Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 6th April 2015, 21:52

MrTin is on a distinguished road
Default Springs

Where do you guys get your different rate springs from?
None on ebay. I'm assuming I have standard Spitfire springs on my Arrow as that's what came with all the bits I have.
Cheers,
Martin
Available from eBay
Old 7th April 2015, 06:55

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

When I was building my Marlin Roadster with Triumph front suspension I spoke with three spring suppliers who were very happy to create bespoke springs for me, A range of wire sizes, diameters and lengths. The cost was, I thought pretty reasonable too, from memory form £80 to about £115 for a pair, with a very quick turn around, about 3 days.

http://springcoil.co.uk

http://www.coilsprings.co.uk

I can't find the third link but if you search Google for "car coil springs", you may find others.

As it happened I didn't use either company but they seemed very helpful.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:40

Thanks for that, Ed. I now have a few places to try if I need them, although it seems that Spitfire Mk 4 had 150 lb. springs anyway, which is what Mister Towed recommends, although he has a 6 in his car.
I was recommended also to Faulkner Springs last night, who have a very easy to use website.
http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/

Cheers,
Martin
Old 7th April 2015, 17:41

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Martin, I have 150lb Mk 1 Spitfire springs on the front of mine and I've cut them down by about one and a half coils.

They're far better than the original Vitesse 220lb springs I started with, but are perhaps a tiny bit soft for the six they're carrying. I haven't actually bottomed them out in about 2,000 miles of normal driving, but I've also not really pushed them that hard.

I have a pair of Spitfire mk iv onwards 180lb springs that I'll probably cut down and fit when I change the front wheel bearings before the next MOT, just to see if they're the perfect compromise.

Oh, and a few people have baulked at me cutting the ends off the road springs, but when I first presented my finished Spyder to my (friendly) MOT tester he asked me how I'd lowered the front.

When I told him, he asked me '...so, what's the difference between a cut spring and a broken spring?' I replied that a cut spring is a part that has been deliberately modified, while a broken spring is a component that's failed in use.

He was happy with that answer and my car got its MOT.

Purpose made springs rated at about 175lbs would be the Rolls Royce solution though, sniff.
Old 7th April 2015, 17:52

Wouldn't cutting them down make them stiffer, though?
I'm wondering if I should go for a lower spring rate as I'm only putting the Spitfire engine in, which is obviously lighter.
Faulkner Springs do a 140lb spring of 10 1/2" open length (compared with Triumph's 12.2") for 25 quid, which seems fair to me. Saves me cutting a spring!
What did you do on the rear, in the end? I know you said you had a lowering block, but then took it out. Did you take any leaves out? If so which ones?

Cheers,
Martin
Old 7th April 2015, 21:55

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTin View Post
Wouldn't cutting them down make them stiffer, though?
I'm wondering if I should go for a lower spring rate as I'm only putting the Spitfire engine in, which is obviously lighter.
Faulkner Springs do a 140lb spring of 10 1/2" open length (compared with Triumph's 12.2") for 25 quid, which seems fair to me. Saves me cutting a spring!
What did you do on the rear, in the end? I know you said you had a lowering block, but then took it out. Did you take any leaves out? If so which ones?

Cheers,
Martin
The Faulkner springs sound to be just about right for a spitfire engine imho, and yes, shortening the originals does raise the spring rate, but I have a cast iron six for them to carry about so I don't want them to be too soft.

At the back I ended up removing all the loose leaves at the top of the stack plus one leaf from the next stack down (the ones that are usually clamped together). With that setup bolted straight down onto the diff (with no lowering block) I found the ride height and ride quality to be spot on for my car. The traction and handling also benefited as the rear tyres stay in contact with the road instead of hopping about all over the place. I'd recommend putting the studs into the diff with a bit of Loctite on the threads and secure the spring with new nyloc stiffnuts as it's likely to work itself loose otherwise.
Old 8th April 2015, 10:16

Thanks for the info on the rear, David. Gives me a good starting point.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 15th April 2015, 20:46

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I had issues with cut down springs with my Sammio MOT, so for the Miglia I went for shorter ones right from the outset.

Here's a bit from my Miglia build that may be of use/interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Additionally to that and with the help of the nice chaps at Merlin Motorsport and the Triumph Owners Club forum, I've been doing a bit of research into the Vitesse Suspension as I'm not happy with how mine is sitting at the front and my local MOT men don't like chopped springs!

Here's an interesting read (with embedded charts) for anyone looking at altering their front suspension that shows you what std springs were fitted and advise for after-market spring rates:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/f...?m-1294420747/

That shows us is the front spring rates and that the OEM ones are 2 3/4" internal diameter.

Now interestingly.... if you buy the height adjustable GAZ shocks from mssr's Rimmer, those were custom made for Rimmers with a 2 3/4" spring seat so you could fit the std springs!
I know this as the nice man at Merlin Motorsports rang them and asked for me

But... most after-market lowering springs, including the ones i'd bought previously specifically for the Vitesse (although i can't remember where from) are 2 1/2" Internal Diameter!

So, If you alter the spring seats down to 2 1/2" (not too hard i've found!), or buy some 2 1/2" spring seats for your shocks then suddenly the world is your lobster!!

And if you talk to the nice man at Merlin, you can opt for just about any length and rate of 2 1/2" spring that you'd ever want and for not a lot of money at all!!

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...ilover-springs

After my reading and measuring i have now ordered some 2 1/2" x 8" x 325lbs springs and we shall see what we shall see
And I can confirm from my experiences of driving it today, they're lovely