Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th August 2009, 21:00
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I asked Woolies (well I did buy some there 20 years ago when I built my last kit car...) They confirmed that it should be as Peter suggested - concave side towards the material.

Robin
Old 14th August 2009, 09:05
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Well the tonneau fitting is almost complete. (Pictures tomorrow) It's been pretty tricky to fit and in the end I have come to the conclusion that it would have been better to go to a local coachtrimmer and had one made to measure.

The problem is that, as Marlin leave the body fitting to the builder, each car is slightly different. After struggling to get the tonneau to fit satisfactorily (it seemed to fit fine one side but not the other) I carefully eyeballed the rear body section. And - I found that it it is not quite square - only about 6mm out - not enough to even notice - but enough to make fitting the tonneau difficult.

I suspect the problem stems from when I had to remove the plates on which the door catches mount. These are the only thing that locate the rear body so that it is square with the chassis. Of course I fitted the new plates so that they lined up with the doors - not thinking about the consequences of mounting the rear tub. I also suspect that rear tub is also not quite symetrical.

So my advice - if you intend to fit the Marlin tonneau make sure your body is a 100% perfect fit first!

Robin
Old 14th August 2009, 22:27
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

My hood fitting is not symmetrical either.
With a hood you have the added dimension of the position of the hood sticks.
I couldn't figure out if it was the chassis, bodywork, hood stick mounting, position/angle of the windscreen or the hood?
The good thing about a hood is it's bloody difficult to see both sides at the same time, so its generally only me that can see the diffrence

I am actually quite pleased as it was the first hood I had fitted and I reckon its as good as Marlin's own fitting.
Old 16th August 2009, 10:21
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

As you know I don't have a hood but I did try to fit my tub scientifically using a tape measure. I gave up pretty quickly as both the chassis and the tub are not symmetrical, so I would guess that will translate into a wonky hood as well!