Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th May 2017, 06:19

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Steve Spitfire (as I know him).

Hi Scottie

Good plan! Why don't you give Steve a call? He dropped off a couple of bits (again!) for the Monaco last week on his way back from collecting a part completed (i.e. barely started in the 80s) Herald based kit, a Burlington Arrow, I think.

He often has complete four and six cylinder small chassis Triumph engines for sale and would no doubt take yours in PX. The engines in both my Marlin and the A352 came from him and were reasonably priced and have proved very reliable. He's up and down the M5 often so delivery wouldn't be a problem, you could do the swap at Strensham. 01822 614171.

Usual disclaimer.

Regards, Mick
Old 26th May 2017, 07:40

Lightbulb Speak of The Devil........................

Hi Scottie

1300 Spitfire Engine.

Regards, Mick
Old 26th May 2017, 09:03

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Scottie the triumph 1500 engine is basically a 1300 with a longer stroke (which is why they don't rev as freely) so if you change to a 1300 you still have a three bearing crank a vitesse 2000 would be better or a ford crossflow 1600 five bearing crank?
Old 26th May 2017, 16:59

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road
Default 1300

Thanks for the input Mick, I do appeciate it, but I think that Oxford may well be able to hepl me with this one!

Thanks for that Degsy! (what is written below goes into more detail to try to
explain why I chose the 1300 and am sticking to it)

I did not know that the 1300 also only had a three bearing crank, but what I DID know, was that the Spitfire 1300 engine loved to rev highly, and was quite happy to do so, and, in fact was so good at this, that in 1965 at Le Mans, three 1300 engined Spitfires came 1st, 2nd and 3rd in class, and would have come 4th but the car crashed before it finished!
And they did all this by revving the little engines at 9000 revs for 24 hours at over 100 mph!!

This is because, whether those 1300 engines had the lighter crank or the the heavier crank, the cranks were made from EN40B steel. BLMC upon introducing the “1500” engine in 1968, increased the stroke and downgraded the crank steel to EN16U an inferior steel, because it was cheaper.
Knowing that the steel was inferior BLMC increased the size of the crank to compensate, but left the bearings the same size.
This had the result of slowing down the revving, wearing the bearings out faster, and mainly introducing the dreaded “crank-flexing” which often destroyed engines when the oil broke down.

So whilst the 1300 will rev quickly and live long doing so, the 1500 will not due to the longer stroke, heavier crank, and effectively smaller bearings.

By all accounts, ALL 1500 Triumph engines were referred to in the trade as the “floppy-crank” engine.

So, that is the reason I am still sticking to my plan for a 1300 motor.

I do not wish to insult anyone who likes the 1500 motor, and, by all accounts there are several ways to increase the longevity of these engines, and apparently some people do actually race 1500 triumphs successfully, but for me, the easier route is to just use a 1300 engine having been burned twice by the 1500.
Old 26th May 2017, 18:15

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Scottie I couldn't agree more the 1300 is a much better engine I new most of what you said apart from the cheaper steel and what have I got in my car? you guessed it a 1500 doh!
Old 26th May 2017, 21:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Good luck with the engine swap.

Everyone - No more horror stories about the 1500 engine please.
Old 31st May 2017, 20:37

Default Wednesday

The thing I like about this site is that it seems to get results, I will explain:
A few days ago I made an appeal for a Triumph 1300 engine, and within about ten minutes, I was offered such an engine by Oxford 1360!
I mean come on, it doesn't get much better than that does it?

So today I popped down to the Oxford man-cave and for a few beers or so,
struck a deal for said engine.

At the same time, I was able to see in the flesh, the green monster!
It is more impressive in the flesh than it appears in the pictures, and will be an absolute cracker when completed.

Once I got the engine home, I removed the remaining two spark plugs and gave each cylinder a good shot of WD40 and left it to marinate.

Although I have developed a lot of skills over the years, engine re-builds is not one of them, so I will need to find a decent builder to work on the engine to get it into good shape.
So one more step in the right direction, I now have the engine.........

A pic of the green monster and its builder and one of the engine:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 1st June 2017, 06:38

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - It was good to see a photo of you and your mini van on Oxford's build thread.

Good luck with the replacement engine, cheers, Paul.
Old 1st June 2017, 09:00

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
The thing I like about this site is that it seems to get results, I will explain:
A few days ago I made an appeal for a Triumph 1300 engine, and within about ten minutes, I was offered such an engine by Oxford 1360!
I mean come on, it doesn't get much better than that does it?

So today I popped down to the Oxford man-cave and for a few beers or so,
struck a deal for said engine.

At the same time, I was able to see in the flesh, the green monster!
It is more impressive in the flesh than it appears in the pictures, and will be an absolute cracker when completed.

Once I got the engine home, I removed the remaining two spark plugs and gave each cylinder a good shot of WD40 and left it to marinate.

Although I have developed a lot of skills over the years, engine re-builds is not one of them, so I will need to find a decent builder to work on the engine to get it into good shape.
So one more step in the right direction, I now have the engine.........
My experience with engine rebuilding, I have done one and had a couple more done, is that by the time it is done the only thing left of the old engine is the block, head and reground crank.

It is easy to get carried away with the question "shall I keep the old pistons or replace them? After all they are on £20 each". Same for almost anything else in the engine. A quick rebuild suddenly becomes a grand.

You have been warned!
Old 1st June 2017, 12:13

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Agree with Landmann - Engine rebuilds are like the Stone Soup story. Beautiful soup made by boiling a stone. Just need to add seasoning, stock, meat, veg...

Thought about sticking something more modern that actually works?

Doesn't need to be all electronic gizmos but things have improved since it was introduced in 1967*...

* I know the engines origins are far older but that was the year it was enlarges to 1296cc I think
Old 1st June 2017, 16:19

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

He has a perfectly good oner in the back garden just begging to be used. Scottie could always buy MrToweds redundant bonnet bulge to make it fit!
Old 1st June 2017, 23:09

Thanks Paul, Oxford did say that you also had paid him a visit at one stage!

Landmannn, I do take your point and realise I may well get carried away!

WCA, I had considered your idea of a more modern engine but decided against it. If I had gone that route, I would have used a Rover 1.4 engine, as its all alloy and was at the time it was made, the most powerful naturally aspirated 1.4 engine in the world, producing 103 BHP, which is about the same as the Triumph straight six 2 litre, but of course being all alloy, was much lighter.

So why did I not go that route? because I would have had to change the gearbox, which in turn would mean I would have to re-arrage the complete interior of the car, possibly re-make the
centre console, which would be almost impossible as the seats are only 16 inches wide as it is, and space is at an absolute premium, etc etc.

So really, this is the easiest option, although still an enormous pain to have to do anyway.

Jag TVR that GT6 is actually in my FRONT garden!

I had considered using that engine at one point, but with no flip front, and the space restrictions that come with it, decided against it, Don't think there is enough room.

And the other point is have you seen the prices of GT6's lately?

That machine will be a future project, and they are fetching silly money at present, so I'm on to a winner with that one I think.
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:06

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I meant the Jag MK2 engine!
Old 24th June 2017, 22:29

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Scottie, sorry if it's a bit late (been busy but got back on this forum after spending a couple of days in Micky1mo's workshop) but I had a friend bring his Scimitar GTE to the workshop last week because it was overheating and pressurising the expansion tank after he had changed the temp sender and water pump. He'd introduced an airlock at the top of the engine and all I did was let it run up to temp with the cap off - it chucked some coolant out, I topped it up with the engine still running and it's back to normal.
Old 25th June 2017, 21:32

Ambitious_TAS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Thanks for the input fellah's, I do hope the head gasket has not blown, as it was replaced just a few miles before this overheating problem! And as I said earlier, it was an absolute bitch to work on, as I had not opted for the the flip front on the car, and had an awful tricky time trying to get to all the nuts and bolts in the constricted space I had to work in! To do it all again would be a real bummer.
Scottie,

Thanks to your excellent (and comprehensive!!) thread my interest in an A352 is piqued!! So begins the painstaking research work before committing.

You mentioned a flip-front. Is that an option? I haven't seen that anywhere in Tribute's pages or any other project so far stand fast the D-Type.

I look forward to scrutinising your blog for some time to come!!
Old 26th June 2017, 09:41

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious_TAS View Post
Scottie,

Thanks to your excellent (and comprehensive!!) thread my interest in an A352 is piqued!! So begins the painstaking research work before committing.

You mentioned a flip-front. Is that an option? I haven't seen that anywhere in Tribute's pages or any other project so far stand fast the D-Type.

I look forward to scrutinising your blog for some time to come!!
Hi A-TAS

I built an A352 and converted it to flip front. It was simple enough to do. I think the pictures and description are somewhere in this thread .

Regards, Mick
Old 26th June 2017, 09:46

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Tribute supplied me with an A352 body with a flip front for a customers build ...I assume they could do it again if asked ...but you would need to confirm that with them ...
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:18

Hello scimjim and Abitious_Tas!

Sorry for the delay in answering!

I will eventually get around to checking the engine scimjim, thanks for that.

And Am-Tas, yes they would do you a flip-front, as when I ordered my bodyshell Tribute asked me if I wanted a flip-front
and regretfully I said no!

Landmannnnn, how right you were/are!!!

The engine re-builder I have tasked with the rebuild of my 1300 engine rang me the other day to say that after stripping my motor and doing some pricing, he was sorry to inform me that it would cost ONE THOUSAND POUNDS PLUS VAT Sir............
Bloody hell;!!
By all accounts it needs a rebore, new pistons, crank regrind AND
a bloody camshaft!

Right at this moment, I have no XKSS which drives, so very reluctantly I have given him the go-ahead.

I ran this news past a mechanical mate of mine who thought a grand for rebuild was CHEAP!

Perhaps I'm too old-fashioned, but a grand to me is still a lot of readies, but as I said, as we speak, it should be being sorted out.
Watch this space...............

Last edited by Scottie22; 3rd July 2017 at 17:22..
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:34

Barber is on a distinguished road

My friend had a Jag mk1 kit, had the engine rebuilt last autumn. This spring it burst into flames and is a write off. Make sure your guy is solid.
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:45

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Scottie a grand IS cheap for a complete rebuild.
Last year i had the motor of my .29 model A Ford rebuild and it was 3500 euros,plus a gearbox rebuild what was a grand.This was at a specialized rebuilding company,price was included tax.
I would check if the guy is legit as this is very cheap.
Good luck,René