Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th July 2006, 09:09
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road
Default Teething Problems

Had a couple of problems over the last couple of weeks thought i would share the info with you.
First item to fail was my Clutch master cylinder this was the original from the donor taken off it 3 years ago and looked in a very bad condition when i dismantled it. I purchased a new one from local car factor at £30 less than half the price of the Marlin unit.
Second item to go was my Water Pump it started leaking from the gland also obtained new unit from local car factor £35 didnt bother trying BMW for the price but i could guess it would be a lot more.
I did speak with Mark at Marlin about these problems and he said it is pretty common as most builders take a number of Months/Years to build there car and these parts sieze up and rust out.
Available from eBay
Old 16th July 2006, 13:42
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Replace the clutch slave cylinder as well. This will go with in two weeks of replacing the master cylinder - a common issue on the E30. Our slave cylinder had gone so I've got a new master and slave sitting at home waiting to go in once the car is back from the exhaust place.

I'll keep an eye on the water pump but it seems to be working OK from the first hour of test running.

The engine is leaking a bit of oil as well now, but not had enough time to track it down.

The other things thats gone is the only remaining orginal water pipe (bar the two that go to the heater/expansion bottle) it had a nice little split dripping water everywhere!

If the car's idle is dodgy replace all the rubber vacuum pipes including the intake boot - these very often have little holes that screw things up.

Our engine is suffering from high idle (around 1k rpm). On the list of things to check is the idle control valve, air flow meter and all the piping around there. Apperently there is a mixture setting somewhere on the AFM that need setting up at a garage, ours seems to be running quite rich from the condition of the sparks.