Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st March 2016, 13:44

PTL is on a distinguished road
Default A352 rear suspension

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, forgive me but this post is going to ramble a bit . . .

Having finally packed the offspring of to university, sold the house and moved to somewhere both nicer and cheaper than before, I had a bit of money in my pocket. Fancying a little roadster I began looking at everything from MGs to Sylvas. The Tribute A352 really caught my attention since it's very, very pretty and doesn't need an IVA.
Problem solved, you might think. Well yes, but there is a problem. As a child of the 70s I started driving in the late 80s. My personal car history started with a showroom fresh Nova SR (OK, it seemed hot to me having learned in a 1 litre Metro) and ended with a somewhat modified Alfa 33. After that it was company cars and motorbikes. The company cars were all Focus' and Octavias until very recently.
As you will note, all my cars have been Front Wheel Drive.
And this is where the worries begin. I'm quite competent in a FWD car and enjoy a brisk drive. If it goes a bit pear shaped I know what to do in a FWD car.
Basically I'm nervous about going RWD.
Especially RWD with suspension as crude as is found on a Triumph Spitfire.
Even the GT6 Rotoflex set up offends me from an engineering point of view and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence from a drivers point of view either.
So, being the sort of person who thinks too much and does too little I started wondering if the rear suspension could be replaced with something else. A quick check of dimensions ruled out grafting the rear subframe off an MX5 to the triumph chassis so perhaps a 3 or 5 link set up using a midget axle could be grafted on? I discounted that as it would mean major surgery to create somewhere to anchor the links and the springs. I started looking for small, rear drive cars that might donate entire rear subframes but have you any idea just how narrow a Spitfire is compared to a modern car? Even the DeDion system on the Smart Car is too wide!
Anyway, by the time I'd got to this point a major crisis had blown up and I was, if not skint, no longer flush with cash so my plans were put on hold.
Then, one evening in march, whilst lying in the bath I suddenly remembered the old GTM coupe. If you're not familiar with it, it used a Mini front subframe at the rear to create a mid-engined sports car. A sort of British Leyland X1/9, if you like. I grabbed my phone, put it down again, dried my hands, grabbed my phone and started googling. Turns out that the front track of a Mini is similar to the rear track of a Spitfire. It's got a double wishbone set up and, thanks to Mr Cox and GTM, the parts exist to lock the steering and fit a handbrake. Ok, the subframe would need bracing and drive shafts to connect mini hubs to Spitfire diff might be tricky but it might just be possible to graft a mini front end to a Spitfire arse end creating a chassis with a suspension system that I might trust not to kill me.

Post Script: My current company car, due to a weird series of events involving bankrupt Dutch companies and worried engineers, is a Toyota HiLux.
I am learning to enjoy wet roundabouts.
The term "A dab of oppo" now means something to me in a practical sense.
Available from eBay