Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 26th November 2008, 18:56

sam_and_his_van is on a distinguished road
Default Hello, 1st post just to say hello and my plans

Hello all im Sam!

Iv been wanting a kit car for awhile now and wasnt sure if i could insure one at 21 but i seem to be able to pay less than any average car!

Iv got in touch with a chap who races Westfields and he has told me what to go for for my first kit car - a Mk Indy

I was interested in a Westfield or a Striker before untill told these are a good starter kit car to buy, I thought id join this forum as i know how helpfull they are after owning all my other cars and the problems and modds iv had/done to them.

Can anyone advice me on how to go about cheap insurance and good compaines? Iv so far been told and SureTerm which im waiting to hear back from.

Im in the progress of saving up a few grand to get myself a fully built or near fully built indy as i dont think i have enough knowledge to build one from scratch or time on my hands due to work.
Im planning on buying one in March - April 09 time as in Feb my 5 points will be clean from my licence and in April i'll be 22 with one years no claims.

* A few questions id like answered also are - Does the Mk Indy do any wet weather gear? (Hood)

* What engine should i be looking out for for a 1st & does a fireblade/bike engine put the insurance up alot?

Cheers, i look forward to replies

Last edited by sam_and_his_van; 26th November 2008 at 19:01..
Available from eBay
Old 1st December 2008, 16:48
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_and_his_van View Post
* A few questions id like answered also are - Does the Mk Indy do any wet weather gear? (Hood)
Probably. Call MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_and_his_van View Post
* What engine should i be looking out for for a 1st & does a fireblade/bike engine put the insurance up alot?
Depends how fast you want to go and what your insurance company think. Bike engines do cost more to insure.

I insure with MSM in Takely, Essex. Footman James are quite good too.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:13

sam_and_his_van is on a distinguished road

Nice one thanks for the reply, ill have to try both insurance companies then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Probably. Call MK.

Depends how fast you want to go and what your insurance company think. Bike engines do cost more to insure.

I insure with MSM in Takely, Essex. Footman James are quite good too.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:24
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum

If you can hang on until May 09 for your purchase it would be worthwhile as the Stoneleigh kit car show is on the bank holiday weekend and there is usually a big turnout of MK Indys, so lots of owners to seek advice from. ( and maybe one or two looking to sell )

Best bet re insurance is just to ring round them all with your details and see which is best, just like you would with any other car really. Tis very difficult to say which is best as everyones circumstances are different.

Wet weather gear shouldn't be a problem as it's only a locost 7 style kit after all. The only thing I would say is that a lot of owners seem to have opted for the windscreenless look in which case weather gear would be a problem, look hear

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/136/136picgallery.htm

not many with a full windscreen.

Cheers, John