Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th May 2017, 10:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road
Default Tribute SWB 250 Kits – An Outsider’s View…

Rather than hi-jack ericholm’s thread, here is my two cents worth.
( Which, unfortunately, has turned into a bit of a sermon. - So my apologies in advance. )

The price of the 250 kit appears to be valued, by some, as little more than the cost of the fibreglass itself.

Whereas, in my option, its true value is linked to the outstanding talents of Chris and Dan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the art world, you could question why some paint splashed about on a canvas was worth £75m in 2006.

Jackson Pollock's No. 5

Or why a few patches of colour, that even a child could draw, was worth £53m in 2012.

Mark Rothko's Orange, red, yellow

You could, but quite frankly you would be missing the point completely.

The value of Chris & Dan’s work must be seen in the context of both their vision and technical ability.

Mocking up the ”Nip, tuck, stretch etc........” required on Photoshop is one thing.

But turning that into a life size functioning kit some ten months later is something else entirely.

The sheer scale of the task involved was clearly documented on this forum, yet it is still undervalued.

Instead, the small faults (and they are small) are highlighted as though the overall product is not still a work of genius.

So, yes, “the doer of deeds could have done them better”.

But…

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;
but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

In my view, Tribute did the best job they could under the circumstances and the final kit is what it is.

All suggestions about how to change/upgrade/fix this kit require a further investment of time and money to do.

And there seems to be some confusion on here about the difference between being busy and being wealthy.

Tribute is basically two men in a (big) shed, it is not Ford, or Aston Martin with a multi-million R&D budget.

The key fact for me is that the time and money required to turn an ‘imperfect’ Tribute kit into this.

Is still a mere fraction of what it would cost to own an original.

It is also significantly less than what you would have to pay for a “better” kit, such as the Mirage 250 GT.

So if you don’t think the SWB 250 kit represents good value for money, then simply don’t buy it.

I’ve learnt the hard way that the value of a kit (to me at least) is linked to the time required to get it on the road.

I can barely keep this list of Tribute Z3 based kits up to date, as they get turned around so quickly, which has to be a good thing.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=4623&page=2

Note:
The useful links thread was my way of saying thank you to Chris and Dan for sharing their kit developments.
( As my car would never have got on the road without picking up so many fibreglass tips & ideas from them. )

So, rather selfishly, I want this forum to be somewhere that Chris and Dan can look forward to posting on.

I’d love to hear more about the Tribute ‘Auburn’ kit that appeared on Ebay.
( Plus Chris’s ‘Mexico’ project, Dan’s 275 model and zagmad’s constantly changing Alfa project. )

Anyway, that is more than enough preaching from me and I’ll end on a more lighter note below.

Cheers, Paul.

The SWB 250 bonnet cut - As shared by Jaguartvr.

However, to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee:

“That’s not a bonnet cut… THIS is a bonnet cut!”

Swifty

Viatron

Paul L

Available from eBay