Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 29th May 2006, 15:51
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Fuel system sorted! Two new fuel filters from Sytec (BTC spec - maybe a little over the top!!) one with 12mm unions and the other with 8mm. The pump sits in the middle on two short pipes. The hose clips are not too tight so that the pump can move a little.

Old 29th May 2006, 17:04
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Cool

Pretty cool fuel system!
Old 29th May 2006, 20:23
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
Pretty cool fuel system!
Thanks Should have just done it like this in the first place - I'm very pleased with the results now
Old 4th June 2006, 12:22
Enthusiast

It took 1 halfords referb kit (minus paint as there was not enough), 6 - 1200 grit wet and dry sheets (after filler primer), 2 cans of primer, 3 cans of Honda Nobel Silver and 2 cans of laquer + hours and hours and hours and hours of sanding!! But the alloys are finally ready to have some tyres added. A set of Bridgestone RE720 in 205/65/R15 are ready to go on these 15x7J rims.

Old 6th June 2006, 13:27
Enthusiast

Recieved the big bore throttle body for the M20 yesterday from e30zone.co.uk. I allows 17% more airflow into the inlet:

So I've added a new section to the site for tuning the M20
Old 11th June 2006, 21:10
Enthusiast

I had a visit from Paul with Millie Marlin this weekend, what a stunning car! I've put some photo's up. Paul was kind enough to take everyone in the family out for drive - thank you

I've just realised, all the mechanical stuff bar the rear shock towers is done. That and going through and tightening up all the bolts!

Old 11th June 2006, 22:04
Enthusiast

Patrick,
your car is taking shape nicely.

The refurb'd wheels look great..........

Peter
Old 18th June 2006, 22:19
Enthusiast

Thanks Peter!

The mechanical stuff is essentially done appart from tightening up all the bolts and maching sure everything is secured. Did some final tweaks over the weekend to the rear coil over installation and engine bay brackets.

The rear shock towers needed widening due to the installation of coil overs. With the modification the coil over has 1.5-2cm of sideways movement which should be more than enough to allow for movement under heavy cornering. If not it can always be widened further.

The AFM bracket required some modification to give the IVC (idle control valve) a little more space when the engine is running.

Over to Richard for an update on the wiring!
Old 18th June 2006, 22:28
Enthusiast

Rich is on a distinguished road

Made a start on the wiring today...

On reflection buying the "Marlin" loom may not have been the best option - we were told this is custom made for the car, which it's not. It is infact it's a generic Lucas loom, its nicely laid out but is missing several connections needed for the car. The other more worring thing is that it does not use any relays for turning things on as its laid out - not ideal when running high currently through the switches.

Using the BMW loom and striping out the bits that are not needed might be the better option. It may seem more daunting at first but the cables are still good in 15 - 20 year old BMW. In the end you get all the well thought out circuts laid out as BMW designed them with lots of built in protection for the car - you dont want things going up in smoke!

Easy wires to replace that were rotten on our loom - In the car audio world it's know as TB3 - the big three. Alternator to starter, started to battery and ground straps. These were not in the best of condition and will be replaced with new 4AWG cable - thicker that standard which allows it to handle more current with less voltage drop - not so important unless your running high current amplifiers! However new good earths can't hurt to get everything running nicely.

We will be using the Lucas loom as we have it and wire in the BMW fuse box, this will provide all of the required relays. We will also add extra cables as required to the loom. These modifications will hopefully improve the safety and reliability of the electric system over the standard Lucas loom.
Old 25th June 2006, 20:52
Enthusiast

Not much to see this weekend, which is probably good as my hosting seems to be down

Anyway! My brothers car needed a little attention so Thursday, Friday & Saturday we were busy with that! It's got new front lower wishbone bushes (polyflex), an H&R ARB set (didnt have a rear bar from the factory), new engine mounts - both of them had torn!!! not really BMW quality the cars only got 60k on the clock, new gear box mounts (may as well change those too), new diff oil and gearbox oil (Silkolene Syn 5 - the box is sooo smooth again now). All the work we did is thanks to having taken on building the Sportster. We can save ourselves a pile of mechanics bills for this sort of thing now!

On to the Sportster! Richard's done a lot of work on the wiring. The iginition works, the starter runs, battery light comes on, handbrake light works and the horns work! He's do an excellent job of combining the E30 fuse box with the lucas loom.

Also fitted the termostat adjuster. Found a nice little place to hide underneath the crank sensor / spark lead sensor wiring connectors - needed a bit of machining on the lathe but everything fits fine now
Old 27th June 2006, 21:42
Enthusiast

It's alive, nearly a year after it last ran its alive!!

http://www.msportster.co.uk/itsalive.mp4

You'll need Quicktime to play as its off my phone

Richard will post at somepoint and let you know about the wires. Issues at the moment are a small leak in the tank and the fuel hoses at the back not being quite tight enough. Need an exhaust on there though before we can run the engine for any length without going completely deaf!!
Old 28th June 2006, 09:11
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Yay! Well Done!

Hope that isn't the finished dash though...
Old 28th June 2006, 09:16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne
Yay! Well Done!

Hope that isn't the finished dash though...
yeah, final dash - wonder if its SVA compliant
Old 28th June 2006, 13:46
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Well done Patrick & Richard.
I bet there was a big grin on your face when it started up I certainly had one when mine first ran.
Dash does look a bit strange especially with all the gauges working backwards!
Old 28th June 2006, 13:52
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Well done Patrick & Richard.
I bet there was a big grin on your face when it started up I certainly had one when mine first ran.
Dash does look a bit strange especially with all the gauges working backwards!
Us ->

For some reason my phone flipped and mirror the image when I shifted it round there, once we've got an exhaust built (booked in on the 7th July) I'll shoot a proper video on the DV camera
Old 28th June 2006, 13:52
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Well done guys - I could hear it all the way up in Hertfordshire

BTW - have you decided what you are doing yet about your exhaust? Did you get a sensible price for a custom made one?

Cheers

Robin
Old 28th June 2006, 13:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan
Well done guys - I could hear it all the way up in Hertfordshire

BTW - have you decided what you are doing yet about your exhaust? Did you get a sensible price for a custom made one?

Cheers

Robin
Yup its going to Eclipse custom cars (A http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/ dealer) in Southampton on the 7th. They quoted around £500. I think it may be a bit more in the end once the side pipe is added. But it will be under £1000.

A friend of mine who just moved to overton called about a minute after we were done, first question was did ya hear it
Old 28th June 2006, 15:54
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Well done you lads,must be a good feeling. Didnt hear it down here in somerset, the wind must have been blowing the wrong way! Hopefully approaching that stage myself now but just been far too busy to do anything to car recently.

Alfie
Old 28th June 2006, 16:54
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Yeah, well done guys, congratulations for getting this far.
Better book the old SVA soon!!

My engine hasn't run for over two years now, so i am looking forward to this moment.
It should be a in a couple of weeks time, but major house re-decorating project slowing things down on the car at the moment.

BTW are you going for the Marlin carbon fibre dash?
Europaspares do some stick on carbon fibre stuff 2mm thick. Any thoughts or ideas anyone?

regards

Peter
Old 28th June 2006, 19:39
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
Yeah, well done guys, congratulations for getting this far.
Better book the old SVA soon!!

My engine hasn't run for over two years now, so i am looking forward to this moment.
It should be a in a couple of weeks time, but major house re-decorating project slowing things down on the car at the moment.

BTW are you going for the Marlin carbon fibre dash?
Europaspares do some stick on carbon fibre stuff 2mm thick. Any thoughts or ideas anyone?

regards

Peter

Thanks Nah were going for a ali dash covered in vinyl is the plan. We want to make something a bit different but it depends if we can pull it off!

Here's some more piccys of the shiny cardboard dash Made a few additions today

and a few wires: