Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 25th December 2013, 20:32

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Where to post about my Berli?

Hi guys, I am not sure where to post questions about my Marlin Berlinetta restoration, this section seems closest from the choices available.

The car hasn't run since 1992, I have stripped it right to the bare chassis, repaired and restored worn suspension mounts etc. The chassis is now repainted and I have started re-assembling to a floorpan and rolling chassis stage.

I have two engines, one an SD1, the other a P5, The SD1 cam is badly worn and the crank is scored but the P5 has a good crank and cam, I have most of the parts to build a half decent engine. I also have two BW 65 gearboxes of unknown condition and a torque converter, my budget won't extend to rebuilding either so if they both fail I may have to look round for a manual box, unless I can find a decent alternate auto one. I do like auto gearboxes.

It was originally built from a Cortina donor, not sure exactly what Mk but has had a Rover V8 engine and BW65 auto box fitted since the original build.

Is there any way to identify the donor car Mark# from the front suspension, steering or back axle/suspension? The back axle still has it's tag but I can't find any identifiers anywhere else. I guess it doesn't matter that much, I am just interested really.

I have found several serious issues with the changes made during the V8 installation and am working my way through them one by one.

I will need help with some aspects of the build, trying to figure the best way to overcome snags.

I have been studying photographs of 1930 Alfa Romeo 6c cars, I understand the Marlin cars are broadly based on that model. I am aiming to incorporate some features from the Alfa design which I particularly like but may not have been incorporated by Marlin due to production cost.

I am planning to make my own bonnet and scuttle, this is one area which I feel the Marlin design of flat surfaces with a sharp ridge down the bonnet spoils the lines of the car. I plan to create a curved profile for the scuttle and my own folding windscreen frame.

I just love the smilies here!

Robert
Available from eBay
Old 25th December 2013, 21:02
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Hi Robert you're very welcome here!

Not sure I'll be much help with parts identification from those donor cars! Can you find any part numbers on them to plug into Google?

I look forward to reading you're updates
Old 25th December 2013, 21:19

Thanks Patrick, I seem at home already!

Not got my head around posting images yet but I will, eventually...

Robert
Old 25th December 2013, 22:20

scott h is on a distinguished road

Hi Robert, I think we may have met online before. I am currently restoring a Sierra based Berlinetta, I have it stripped to the bare chassis and plan to get it sandblasted and galvanized. I have been thinking about posting my story on this forum but was not sure where it fitted in. Also I was not sure how to post pics, could someone tell me the procedure? Look forward to following your restoration, Scott.
Old 26th December 2013, 09:56

Hi Scott, yes we know each other, you kindly sent me some very useful and interesting photographs of your chassis.

Unless our host creates a dedicated section for us (unlikely), I think we have found our niche, perhaps our host might add "Berlinetta" to the list of cars covered in the title of this section, in a similar manner to the "Sevenesque" collection of makes. That could also perhaps include Roadsters? Of which there are many.

The other two sections which seemed possible are the Italian based cars, which the Marlin is, 1930 Alfa Romeo, or the historic section but we are among Marlin minded friends here so I think this is a nice place to be.

As for photographs, I am about to experiment, Dropbox would be handy if I can find a way of using it, otherwise I may use some of my webspace to install a simple album as a place to store any photographs. I have tried to add a photograph to this thread but I failed repeatedly so I need to try another route.

I don't know why but almost all forum software seem to treat photographs as an afterthought, the way I see it photographs should be seamless.

Robert
Old 26th December 2013, 10:50

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Almost all forums nowadays limit uploads (because it takes up their space) - photobucket and similar are usually supported (and free)

Below the "reply to thread" box (advanced, not quick reply) is a section called "additional options" - under "attach files" you'll find it's very simple to add photos.

HTH
Old 26th December 2013, 10:54
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Posting Photos

Strange how life goes round in circles: posting photos was my problem with MAKC in my early days, and Patrick, who was nearing the end of his build, put me in the right direction:

- have a look at part of this thread (posts 22-28) where he explained to me what is required.

http://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/sh...?t=1947&page=2

What we all seem to have failed to appreciate is that you have to host the photos on a web site before they can be uploaded tothis site.
I use flickr as it comes free with BT broadband, but Patrick has identified a couple of other free sites if you want a different site.

Getting the images to the right size will then be you next item to play with....... good luck.

PS - you'll find this site a lot more builder orientated than the MOC site: and far less political!
Old 26th December 2013, 11:01

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Photobucket (or other external host) pictures don't need re-sizing.

bitmap, JPEG etc straight from your computer do need to be resized (due to the forum limits as mentioned) - if I'm on a windows PC I use the MSPaint resize function. The permitted max size is shown further down in the "manage attachments" box.
Old 26th December 2013, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Strange how life goes round in circles: posting photos was my problem with MAKC in my early days, and Patrick, who was nearing the end of his build, put me in the right direction:

- have a look at part of this thread (posts 22-28) where he explained to me what is required.

http://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/sh...?t=1947&page=2

What we all seem to not understood/expected is that you have to host the photos on a web site before they can be uploaded tothis site.
I use flickr as it comes free with BT broadband, but Patrick has identified a couple of other free sites if you want a different site.

Getting the images to the right size will then be you next item to play with....... good luck.

PS - you'll find this site a lot more builder orientated than the MOC site: and far less political!
Thanks Mike, I am used to uploading my images directly from my Mac to a forum page. It appears that here if you go for the built in image option all that appears in the post is a link which ten opens the image in a separate window. I tried that with my first post trying to include a photograph of the Berli as collected. I tried 3 times and lost the post completely at one stage

I realise that all forums have their own idiosyncrasies, I will get there one way or another but I consider myself reasonably skilled with computers and I am not finding it easy. Having to first upload any images to a third party host seems a distraction and a messy way to achieve a simple objective. I am currently playing with my DropBox...

As for the MOC site, least said soonest mended I think!

Robert

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 26th December 2013 at 11:33..
Old 26th December 2013, 11:37
Enthusiast

Default Posting Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
Almost all forums nowadays limit uploads (because it takes up their space) - photobucket and similar are usually supported (and free)

Below the "reply to thread" box (advanced, not quick reply) is a section called "additional options" - under "attach files" you'll find it's very simple to add photos.

HTH
Hi

Just trying your suggested way of adding a photo direct from my computer - Black Red 32 Ford? But it only added a link below? Are you suggesting you can embed a phot like below, using your method?

The only way I have found of embedding a photo on this post is to copy it from a URL image - and add it via the image icon (mountain range + sun)) like this - (its a poor quality photo that I picked):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackRed 32 Ford.jpg (49.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 26th December 2013, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
Photobucket (or other external host) pictures don't need re-sizing.

bitmap, JPEG etc straight from your computer do need to be resized (due to the forum limits as mentioned) - if I'm on a windows PC I use the MSPaint resize function. The permitted max size is shown further down in the "manage attachments" box.
Thanks for the info, I will get a workable system, I just need to understand how I can achieve it without spending more time processing images and uploading them than working on the car.

I have plenty image processing software on the Mac, I just like a simple life! LOL

Robert
Old 26th December 2013, 11:52

Default Testing...

This might be a photograph of my Berlinetta when I collected it in July...

Mmmmm needs further work!

Robert
Old 26th December 2013, 12:29

Default Another Test

This should be a photograph of my Berlinetta hosted on my own webspace...

Fingers crossed!

Robert

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 27th December 2013 at 11:07..
Old 26th December 2013, 12:30

Default Success!!!

Yea! Now to streamline the process.

Robert
Old 26th December 2013, 13:26

Default Testing...

Still working?

Uploaded by FTP client 'Fetch' rather than using the 'C' Panel.

OK, so far so good... now to automate the process.

Robert

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 27th December 2013 at 11:08..
Old 26th December 2013, 14:29
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Hi Chaps, I've updated this section to reflect the Berlinetta and Roadster cars. It is only natural that they should all be grouped together as they are an evolution of the same vintage theme.

Regarding photos, yes you will need to host them somewhere first such as flickr etc. Most of these hosting sites then provide a URL link to include in forum posts.

Most forum software operates in this way, it is certainly something we will look at when we upgrade Madabout as I know it seems a bit convoluted.

Cheers, John
Old 26th December 2013, 15:09

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you John, much appreciated.

As for the photographs, I guess I have had a sheltered life, but that's why I use Mac's, I would much rather be in the garage working on the car!!!

I have created a mirror FTP link to one of my domains, I am expecting when I place an image in a linked local folder it will be automatically be uploaded to my webspace. All I have to do then is copy it's url to the image link in a post and it's done, I hope!

This is the dash, complete with mouse nest in the passenger footwell!

Robert

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 27th December 2013 at 11:09..
Old 27th December 2013, 08:12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed View Post
Thank you John, much appreciated.

As for the photographs, I guess I have had a sheltered life, but that's why I use Mac's, I would much rather be in the garage working on the car!!!

I have created a mirror FTP link to one of my domains, I am expecting when I place an image in a linked local folder it will be automatically be uploaded to my webspace. All I have to do then is copy it's url to the image link in a post and it's done, I hope!

This is the dash, complete with mouse nest in the passenger footwell!

Robert
Hi Robert

You may be seeing the photos on your Mac but they are not appearing here on my PC. All I seee is a small photo icon.

Mike
Old 27th December 2013, 08:26

Default Photo's

Thanks for the feedback Mike, I will check that out, does clicking on the small images produce larger ones or is that it.

The image in the quote you posted has come out full size for me on my desktop but I have just looked on my laptop and it just shows a small blue bordered square with a ?.

I am guessing my desktop is seeing the images I posted. Mmmmm More work needed. It will be the URL I have used, obviously wrong format.

Thanks again for the Feed Back.
Old 27th December 2013, 09:18

Viatron is on a distinguished road

When I click on this thread I am getting prompted for credentials for seapy.me.uk so guessing the pics are hosted in a location that requires authentication
HTH

Mac