Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th May 2020, 17:40

andysharrock is on a distinguished road
Default z3 wet carpets time to replace

I have had this car probably 6 months always been in the garage never been in the rain happen to hover some bits up today lifted the carpet and the sponge bloody soaked. Not just a bit if you squeeze it water runs out. I was going to try and dye them black now just thinking of ripping them out. Has anyone tried fitting there own carpets any recommendations for what or where to buy
Available from eBay
Old 16th May 2020, 18:40

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good evening Andy if at all possible try and remove the carpets without ruining them , dry them out , relay and cover with the carpet of your choice , the Z3 floor-pan is extremely awkward if it doesn`t have a set of the standard carpets on it , good luck Geoff .
Old 16th May 2020, 20:40

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Might be worth getting a black carpet set from another Z3. Most of them get soaked over time but they don't seem to rot. Should be cheap to buy from one of the private sellers on ebay.
Old 16th May 2020, 20:59

Hughandjen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
I have had this car probably 6 months always been in the garage never been in the rain happen to hover some bits up today lifted the carpet and the sponge bloody soaked. Not just a bit if you squeeze it water runs out. I was going to try and dye them black now just thinking of ripping them out. Has anyone tried fitting there own carpets any recommendations for what or where to buy
Mine were ringing wet also. It’s amazing that the electrics don’t all short out tbh. I cut mine out around the centre tunnel, dried it out, dyed it and refitting it. It is such a complicated shape it would be hard to replicate.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughandjen View Post
Mine were ringing wet also. It’s amazing that the electrics don’t all short out tbh. I cut mine out around the centre tunnel, dried it out, dyed it and refitting it. It is such a complicated shape it would be hard to replicate.
Hughandjen can you remember what dye you use, I tried some on the mat look great and wash out just by pouring water on it
Old 17th May 2020, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
Good evening Andy if at all possible try and remove the carpets without ruining them , dry them out , relay and cover with the carpet of your choice , the Z3 floor-pan is extremely awkward if it doesn`t have a set of the standard carpets on it , good luck Geoff .
Morning Geoff wish I had spotted this before the centre console is now bonded to the dash so it will damage a lot or or should I say cause a lot of work. first seats I changed in a z3 I use 3"bolts because the floor pan shape and padding. luckily I have got access to a very hot boiler house so they will be coming out one way or another. why do we do it to ourselves lol
Old 17th May 2020, 11:38

Hughandjen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
Hughandjen can you remember what dye you use, I tried some on the mat look great and wash out just by pouring water on it
I used this stuff. It covered my horrible brown carpets well. The only problem is it does leave a residue and I still get dye on my hands when I rub them on the carpet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C2A05F5-CB46-4498-B461-3466C15FB0A6.jpg (24.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 17th May 2020, 13:43

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon Andy from personal experience it is the thick foam which is attached under the carpet that is wet , in your situation you could try cutting the foam off and then allowing the carpets to dry naturally (i used this method) , this will take some time but if you believe removing them could cause more damage then it could be the answer , thanks Geoff .
Old 17th May 2020, 17:12

well that was hard work all carpets out and dripping happily in the boiler house. I have got some black dye on order so as soon as they are dry I can wet them again.IMG_20200517_124458.jpg

IMG_20200517_141810.jpg
unbelievable the amount of water running out of them atleast it left the car nice and clean