Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 19th October 2008, 05:10
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Default Trackday. My first of many...

Hi guys.

Just wanted to share my day. This was my first track day ever. So to be going round a track, even an airfield one, gave a great deal of satisfaction. Especially as I, with a couple others, had actually built the car. A feeling similar to the first drive and passing the SVA.

I went to Woodbridge airfield yesterday. Weather was great.

You may laugh, but I had never had a crash helmet on. And trying to fit my glasses took 10 minutes. There must be a knack to this!

Out to the sighting lap. Following a lead car to see the circuit. Thought pop the visor down. Started steaming up and struggled top get the thing back up! More of a comedy act than a sight seeing lap!

After pulling into paddock from sighting lap thought about the shocks. There adjustable. Lets wind them to max as thats what it's there for. Wound up the shocks to max and out on the track. Did a couple of laps to get tyres warm. Then went for it. Hit 120 MPH down the runway and the car did not flinch, feel unstable. Actually felt comfortable.

Bends it was more about me not the car why I was slow in the bends. Confidence (kept thinking of last years accident and spinning). Car was a bit to blame, was there was a lot of lurching in the bends. So springs a bit soft (225 at the front, Marlin supplied at the rear)???

Conclusion. Gained a great deal of confidence in the car. Had a few twiches in the bends as I put my foot down on the exits (but still part of the bend. Turbo kicking in etc. I can't wait until next year to do another.

I say next year, because I think I may has sustained a bit of bottom end damaged with some knocking appearing. Winter project and investigation to come.
Available from eBay
Old 19th October 2008, 10:26
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

John,

Sounds like you had a good time! Hope the engine probs are not too bad, but I suppose the upside is that you can pick them up for small change if it's terminal!!

I need to try and get on a track day but can't see my car passing any noise restrictions somehow!

I changed my fronts for 300lb ones after John commented on the change and finally put them on the car last week.....yup defo worth it!!
My rear springs are 450lb and seem spot on so these will be remaining
Old 19th October 2008, 17:22
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

It's good to hear people posting about putting their car on track, and having some fun!

I'd say to put your car on track for the first time, and the only thing to cause grief is the engine, which something you've not built, is good going! If the engine is broken, then with your "i've built the car now I have idle hands" issue, it's time to put a better engine in! VAG 1.8t on standalone - brilliant winter project!
Old 19th October 2008, 17:23
Enthusiast

Decided for now, to remove engine and strip it down. Rebuild it is my first choice at the minute. I am concidering different engine choices, scobby and VW turbo, but it's the expense of the drive shafts that are putting me off. Could go towards making a strong Rover and more powerful Rover engine.

We will see once it's stripped.
Old 19th October 2008, 19:05
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
I am concidering different engine choices, scobby and VW turbo, but it's the expense of the drive shafts that are putting me off.

John, mine were only £160 for 2! bespoke which I think is very cheap

I'd personally go for the vag engine as these are going into elises/exiges with over 400bhp now!! mental!
Old 19th October 2008, 20:03

KrazyKen is on a distinguished road

Hi Chaps

Fantastic News about getting in to track days, I find I can't sleep the night of the track day where the adreniline is still buzzing. As Steve McQueen famously said "It's almost as good as sex". In the latest Complete Kit Car - Nov 08 which came out on Thursday you can read all about my fundraising trip to Spa & the Ring as there is a 4 page article on page 76.

As you are now getting in to track days here are the settings I use on a dry track: -

Front
Springs 350lb, 110mm ride height, anti roll bar in middle (position 3), tyres 16psi hot running Toyo 888s 195/50x15.

Rear
Springs 300lbs, 150mm ride height, anti roll bar slightly hard (position 4), tyres 16 psi hot running Toyo 888s 195/50x15.

After around 5000 miles on track I find this the best dry set up, my car corners as though its on rails and I can pretty much keep up with anything in the bends. I am using Protech alloy dampers (rather than Gaz) with 13 clicks from hard to soft and always keep the rear 3 clicks harder than the front. I am now finding that I could do with stiffer springs for fast tracks to reduce the roll still further but that would compromise ride comfort on the road which is pretty stiff as it is. On the day I generally do around 200 miles on track and only adjust the tyre pressures and dampers so as not to change too much at once so that I know what works.

I can also recommend some decent driver training where you learn about trail braking and heel & toeing as this really does shave seconds off your lap time without the need for more power. I still can't get used to left foot braking though, it just feels all wrong.

I hope this helps chaps and I look forward to seeing John Dry and friends at Keevil and Colerne.

Cheers

Ken
Old 19th October 2008, 20:44
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Craig,
where did you get your driveshafts made? I could do with one making as one I've got is slightly too long and the original machinist is no longer around.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:02
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmorton View Post
Craig,
where did you get your driveshafts made? I could do with one making as one I've got is slightly too long and the original machinist is no longer around.
http://www.drivelink.com/index.htm

Craig
Old 20th October 2008, 04:54
Enthusiast

That's great info Ken. Thanks for that.

Took are for a ride round the estate (shocks still on max). Solid suspension! Engine still knackered but got to test how the hard setting affects the ride.

Looking more and more into the VW side of things. Just see if one comes up complete at a good price.

Also yesterday, a crack has appeared in the windscreen. If it don't rain, it pours.
Old 20th October 2008, 06:46
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

John

Great to hear about the the day, I hope I can hook up next time, and share some of the thoughts and ideas. I have to say that will most likely be the time I feel the 1600 is not enough.

Steve
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:56
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Craig. Rang them up today - quoted £ 100 to shorten one or £ 400 for a one off !
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmorton View Post
Thanks for the link Craig. Rang them up today - quoted £ 100 to shorten one or £ 400 for a one off !
Jesus!! their prices have gone up a few hundred % there!! I was quoted £160 for 2 at oem strength or £396 for 2 at twice oem strength!

I opted for oem as research told me that it's very rarely the shaft that goes but the inner cv on the honda's

It is strange as when Ric h got his done their they wanted the old shafts but when I drove down he said they made them from scratch and the old ones were of no use to him so I still have them

Craig
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:13
Enthusiast

Might be different people in the company saying different things.

Do you have a name Craig?
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:32
Enthusiast

Dave whitteker or something like that!

John d will hopefully come along and get his surname name right
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:18
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Dave Whitaker is the name.

The quality of the product, and service I received was top notch - delivered on time, to spec, and with CAD drawings.

This is impressively off topic!