Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 18th September 2007, 15:34
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 3rd place - Castle Combe Special GTs class D

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested - I came 3rd on Saturday in the special GTs race in Castle Combe..

The interesting thing is that I crossed the line only 1 second behind the winner (if you watch the video you'll see how close it was on the last lap!)

So.. Sub £20k race car coming 3rd behind two very expensive Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradales (and comfortably beating a Ferrari 430 with brakes costing more than my car!)

http://www.purplematrix.co.uk/5exi/150907/r.wmv

See you all on Saturday..
Dylan

Race report:
Castle Combe Special Gts race - 15th September

Qualifying
Stunning blue skies, perfect day for racing..
We fitted some wider rear tires on my car (235 width - up from 195) but we also picked a different, harder compound.. (seemed like a good idea at the time!)
After the first two corners the reality set in - we messed up big time with out choice of tire. The car behaved worse than in the wet - bit like racing on gravel - totally uncontrollable - absolutely no grip at the rear!
I struggled to come within 20 seconds of my best time during last race - qualified comfortably slowest (with only Mark in the other Marlin behind me on the grid - who had to retire from qualifying thus ending up last on the grid).

Race
In a desperate attempt to save the day I managed to find some softer tires and have them fitted in time for the race.. Not really how I was hoping it would unfold as now I was entering a race on an unknown set of tires - no idea how the car would behave!

Anyway, the race started and I managed to overtake a good few cars off the line and get quite close to the front.
However, due to two Ferraris crashing into each other just off the line (and pretty much blocking the track) the race was red flagged on the first lap and we were re-positioned on the grid as per our qualifying times - e.g. me and Mark last! So all the good work was taken away from me :-(

On the restart of the race my engine decided to spice things up a little bit and started misfiring badly and was hardly willing to keep running at all!
I struggled to get off the line for the green flag formation lap - desperately trying to get the revs up and hopefully 'clear' the misfire..
Things got better, but not completely - not quite sure what the problem was but I reckon I only had about 85-90% of the usual power during the race.
Anyway.. On the second race start I had a good start and soon managed to assume 3rd position in our class!
I stayed 3rd for a while until the others caught up with me and slowly I dropped to 4th then to 5th place :-(
At that point I had little to lose so I 'went for it' and slowly reclaimed 4th place then 3rd place and even claimed 2nd place!
On the penultimate lap a Ferrari 360 pulled off a rather brave overtaking manoeuvre at about 130mph over Avon rise and managed to hold the place through Quarry corner.
After that point I was trying all the tricks in the book to go past him (e.g. driving about 3-5 feet behind him in hope of some useful slipstreaming, etc). On the last corner I managed to carry a fair bit more speed than him and was about to overtake him - but alas the chequered flag was not far enough for me to take 2nd place.

Even so, 3rd place is plenty to be proud about - especially given that it was achieved with an engine only giving out about 90% of the power due to misfire.. All credit to the Marlin crew - seems that it is possible for a sub £20k car to beat £160k+ Ferraris to a podium finish.
http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/racing_home.php
Available from eBay
Old 18th September 2007, 17:30
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

Nice one
Old 18th September 2007, 17:58
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Good effort. I'm going to come and watch on the 6th Oct' all being well.

While you're testing the race performance of the 5exi, Mark seems to be doing a good job of testing the structural integrity!

Any idea on the mis-fire?
Old 18th September 2007, 18:55
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Well done!
We'll all be badgering you for tips on Saturday
Old 18th September 2007, 19:57
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road

Well Done,

Was well worth the running around for the tyres nice slide to, but looked better from the pit wall.
Old 20th September 2007, 13:01
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Dylan,
Nice one well done.
So basically you drove around amongst 300hp competition with about 180hp!

So i reckon you did extremely well.

If you had MORE POWER and no reliability issues surely you would have won!

See my PM...

John
Old 20th September 2007, 15:02
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinturbo View Post
Dylan,
Nice one well done.
So basically you drove around amongst 300hp competition with about 180hp!

So i reckon you did extremely well.

If you had MORE POWER and no reliability issues surely you would have won!

See my PM...

John
Actually Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradales have 420BHP as standard ;-)