Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th September 2011, 18:40

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default Tubular Wing Stays

As predicted by someone on here, one of my tubular wing stays gave up the ghost on Sunday, but it did not break completely thereby saving the fibreglass mudguard from damage. Spoke to Terry ( Marlin ) today to order the new solid wing stays, but have to wait a while for them to be made. Hoping the holes line up but also seriously thinking of Carbon fibre guards as per Patricks to make it less stressful on the stays. The manufacturer of Patricks carbon mudguards no longer make them anybody know of another source ?

Does anyone know if it is legal to drive around without mudguards ?

Thanks
Dennis

Last edited by denniswpearce; 7th September 2011 at 18:42.. Reason: dodgy grammar
Available from eBay
Old 7th September 2011, 19:51
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
Spoke to Terry ( Marlin ) today to order the new solid wing stays, but have to wait a while for them to be made.
Dennis
Hope you are prepared for a long one.....................
Old 7th September 2011, 20:29
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone know if it is legal to drive around without mudguards ?
I am pretty sure it's illegal although you sometimes see the hot-rod lads driving without them. Personally I would be worried about the safety aspect of small stones being kicked up by an un-covered wheel. Its bad enough when they are covered!

Robin
Old 7th September 2011, 23:26

woodsmith is on a distinguished road

I think the law requires that there should be no visible tyre tread to the side when seen from above so you will need something over the wheels.
Maybe something temporary like trailer mudguards would do for the time being.
Old 8th September 2011, 01:05
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Certainly IVA requires a large amount of the tyre to be covered...
Old 8th September 2011, 10:01
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I'd check with other suppliers like CBS, rally design etc see what else is available someone might still have the carbonmods stuff in stock.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:27
Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Certainly IVA requires a large amount of the tyre to be covered...
IVA states:
(quote)
The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards
The wheel guard must extend 30 degrees forward from the centre of the wheel
It must extend 50 degrees to the rear
It must cover the full width of the tyre
The rear of the guard must not terminate more than 150mm above the centre line.

I am just doing my wings/wheels and, am marginal on a couple of these. If I cannot easily resolve the issue I plan to put it through the test on the old gash rims and tyres, which are narrower and smaller diameter, and do just comply.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:19
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if it's legal or not - but when you consider that a lot of the bits and pieces on my car that where specifically put on to pass IVA have 'fallen off' - and the car sails through MOTs everytime, I don't think coverage of wheels etc is something that is activley checked.

Especially when you consider you can see much more / all of the tyres on a motorbike...
Old 8th September 2011, 13:16

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

And on jacked up 4X4 with wheels outside the body work, and boy racers in their Golf GTI/Nova/BMWs (sorry!) etc.

But you may attract the attention of Mr.Plod if you don't have any mudguards and then it will a construction and uses offence and who knows where that might lead.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:37

Thanks guys for all your help and advice.
If Marlin take an inordinate amount of time as suggested, then I think I will consult my local garage who looks after my average everyday cars to see what is legal. Because from previous posts the IVA requirement is only mandatory to get your kit car within their guide lines for manufacture, but most of you remove some of the stuff afterwards as it looks naff and tart it up to make it pleasable to your eye and it still passes subsequent MOT's with all that you have removed and modified. So surely I can forget IVA requirements and just find out what is road legal from an MOT station or give PC Plod a call.
Dennis
Old 9th September 2011, 23:52

Sorton is on a distinguished road

I think one needs to be careful. This is all to do with construction and use regulations and the IVA is a single car test based on the criteria that apply to all production vehicles.
We all know that changes are made following an IVA pass but I believe that, in exceptional circumstances, one could be prosecuted for making these changes. For example, if there was a serious injury which could be related in any way to alterations that had been made.
The MOT is an entirely different subject and is merely a safety check on the condition and function of the vehicle.
I suggest you proceed with care. I think the police will just refer you to the IVA people.
Old 11th September 2011, 16:05

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Following my earlier post I'd back up Soton's post.

A few minor things missing (like maybe some radius trim or a soft nut cover) are not going to make plod take notice. They probably don't know the fine detail of an IVA test.

Do something radical, like no front mudguards and they notice that. So if you are lucky then you will get done under constructions and uses.

Next up is they may force you to re-take IVA (£450).

Beyond that they have the right to demand at any time that you present the car to check you haven't modified it.

And real worst case everone owning a kits car will have to have it inspected because they think we could all be flouting the regulations.

So please think carefully by driving around without any mudguards on the front. The only vehicles that seem to be allowed to have totally uncovered front wheels are tractors.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:10

Ok guys, I hear what you say and thanks for the advice which I will take and not drive it without its mudguards. No wish to incur the wrath of the powers that be.

But, surely all you who have put your pride and joy through the IVA process and subsequently changed the compliant bits for more asthetically pleasing bits are you not in the same position as I would be if the men from the ministry or PC Plod check your cars out ??????

Just a thought !!!!

Dennis
Old 12th September 2011, 21:28
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok guys, I hear what you say and thanks for the advice which I will take and not drive it without its mudguards. No wish to incur the wrath of the powers that be.

But, surely all you who have put your pride and joy through the IVA process and subsequently changed the compliant bits for more asthetically pleasing bits are you not in the same position as I would be if the men from the ministry or PC Plod check your cars out ??????

Just a thought !!!!

Dennis
Dennis
I think it is a matter of degree. No wheel guards is very obvious, whereas a styling change to a bonnet catch, or missing covering over an edge adjudged to be sharp is far less obvious.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:29

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Just a thought !!!!

Dennis
I think ANY changes leave one vulnerable and if, heaven forbid, someone is injured because of the alteration then one could be in trouble. However, minor changes would probably go un-noticed.
The parallel for your production car where the insurance co. ask if you have made ANY alterations to the car. You can bet your life that if an unmentioned alteration became an issue in a claim they would not pay out.
Proceed with care!