Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th January 2012, 13:57

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default Welding kits - loan or sale?

Anyone getting near the end of their build and not needing their welding kit for a while?

My G46 donor has been sat in a field since 1989 so I am thinking there may be a touch of rust possible in the outriggers ;-)

I have never welded before but how hard can it be?

I would like to borrow / buy cheaply a basic welding set up so I can attach some metal to whatever is left of the chassis.

If anyone knows of something suitable please let me know. I will be giving it back or selling it one when I have finished with it.
Available from eBay
Old 24th January 2012, 15:12

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Sorry matey but I'm constantly using my welder for all sorts of odd jobs

I went the MIG route and i ended up doing lots of research on http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php before i opted for the best budget set that i could afford at the time http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...rbo-mig-welder , knowing that I'd be doing quite a bit of welding on my last project and then on this one.

Knowing what i know now, i think that i'd have opted for the Clarke 160 (same specs but uses the large cylinders straight from the box) straight from the outset as once i started welding i found that there was just so many things i could do with it and i was getting through small gas cylinders far too quickly.

That said, i know that others on here have gone for ARC welders rather than mig as with these Sammio kits we don't normally need to weld really thin metals and so they have been more than fine! So for this particular project i'd say that route is certainly worth seriously considering!
i.e. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...C-arc%20welder

Or keep a look out for the Aldi special ARC welder that crops on the Aldi deal of the week now and again for £35!
Old 24th January 2012, 15:32

Thanks for the info. I will check the difference between arc and mig to decide which to go for.

I am guessing that for welding chassis the arc is adequate. What sort of stuff have you done where it is unsuitable?

any big difference is running costs/consumables?
Old 24th January 2012, 16:18

mulberry is on a distinguished road

you can also hire mig set from speedy hire....i have in the past.
Old 24th January 2012, 16:56

Thought about hiring but I never know when I will have time to do something and when I will be called away. I really need something I can just head down the garage and fire up when I know I have a couple of uninterrupted hours. I don't get many of those periods joined up over a week so the hired gear never gets fully used.

arc welders look affordable though
Old 24th January 2012, 18:16

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Worldclass,

I, too, want to buy myself a MIG Welder and have decided upon the Clarke 160 suggested by davecymru.

The Clarke machines seem to go for silly money on Ebay and with Machinemart having a VAT free offer this month I have decided to buy new. I can always sell it on and get my money back on it.

I know that Weldeqiup sell the 160TM for £327 inc VAT and Forth Tools are even cheaper (£308 delivered inc VAT?). But a kind member of the MIG Weld forum sent me his voucher so I am off to Machinemart this weekend.

Chris
Old 24th January 2012, 20:21

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

I have managed this project and more with an ancient mig and gasless fluxed wire, it's dearer but if you buy the large reel it's not so bad. Has done the job remarkably well, and no bottles needed. Pops
Old 25th January 2012, 10:34

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I bought a cheap 'Silverline' arc welder from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6...7490992&sr=8-1

I'd never welded before but found it easy to use for welding up my rotten chassis. The thinner metal is more of a challenge though as even on low power settings it tends to blow holes in things, so in true Sammio style I'm bolting and bonding my new floorpans into the bulkhead instead.