, a bit too much paste and the wings are pushed out everso slightly, the slice just brings them back to the correctly moulded position so the bonnet shouldn't be under any extra strain. So far only one car has had problems in this area as far as I know.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 28th April 2017 at 09:14..
Old 27th April 2017, 09:11

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I do wish you hadn't mentioned my flappy lugs on a public forum, it's my problem and I have to live with it
Brings to mind a comment heard on a late night drinking session, alluded to ham flaps and John Wayne''s saddle bags.
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:54

Mentioned to my painter about the BBQ on the 10th and would it be ready in plenty of time and he started sniggering and sucking his teeth again!
I've just been round to visit him with my sharp pointy stick to give him a bit of enthusiasm
Good news is the primer is on ready for me to start rubbing down and it is looking much better. Gaps not a 100% but they are good enough that I can live with them. I am very pleased with the way the top of the door and the rear of the bonnet have turned out.
unnamed-51 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Am very pleased with the way the gapping is looking on the small bonnet.
unnamed-50 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 16:36..
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:39

Jag - Your car looks great.

What colour have you chosen, or is it a surprize?

Good luck with the sanding (you have my sympathies), Paul.
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:47

I would tell you.............. but I would have to kill you.
Hoping for the surprise reveal at the BBQ.
Old 26th May 2017, 18:25

At the painters today to remove the stuck hinge and help with the rubbing down.
Found the bloody painter woking on some bloody Fiat or similar, good job I had my sharp pointy stick for encouragement. I think the seats would have gone nicely in mine but he wouldn't let me near it with my socket set.
fer1 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Anyway it was dragged out of the way to concentate on the important car.......mine.
All the door shuts and the section under the bonnet all keyed and ready to be primed on Tuesday.

shuts3 by jaguartvr, on FlickrStill hoping to get it to the BBQ if all goes well

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 16:39..
Old 26th May 2017, 20:08

Jag - I did panic when I first saw that last photo.

Then I realised all the "missing" bits were unbolted, as opposed to not bonded on yet.

I really hope your paint job is complete in time for the BBQ.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:11

trev dunn is on a distinguished road

Jag. Its looking great and the gaps anyone would be pleased to live with, as you know I had problems with my vinyl wrapped chrome grill but now it's on with the main grill and the spots and badge in place the blemishes are not that noticeable plus your looking down on it, so try it on first you may be surprised. Looking forward to the finished car, we all knew you've put a lot of effort into it, I've been taking advantage of this great weather we've been having, it's amazing the reaction these cars get, one kid said he had just seen a Lambo but thought the Ferrari was better, just a pity I cant get down to the BBQ due to other commitments. Keep up the good work.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:48

Gaps will be down to me. The bonnet gaps are great and really tight. I should have done the same method with the boot lid but I'm afraid laziness crept in. Same with the front of the doors, the gaps aren't bad but could be better. Problem is you spend hours getting them as close as possible only to chip them when you open the door and you then have to start again. That's when I think "that'l do"
I know I'm going to regret my laziness but I really can't face doing them again. Trouble is you don't notice all the good bits, just the tiny bad bits.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:08

Default How not to badge as a Ferrari using Ferrari badges!

I'm not keen on badging as a Ferrari as it's not a Ferrari, hence changing the V5 to California. (I Know, I Know it's not a California either).
Anyway, one of the first parts that I bought was a genuine California glove box badge from the current California. I was going to mount it in the boot but it was too small, then I was going to mount it on the bonnet bulge just behind the opening but have finally settled on using it as a Grill badge.

Mounted on an alloy plate painted black, so Ferrari badged but not Ferrari badged if you use Irish logic!
grill badge by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 16:41..
Old 27th May 2017, 16:06

molleur is on a distinguished road

Splended!
Old 27th May 2017, 18:01

trev dunn is on a distinguished road

Looks great and more individual, all these inventive ideas that surface when we have to solve problems, it's true what they say Necessity is the Mother of Invention, I'm sure other builder will be thankful for problems solved on this forum. I notice that your donor car is Blue, so was mine so I did the engine bay and insides of the doors no engine out job though I hand painted the hard to get parts with a small brush, results look good when you peer into the bowls of the engine bay, but it is worth it in the end. When I ordered the paint for my car my mate said I might as well set up my own account with the body shop suppliers,they asked what the name of company was it so I told them it was called Bodge It and Sod Um which I thought was very apt.