Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 31st August 2010, 07:50

Spannerman is on a distinguished road
Default Cabrio kit on Ebay

I was intending to bid on this item but the vendor informs me that there is no paperwork available. Can anyone with more experience tell me how much of a problem this is likely to be and would this inevitably lead to a Q plate?
Available from eBay
Old 31st August 2010, 08:01
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi
If you haven't got the V5 from the donor car, you will have a very tough job indeed getting an age-related plate.
I managed it eventually, but it needed a letter from FAB confirming they had dismantled the donor and supplied the parts to Marlin and a letter from Marlin confirming that they had supplied me with these parts on a specific date. Not to mention numerous phone calls, letters and visits to the local DVLA office....
Hope this helps
Tim
Old 31st August 2010, 12:24
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerman View Post
I was intending to bid on this item but the vendor informs me that there is no paperwork available. Can anyone with more experience tell me how much of a problem this is likely to be and would this inevitably lead to a Q plate?
David

Tim is right that you will need the V5 from 'a' donor. This can be from any Sierra if you choose to install a BMW engine and gearbox. Although you will be using Ford running gear, if you use a BMW engine and gearbox, none of the other parts is donor specific ie it could have come off any Ford Sierra. Perversely, if you wanted to retain the Ford Engine and gearbox you would have a problem as it can be traced back to a specific car by its engine number, and then you would need the original V5.
I have a spare V5 you are welcome to which would put you on a J plate. The last Sierra was on a K plate I believe, and there are dealers who will sell you one of these for £30 if you prefer. Granada/Scorpios ran to an R plate, and again V5s are available for these.

Mike (South Lincs)
Old 31st August 2010, 12:51

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Just another thought. Presumably, if the V5 is still active (that is, the car is still registered or on a SORN but not scrapped) one can simply send it off to DVLA for a change of engine number. This would then result in a V5 to match the engine in use.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:14
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorton View Post
Just another thought. Presumably, if the V5 is still active (that is, the car is still registered or on a SORN but not scrapped) one can simply send it off to DVLA for a change of engine number. This would then result in a V5 to match the engine in use.
Good idea!
Mike
Old 31st August 2010, 20:48
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

I might be wrong, but I thought you needed the major components to come from the same donor car. I pointed out to the chief man at my local DVLA during the course of my age-related plate escapade that I could have the matching engine from a specific BMW and all the other bits (which of course can't be traced) could have come from any other BMW or BMWs.
His reply: 'Well that wouldn't be very honest would it?'
I can't see anything wrong with Sorton's idea though!!
Tim
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:42

Spannerman

Interested to know, did you follow up and win the ebay auction? It looked quite a good deal and I'm sure that with planning it should be possible to avoid the dreaded Q plate.
Old 5th September 2010, 18:29

Spannerman is on a distinguished road

Yes, we piled it all in the back of a sprinter yesterday and it is now sitting in my garage whilst I try and work out exactly what to do next. Lots of decisions need making-even where to store everything for starters!
Old 6th September 2010, 08:23
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Yay! another new builder!

Did you get any pics whilst you where picking the old girl up?
Old 6th September 2010, 12:13

Excellent, another builder. Incidentally, if you are not already aware, Kit Car magazine have done a number of articles over the years on registration and how to avoid the Q. There is also a business, Kit Car Registration, run by Paul Jepson, 0118 9842303 or 07748 702987. I understand he used to work for DVLA and for a small fee will advise on and take care of all the paperwork. Good luck.