Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 13th August 2009, 14:05

mac is on a distinguished road
Default 30,000 euro Dino replica

Hi Thomas, Just had a look at the Dino rep that you are thinking of buying. It looks like a JH Classics to me. It looks well built but you would have to have a close inspection of the car to see what work is needed to bring it up to a drivable standard.Is it near to where you live ?. I think 30,000 euros is about 25,000GBP which is far to much to pay for a car needing work, for this amount of money you should be able to buy one that is in excellent condition with no work needed at all. I bought one recently which was running on the road with some work needed to improve it for 6,000GBP or roughly 7,000euros.
Hope this helps.
Regards Mac.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:35

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default hi thomas

hi thomas
I think my origin figures may be out!! 30,000 euros is around £27,000
and £16,000 would be around 17,700 euros in today exchange rate
13 /09 /2009
ian
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:09

andybennie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocus View Post
The place to get repro and used Dino wheels is Superformance, they have a good website (google will go straight to it). The PCB is 108 and the offset is as close as makes no difference to zero. They also do lots of Dino fittings but be careful not everything fits the Deon.

Kind Regards

Tom
Hi

Any further info on your new model yet?
Regards
Andy
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:10

hi, does anyone on here know where I can get hold of some stainless half oval or half round bar to trim around the tops of the doors/top of rear quarters and the bottom of both.Approx 8mm ish?? I don't really like the plastic stick on stuff!!
ian
Old 26th September 2009, 19:35

mac is on a distinguished road

Hi,Does anyone know the toe in/toe out settings for the JH Classic/Deon replica. I have just changed my track rod ends and want to check the settings. Thanks in advance. Mac.
Old 27th September 2009, 23:05

Default toe in/out

hi mac
according to the deon build manual the front tracking should be set to 1/8th" (one eight of an inch) toe in.
ian
Old 19th November 2009, 12:03

knocker is on a distinguished road

hello spannermonkey/12393.i may be able to help you out with regard to deon gt replica. which part of the country do you live.from knocker.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:38

Crocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybennie View Post
Hi

Any further info on your new model yet?
Regards
Andy
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on the progress of the new Dino replica project (the D2).

We've just released our first complete bodyshell from the moulds. I'll be posting a few pics early next year once its been trimmed up and treated to a splash of paint.

A couple of you asked about my plans and prices for the turn key cars & kits. For the first year I'll still be sticking to turn key cars only, so that any problems can be ironed out by us on the early cars and they will be offered at around £40k. Once those early cars are complete and we've build up the experince we need to be able to look after customers who want to buld their own cars the kits will be rolled out.

A full delux kit with all the holes drilled and the bodyshell trimmed and deburred, basically with the parts ready to be bolted together is going to be around £22K . It will including everything except an audi A4 donor car, paint & those Ferrari bits you can buy from Superformance.
Old 22nd November 2009, 17:51
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road
Default current value of dino replicas

Hi, I just noticed this ad for an '89 Dino 246 GT replica - described as great condition in UK for 13,000 GBP ono:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C109366/
Cheers
Ross
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:47
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Does look like a nice one.

Bugbear for me though on these replicas (and they are one of my favourites) is the doors. None of them seem to fit properly.

Ready to duck now....

John
Old 18th March 2010, 22:38

cris1234 is on a distinguished road
Default dino replica

to crocus

when is your replica ready to be seen and where ?

thanks

chris
Old 20th March 2010, 09:33

Thanks for the question Chris. I've had a few similar private messages over the last couple of weeks, I think the warmer weather's got everyone thinking about the summer. I'll try to cover everything here.

Hopefully this will answer everyone's questions but please keep the questions coming if there's anything I haven't covered, its great from my point of view to know that there's plenty of interest.

Firstly where and when can people see our car? I decided in January to hold the launch off until I can offer both the GT and the GTS. This means completing tooling for both cars and as such requires more time but the first GTS shell has already been taken from our moulds and is currently being refined after which the moulds will be finalised. I'm still looking at first viewings being this summer. I'll let everyone know as soon as they're ready and I'll put some pictures on this site.

I will be offering a 2 year guarantee (UK mainland) on all turn-key cars and for the first year of production only turn-key cars will be offered.

I'll try my best to cover all the issues found on many Deons that have been resolved for the D2.

The distance from the rear wheel to rear edge of the doors has been increased by 75mm.
The fuel capacity and range has approximately doubled.
The height of the bonnet has raised 65mm.
Below the number plate there is a wide vent with a round vent to either side.
The lengths of the front wings and width of the wheel arches have been equalized.
The width of the front of the car has been increased by 65mm, correcting the gape between the front and rear edges of the front wheel arches when viewed from the front.
The height of the rear of the car has raised 40mm at the edge of the boot lid.
The panel gaps are nominally 3mm and the doors close flush with the body.
The bonnet is symmetrical and hinged from the front edge.
The boot and engine bay have separate covers mounted on stainless steel multi pivot hinges
The GTS has a locating peninsular at the rear of the back of the roof
The rear window of the GTS is recessed making the strip of roof at the rear wider.
The headlamps are recessed.
The interior central tunnel is half round in profile with a trapezoidal console.
The engine cover has 7 vents per side.
The bonnet badge recess is centred
The position of the front indicators has been corrected
The bumpers use the original rubber inserts
The wheel hubs are the correct stud pattern for Chromadora or Campagnola wheels and are designed to correctly place the bearings for the low offset of these wheels.
The turning circle is similar to most family cars.
The width of the foot well has been increased such that most people will be able to drive the cars easily.
The hand-brake is at a readily accessible height.
The driver's and passenger's seats face dead ahead with the peddles directly in front of the driver.
Space is available at the side of the clutch peddle to rest your foot off the clutch.
The brakes are servo assisted.

There are probably a few more things that belong on that list but hopefully I've covered all the main ones. Notably our cars are a tribute to the later model 246 sold in the UK up to the end of the Dino's life in 1974. These cars being the 3rd major revision of the Dino. The first being the short wheelbase 206 and the second being the original 246 with a tapered bonnet, front bumpers hooked into the front air intake, manual windows and clap-hand wipers (we offer the wipers as an option). There are a few things we offer that aren't as per the original such as climate control, ABS and power adjustable peddles but all the important stuff is as it should be.

If anybody has a Deon or any similar replica and needs work doing to improve its current condition please feel free to approach us.

Kind Regards

Tom Marr
Old 21st March 2010, 15:36

hi crocus,what hubs did you go for,for your replica.I have a deon and have been looking at altering/ welding -allsorts really to adapt to take the superformanse repo alloys.I have the 124/lada fronts and lancia beta rears.
cheers ian
Old 21st March 2010, 21:41

Hi Ian

We buy Audi Hubs, which we re-machine to a 5x108 stud patern. There are plenty of hubs that use this patern which you could look at such as Volvo, ford and I believe Alfa but there are other problems too.

All Dino wheels are as close as makes no difference to zero offset. This means they sit further out from the hubs and bearings. This creates problems if the running gear hasn't been designed specifically for them. The wheel will sit further out of the arch than intended and the clearance required within the arch will change too. The leverage advantage that the wheels gain means the steering will become more twitchy and the wheel bearing will be placed under extra load. The reason we re-machine Audi hubs is because the bearings that go with them can cope with the extra load but we only use them with specially designed uprights.

If you really aren't put off by any of the above then the best way to achieve what you're wanting to do is to have your hubs re-machined. Unless you intend changing other parts of your running gear at the same time.

If your finding it difficult to locate someone to do this for you I can certainly offer that service.

Kind Regards

Tom
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:43

hi.
you say you re-machine the hubs to fit your specially made uprights.you must have upgraded from the 124/lada front and beta rears?
I thought the offset on the deon was around +8mm-so as you say the repro wheels would require 8mm shim. I found a company that can make split adaptors to fit the lada/lancia hubs to go from 4 to a five stub but the thinnessed they can do is 28mm.I suppose I could always wind in the rose joints 20 ish mm inward as they have something like 32mm thread showing?
ian
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:32

Hi Ian

I can't comment on the offset of the wheels that are currently fitted to your replica but I'm certain that what I have told you concerning offset applied to both the Lada and Lancia running gear your Deon uses.

If we assume your current +8mm offset is correct, the repro wheels will add 8mm (positive offset indicates the bolting plane is closer to the outermost face of the wheel) and the spacers you've found, add a further 28mm to the width of track at either side. Its certainly going to introduce the factors I mentioned previously. Unfortunately whilst winding the wheels in by using the adjustment offered by the suspension will improve the appearance of the modification, it may create other problems.

You'll be introducing your steering and suspension geometry to a 72mm adjustment across the track. The car's cornering ability may be effected and/or you may start to experience bumpsteer.

You may find no problems and be very happy with the results but I'd urge caution.

Kind Regards

Tom
Old 26th March 2010, 13:05

hi tom
lots to think about!!.I have a set of five dino wheels that were hand cast and heat treated that I copied from an origanal ( patternmaker by trade) and they are part machined to fit the lada/124 beta hubs with the correct offset.But I was quoted silly money to have these finish machined (around £100 each) to size but the more I look at it the better option they look. New repo wheels £800 +vat,spacers £400 +vat.
cheers ian
Old 1st June 2010, 19:58

Ferrotus is on a distinguished road
Default A Brief History of the DGT/Deon

Back in 1985 I decided that I would replace the body of my 1972 Lotus Europa with a Dino Ferrari shell.
I loaned a Ferrari 206GT to a company called “Automotive Design & Development” in Southend, Essex for the moulds to be made and a bodyshell to be supplied and bonded to my Lotus floorpan.
I was not interested in producing further bodyshells or a kit car so the fibreglass company kept the moulds for their own use.
They began marketing a Dino replica called the “Daytona Classics 204GT” – unfortunately using stock Dino photographs for their ads and producing a poor quality kit.
A purchaser of one of the kits (John Hurst) rang me and asked if he could take a mould off one of the poor kits that he had purchased and go in to production himself - I said OK as long as they were of good standards and not VW based etc. This car from “J. H. Classics” was first the DGT and then became the Deon.
John Hurst was very keen on the cars and his kits were extremely well finished but, as with many small businesses in such a niche market, it disappeared and resurfaced a couple of times under different names. The last known manufacturer was a company in Ilton, Somerset (who actually replaced my original doors and hinge system with their units) but they too have since disappeared.
The moulds are still around and I am led to believe may soon be back in use in a new kit.
My car: The Europa was ideally suited to the 246GT so at first the rear wheel arches were incorrectly positioned (as the 206GT is appx 4” shorter on the wheelbase) but the manufacturers of the Marcos in Westbury made an excellent job of repositioning the arches so that the car now looks as it should.
Pictures of my Lotus are here: http://www.david.mirylees.btinternet.co.uk/the_dino.htm
An article on the car is here: http://www.david.mirylees.btinternet...e_articles.htm
Old 2nd June 2010, 00:51
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

That's a really interesting back story to the Dino rep. Many thanks for sharing. Your car looks great also.

Cheers, John
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrotus View Post
Back in 1985 I decided that I would replace the body of my 1972 Lotus Europa with a Dino Ferrari shell.
I loaned a Ferrari 206GT to a company called “Automotive Design & Development” in Southend, Essex for the moulds to be made and a bodyshell to be supplied and bonded to my Lotus floorpan.
I was not interested in producing further bodyshells or a kit car so the fibreglass company kept the moulds for their own use.
They began marketing a Dino replica called the “Daytona Classics 204GT” – unfortunately using stock Dino photographs for their ads and producing a poor quality kit.
A purchaser of one of the kits (John Hurst) rang me and asked if he could take a mould off one of the poor kits that he had purchased and go in to production himself - I said OK as long as they were of good standards and not VW based etc. This car from “J. H. Classics” was first the DGT and then became the Deon.
John Hurst was very keen on the cars and his kits were extremely well finished but, as with many small businesses in such a niche market, it disappeared and resurfaced a couple of times under different names. The last known manufacturer was a company in Ilton, Somerset (who actually replaced my original doors and hinge system with their units) but they too have since disappeared.
The moulds are still around and I am led to believe may soon be back in use in a new kit.
My car: The Europa was ideally suited to the 246GT so at first the rear wheel arches were incorrectly positioned (as the 206GT is appx 4” shorter on the wheelbase) but the manufacturers of the Marcos in Westbury made an excellent job of repositioning the arches so that the car now looks as it should.
Pictures of my Lotus are here: http://www.david.mirylees.btinternet.co.uk/the_dino.htm
An article on the car is here: http://www.david.mirylees.btinternet...e_articles.htm
Hi david
I had heard mumbberlings about your car but up untill now always thought they were just that.Nice to see the pictures.Your car looks very similar to the ones jhc used in his early adverts. ian