Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 29th October 2018, 19:13

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

The side indicators on the white car aren't really MOT acceptable mounted where they are. They could be brought forward a bit to be more compliant but I don't think they look right. I do like the rear indicators in the vents, that works quite well.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:13

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Aluminium Rules!

This.

Regards, Mick
Old 30th October 2018, 18:41

Aluminium cars are the best with this style of car. There are one or two fibre glass cars out there but they're not so convincing. I was really lucky to be able buy this example. I some times ask myself what I could have bought instead !

Done some mods to the steering column. A couple of inches shorter and a couple of inches higher. That should be about right, I've now made new brackets to support it. I've done away with the Ford column ignition switch and steering locking mechanism. The whole lot is bulky and nothing like a 250 TR. All the main switch gear will be on the dash.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 5th January 2019 at 16:17..
Old 31st October 2018, 16:51

Working around the front end I've made up some mountings for the radiator. Supplied with the body was a genuine F***** radiator. Its huge compared to what is required but I thought I'd make use of it anyway. I've fitted an electric fan so that's all ready to go on the car now.
The seats are booked in with the trimmers, the price was good and they quoted just a week turn around.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 31st October 2018 at 16:54..
Old 31st October 2018, 16:59

molleur is on a distinguished road

Excellent!
Old 1st November 2018, 21:44

Finished the radiator mounts , all welded to the chassis and primed in red oxide. I've been looking for the correct water pump pulley for my engine but I haven't found one so I went with plan B. I did get hold of a 2.8 injection Capri pulley which differs as it is a twin belt pulley and the centre hole is larger. Decided to turn an aluminium adaptor to allow it to be used. Whilst looking at this and fan belts etc I've had to go with a much smaller alternator. The standard Cologne V6 arrangement features the alternator mounted off the side of the engine which is no good on a 7 chassis. The smallest one I could find was from a Daihatsu Cuore and is about the size of a Coke can, rated at around 40 Amps. I'll be able to fit that on the top of the engine between the rocker covers, small and neat.
Old 4th November 2018, 20:25

A little progress over the weekend. I've got the alternator brackets made up which took longer than expected. I'll be able to fit that along with the adapted water pump pulley and get the fan belt on. Also sorting out water pipes for the radiator and bypass hoses. I really need to crack on with the exhaust manifolds and system before the front end goes back on. Trying to find some
1 1/4" tight mandrel bends in mild steel, any ideas ? Can only find stainless at the moment.
Old 8th November 2018, 17:34

I've got my pulley adaptor back now so that can go on and complete the installation of the water pump, alternator etc etc.
Whilst the front end is off I've also lowered the floor section under the pedals to allow for my size 12's ! Dropped it by 50mm so the toe of even my biggest boots don't snag on the underside of the peddle box !
Whilst doing that little job I noticed that one of the master cylinders was leaking brake fluid so I've whipped that out and ordered a new one.
The photos below show the over size radiator and mountings attached to the chassis along with the front clip lower mountings. That's all good now and ready for final fit. See also the extra small Coke can size alternator, really useful when you are stuck for space.
Custom Chrome helped me out with all the tight mandrel bends in mild steel that I was after. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3480.jpg (91.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3477.jpg (93.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3484.jpg (85.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3476.jpg (92.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 5th January 2019 at 16:20..
Old 8th November 2018, 20:27

Very nicely done! Is that alternator output enough?
Old 8th November 2018, 20:37

Its only got to power the lights and charge the battery, 40amps is plenty ! I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm making a new loom that has a lot less wiring in it than even the donor 7 had. ie no wipers, no screen wash, no electric fuel pumps etc.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:48

Perfect then. You should have no worries.
Old 11th November 2018, 12:20

Finalising a few details at the front of the car then the front body section can go back on for the final time. It should be pretty straight forward to get the car to a running stage after that ! Probably a few weeks away yet but I want it driving / ready for paint by the end of the Christmas holidays.

I'm still un decided about the final finish on the car. The plan was to go with a fully restored look to make it like new. I've seen several TR's now, mostly online and one in the flesh. There's one for sale in Classic & Sports Car magazine and that one has been on the market a while. They all have the same theme, immaculate and mint condition. I would say most are over done and too blingy, the one in C & SC is a good case, bright red with bright red trim, it looks too much. My car was always going to be bling free but I think I can go one better and give it a more authentic weathered look. Something that has done 24 hours at LeMans and a few races at Spa back in the 50's then left in a barn for 60 years. There seems to be a thing for barn finds and un restored cars at the moment, perhaps that's the way to go ?

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 12th November 2018 at 21:40..
Old 11th November 2018, 19:54

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Something that has done 24 hours at LeMans and a few races at Spa back in the 50's then left in a barn for 60 years. There seems to be a thing for barn finds and un restored cars at the moment, perhaps that's the way to go ?
There is a Formosa being given exactly that treatment at the moment ....
Old 12th November 2018, 19:38

It would be good to see that one and how they approach the idea, is the builder on here ? Back in the day I was into model making and RC aeroplanes, the scale stuff mostly. The experienced modellers in our club would spend a lot of time "weathering" the finish with oil stains and dirt effects etc. The results on some looked stunning, much better than a shiny new finish.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 12th November 2018 at 21:38..
Old 13th November 2018, 08:44

Quote:
It would be good to see that one and how they approach the idea, is the builder on here ? Back in the day I was into model making and RC aeroplanes, the scale stuff mostly. The experienced modellers in our club would spend a lot of time "weathering" the finish with oil stains and dirt effects etc. The results on some looked stunning, much better than a shiny new finish.
Its not quite at paint yet ..its partly prepped and still having a few bits done ...It has been built using original parts over new parts in a lot of instances , the wire wheels are a bit freckly , second hand steering wheel , seats , slightly weathered aluminium , genuine 1950's 2CV door latches ..that sort of thing ..nothing too tatty , just pre-loved ..the paint is going to be cellulose rather than 2 pack and its going to be weathered only a bit , so it looks like an older restoration or a carefully stored survivor , rather than a full on 'Barn find' , a few nicks , scratches , chips etc ..bit of wear on drivers door , around fuel cap , bonnet edge etc but nothing too major ..
Old 13th November 2018, 10:58

There is a balance to be had, that sounds about right. The interior on my car is going to be satin black painted aluminium which is pretty much like the original cars. They were never fitted with plush interiors the so called restored examples feature today!
Old 13th November 2018, 17:48

THE FORMOSA IS GOING SATIN BLACK INSIDE TOO ...The car closer resembles a Maserati in my eyes and they tended to be silver , but all the Ferrari's of that era were satin black frames internals , everything ..which is a lot easier to manage ...
Old 13th November 2018, 17:50

Quote:
They were never fitted with plush interiors the so called restored examples feature today!
Many notable cars in the race and Hot Rod world have been over restored in my opinion and they lose their soul ..
Old 13th November 2018, 19:58

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Many notable cars in the race and Hot Rod world have been over restored in my opinion and they lose their soul ..
+1
Old 13th November 2018, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Well said!