Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:54

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road
Default Highway Code Changes from 29/01/2022

I have just discovered that the UK Highway Code is changing from next Saturday, which is something that hasn't been publicised very well.

The changes aren't explained too clearly online (see link below), but the most significant change I think I actually understand is in regards to rights of way at junctions.

As of next Saturday, anyone, be they on foot, on a pogo-stick, cycling, scootering, skateboarding, motorcycling, riding a horse, donkey, camel or unicorn, who intends to continue straight on where there is a junction to the left or right, now has priority over anyone wanting to turn into or out of that junction.

For example, if you are driving through a Town centre and want to turn left into a side road, if there are pedestrians walking on the pavement parallel to your vehicle who intend to cross the mouth of the side road you want to turn in to (from either side), you will have to stop to allow them to cross.

Failing to do so will be an offence, and running someone over who you haven't seen but who walks, runs, cycles or gallops into the road in front of you anyway will be a very bad offence. Prepare for complete gridlock in busy town centres where there are lots of pedestrians strolling along the pavements and taking it in turns to slowly cross the side roads.

The same goes for cyclists as they will legally be able to cycle up the inside of vehicles that are indicating left and turning into junctions, and the responsibility will lie with the vehicle driver to see them and let them proceed. Prepare for lots of cyclists who end up crushed under the back wheels of vans and HGV's because the drivers can't see the cyclist exercising their right to undertake them at junctions.

These changes are supposed to improve road safety, I would suggest they will do the opposite. As with the 'traffic calming' concrete chicanes that were introduced in Leicester, which actually increased pedestrian casualties but were said to have reduced accidents (it's not counted as an accident if someone can be blamed), I see this doing the same.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...e-highway-code
Available from eBay