Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th December 2013, 09:25

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that, I may have to put my images with one of the hosting sites for now. Goes against the grain when I am paying for hosting my webspace then having to go out for services

I am trying to install a proper gallery in my webspace but not easy getting support over the holiday period.
Old 27th December 2013, 13:16

Default Got there at last!

I have finally cracked it.

I am hosting my photographs on Flicker for now. The way of extracting the appropriate URL to paste in the [img] link is well hidden and messy but I have now established how to do it.

Just have to replace the links in my other posts.

Robert
Old 27th December 2013, 20:51

Default Scott

I am getting notifications you have posted two attempts of a photo. You haven't got the URL right, I will do a quick tutorial on how to do it on Flicker but it will take me a few minutes, so bear with me.

Robert
Old 27th December 2013, 21:15

Default How to extract a URL Link from Flicker

Select an image you want to upload, click on it and it should come up on it's own with some icons at the bottom click on the one with a rectangle with an arrow coming out of it. Select the one I have in this image by clicking on it:

Copy the link and then paste it into a text edit application, select the actual URL, which is in "quotes" starts with http and ends with .jpg, like this example:

I have enlarged the actual URL for clarity. Copy the actual URL and past THAT in the image box on the forum here.

Hope that makes it easier for you. I have missed out a bit of detail but I think you can work that out yourself, the key is extracting the actual URL.
Old 27th December 2013, 21:30
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Strange how we find different ways of achieving the same thing.
Try this - its seems easier to me.........

Select your photo in flickr
Right click on it - a box opens up showing you the sizes avaialable.

Left click 0n 500x333 (or whatever size you want to copy into MAKC)

A photo appears in the size you have chosen
Right click - a box opens up

Left click Copy URL

Use this to paste into the MAKC photo import icon.

This way you can import photos knowing what size they will be.
Old 27th December 2013, 21:43

Tried that Mike, didn't work (for me), I am using Safari on the Mac and it may well be that it's a Flash thing, Safari and Flash don't play well together.

If you check out the Fricker help screens they give a similar method to the one I used but where their method varies is that the URL it produces has too much junk with it and doesn't work, that is why I edited the URL, to give the actual pure URL of the image without all the garbage.

I do have Firefox which I sometimes use as a last resort but I can't stand the interface, much prefer the Safari way even though occasionally there are issues, which there are with all software.

I know my method is convoluted but it does work!

As soon a as I can I will get my own gallery live then I can manage things better.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 27th December 2013 at 21:47..
Old 27th December 2013, 22:10
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to MAKC forum.

I use Flickr to host my pictures which means you also reach a different audience.

I use the Flickr 'share this photo' functionality which works like this....

It means viewers of the forum can click on the picture to go to your Flickr website.(try it by clicking on this picture)

The embedded link above looks like this....
[ url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/151457484][img]http://farm1.staticflickr.com/48/151457484_7532cb7d67.jpg[/img ][/u rl]

(I've added some spaces to break the link and make it readable)

You just copy and paste the link from Flickr into your forum post.
....peter
Old 27th December 2013, 22:30

Thanks for the welcome Peter, I'm a contrary old bugger, I resist all attempts to make me sociable! LOL And I like a little fun...

All I want to do is get my photo's here to illustrate my posts. Have zero interest in Flicker or any of those type of websites. The sooner I can get my own gallery the better and I will re-host the images I have posted there. Glad we can edit posts which have been replied to, on many forums that isn't possible.

I tried using the method you describe at first and others, none of them worked until I extracted the actual URL as described above It has taken me much of the day to get there, I started just after six this morning because it was vexing me.

Robert
Old 28th December 2013, 08:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

8 Value Ed - Hi Robert, I also use a Mac for my own build thread updates in the Sammio forum.

Unfortunately, I don't have my own website, so I've put my photos on PhotoBucket & Google+.

However, my Mac tips are as follows (apologies if you've cracked this now):

Hover the mouse pointer/arrow over any photo that is hosted on the web.

Hold down the "ctrl" key and click the mouse.

Select/Click on "Copy Image Address".

Then switch to "TextEdit".

Select "Edit".

Select "Paste and match style".

The photo URL should then be sitting there ready to add the img tags before and after.

Personally I prepare my posts in TextEdit and add the forum codes I need before copying and pasting into the "Reply" box on here.

This allows me to quickly copy & paste the img tags to multiple photo URLs.

( Note: The maximum number of photos/smilies you can use in a single post is 20. )

You can use the "Preview" option to check everything looks OK before posting.

It also means that you will not lose a post that has taken you a while to prepare.

Hope this both makes sense and helps a bit, cheers, Paul.

PS
Using the above technique I could copy the photo peterux posted in his reply above and get this URL code...

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/48/151...7532cb7d67.jpg

Note: Forum automatically turns the URL into a link, but you get the idea.
Old 28th December 2013, 10:04

Thank you very much Paul, that is a most helpful, well described procedure.

I lost at least three posts while trying in the early stages. On one forum I used to use the 'timeout was about 15 minutes before it locked you out so I got into the habit of preparing all my posts in Text Edit, generally I prefer to create the post in the forum but I may revert here, I can see the sense, especially for including images.

I have been using Macs since 1988 but one gets set in one's own ways, there are usually better ways of accomplishing things if you are prepared to listen! I did get the result but by going via Belfast to get to London!!!

I am completely new to using off site image hosting so this is all an adventure for me. I have three domains I can use for image storage, so I have plenty of webspace available, it just isn't geared up for this yet. I resent having to use a site like Flicker with the attendant complications. Much prefer to use my own webspace if I can.

I can see I am going to enjoy my time here.

Robert
Old 30th December 2013, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
8 Value Ed - Hi Robert, I also use a Mac for my own build thread updates in the Sammio forum.

Hope this both makes sense and helps a bit, cheers, Paul.

PS
Using the above technique I could copy the photo peterux posted in his reply above and get this URL code...

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/48/151...7532cb7d67.jpg

Note: Forum automatically turns the URL into a link, but you get the idea.
Paul, I am a bit wiser now, it seems part of my problems were due to me being a new member of Flicker. It seems to take a few days for a new account to be fully 'live'. Things are working better now and pasting links seems to be more 'as expected'. When I followed your method only partial links were pasted, but now the links seem to be the full URL.

However I have also, thanks to a good friend who uses Flicker a lot and is also an avid Mac user, http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/sets/ found another method which he uses which he tells me it the 'correct' method.

Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 08.33.40 by robert, on Flickr

Copy, then paste into the post.

Using this method you don't need to use the image tags provided in the forum and it provides a link back to my gallery on Flicker, as required by Flickers T&C's.

So it seems there are many ways of skinning this particular cat and patience is also required. That isn't one of my top virtues.

Robert

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 30th December 2013 at 12:34..
Old 31st December 2013, 18:02

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Ditto I got the same
Old 4th January 2014, 18:55

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

My phone synchs up the pictures I take with Google Picasa.

I click on the little picture I want to look at and it is displayed bigger.

I right click and select "Copy image URL"

I type [ IMG ] (without spaces) on there then paste the URL and finish off with [/ IMG] (without the space) and everything works!