1960 stands out in history as marking two great events. Firstly, the birth of Carol Vorderman
And secondly, the design and production of the acknowledged Worlds First Series Kit Car, the Colani GT, designed by Swiss born, German Industrial designer, Luigi Colani (Google his name, you’ll see some Awesome stuff he’s done).
Now, 53 years later, Ribble Kits are very pleased to pay homage to that event by releasing our Ribble Colani GT, a faithful reproduction of his creation which has not seen the light of day for so long. All the moulds and jigs are ready for production and here, as promised, are a few photos taken of our demonstrator just prior to going off to the paint shop. More will follow:
Walk Around Video - Click photo below
Based on the humble Volkswagen Beetle running gear, modified or not, in our eyes the Colani GT makes for a stunning vision on the road. (This car is very much a ‘Marmite’, splitting people into those who just Love the lines and those who really dislike it). You will notice that our demonstrator is a Left Hand Drive model (Reproducing the original) but we do, of course, offer a Right Hand Drive option.
Our kit includes:
• The Three main GRP portions, Tub, Engine cover and Bonnet, each laminated to a high quality and strength with a high gloss Gel finish (Grey as standard to give a good base for paint or at extra cost, we would add pigment, not only in the Gel but in the underlying resin coats)
• GRP Inner rear wheel arches in similar fabrication to the main GRP portions
• Rear steel frame which supports the Engine cover and also provisions the battery tray
• Front steel frame which includes hinge for the bonnet and support for the fuel tank
We will be offering other accessories such as Screens, headlight covers and seats to help complete your build. Turnkey and partial builds to your own specification are also an option with immediate effect.
Cost of the Ribble Colani GT:
• Basic Kit as described above - £3400
• Addition of a pigmented Gel finish (Including underlying resin coats) - £150
• Headlight covers (Shatterproof UV Resistant Polycarbonate) - £120
• 4mm Perspex Screen - £60
• Pair GRP Seats (Uncovered) with suitable runners - £150
• Upholstered Seats – Ask for details
• Full Turnkey (UK Registered and MoT) – Starting at £12,000