Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th January 2011, 10:53

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Question Diesel Powered Sportsters

Do any of you guys know anything about diesel powered Sportsters. How many are there ? Advantages / disadvantages.
Or do they all sound like tractors compared to a smooth straight six or V8.

Dennis
Available from eBay
Old 15th January 2011, 12:38
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I've never come across one.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:39

JAC.Sports is on a distinguished road

From what I know, there are none complete diesel Sportsters. Andrew Curtis was/is building one but I can't remember if it was an E36 or E46 as they are similar but have different wiring looms. I haven't heard much more about it for some years, I know there was a problem with wiring and getting it to run.
Mark at the factory has mentioned it many times and I believe is keen on doing a diesel Sportster but not sure on the details etc. My dad & I have looked at it in the past before doing the Exi, as I was working/training at BMW but its alot of work to get it running. Ideally you need a complete car with everything still in it as that way you can get what you want and when etc. The E46 3L Diesel is the best power plant however im not sure if it will fit as it has a dual turbo system and is therefore quite wide on the exhuast side. Ill dig out my old books to see how easy/difficult it may be with the different looms and sizes etc if this may help you.

Jono
Old 15th January 2011, 18:38
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Jono's comments and a PM from Dennis triggered a small memory cell that I had forgotten about this morning (it must be old age creeping up on me ()

So I just had a dig in my picture archives and came up with this....

Diesel Engined Marlin Sportster by marlinpeter, on Flickr

This picture was not taken by me as I know I've not been to the Exeter show, so I must have grabbed it off a website.

I don't think it was finished as Marlin never showed it again or published it as an option.

Maybe someone else has some more pictures?

I'll do some googling to see if I can find any more....
Old 15th January 2011, 18:56

JAC.Sports is on a distinguished road

I believe that to be Andrew Curtis's Diesel SPortster when Marlin were working on it trying to get the engine running. After a chat with my dad it is the E46 3L Dual Turbo Diesel engine and gearbox, but we think it may be an E36 rear axle, but not sure. From what I know it is still in that condition, non running or finished, but I stand to be corrected.

Jono
Old 16th January 2011, 11:42

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Peter & Jono,

Thanks for that, yes, Andrews car is the car I have been told about and will be viewing. I believe its a project on a long standing hold, for what reason I don,t know. But I will take your advice and delve more. Don,t want to buy a non viable proposition. Already prejudiced now as I have no build experience to call on.
We shall see.
Thanks
Dennis