Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 14th October 2006, 22:09
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Bargin

Somebody got hemselves a bargin here........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Available from eBay
Old 14th October 2006, 22:47
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Personally I think that is all the car is worth as so far the people that have tried to sell them have all struggled! Mine will have easily cost me 18k-21k when finished and I would not expect to get more than about 9k if I sold it and it's a type-r....Marlins are not held in high regard like westfields and caterhams

Craig
Old 15th October 2006, 19:39
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Would be interesting to hear how close people got to the quoted £8-9k build cost that Marlin initially put on the 5exi.

John
Old 15th October 2006, 19:57
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Well I bought fron Marlin the basic modules minus flooring light pack box for type r engine etc etc and it cost me 9.5k then on top of this needed from Marlin there is:
black box @ £400
Drive shafts @ £400
flooring at £100
side panels @ £100
brakes etc from Marlin @£1240
seats @700
trim @ unknown £
rear diffuser @ £
rear centre piece @ unknown £

This is just marlin parts and does not include engine, donor or donor parts, wheels and painting ££

But on the flip side the type r is the most expensive option and I have chosen to build a new car which is considerably more expensive!
If a 1.4 or a 1.6 was chosen and all parts were used including wheels and seats then I think it could be done for under £10k
Old 15th October 2006, 22:24
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Would be interesting to hear how close people got to the quoted £8-9k build cost that Marlin initially put on the 5exi.

John
To do a half decent job, I can't see anyone getting close to £8-9k. I'm at £xxk and my car is a considerable distance from being driveable. Probably be closer to £20k when done - eep!
Old 16th October 2006, 17:32
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

Hi all...

I'm dissapointed to see the resale value of Exi's at present.....This ex demo on ebay at less than £9K is an insult for a factory built car less than 12 months old with the specification and standard of finish it had!

These cars are great fun, great handling, rapid, good to look at etc.....and deserve the acclaim that most 7's or Westy's get....if not more!!

...that said, most of the Exi's in existance are owned by people who input to this forum or who have in the past...so I reckon it's down to us owners to promote how good the cars are and not to talk them down or accept low values. Given the kit costs etc I reckon that a good K series build should not be sold below £10K....and a type R for not less than £14K....after all you don't get a decent Ford for that kind of cash!...and they're not half the fun.

Its time to make Marlin's desirable and the exclusivity of the Exi is the key. Holding out for decent resale value and trying to sell through 'non-mainstream' dealerships (who can't effectively value the car) is the start point.

Thoughts anyone?

Rich
Old 22nd October 2006, 15:10
Kit Car Dreamer

BaldyBonce is on a distinguished road
Default Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
Somebody got hemselves a bargin here........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
I guess that would be me then! Picked it up yesterday from Chichester and had a blast cross-country to get it home. My wife reckoned that all she could see as we passed & repassed was inane grins on the faces of me and sons (who took it in turns as passengers) & now she wants to be put on the insurance ...

So why did I buy rather than build? Primarily a reality check. I've been following this forum for the last year and a bit since seeing the 5EXi in the flesh, and knew that this was the right car. Given the demands of my job, the family, house & local community, time is getting to be a precious commodity. Added to which I haven't seriously practised any engineering since my degree course 35 years ago. So common sense dawned, I raided the kids' inheritance and the rest, as they say, is history.

Anyway - good luck to you all with your builds and if anyone fancies a chat/bevvy/view of how the factory solve problems and is in the Kent/Surrey/Sussex area, drop me a line.

Regards

Phil
Old 22nd October 2006, 20:33
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up bargain

Well done Phil,
You've managed to buy a completed car for less than all the parts would have cost. It's nice to say you've built it yourself, but at that price we'd have all done the same. I believe the original price from Marlin would have been nearer 15k. I would be interested in your comments about the cars overall fit, finish and performance, good and bad. Enjoy Brian.
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:25
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Good luck

Phil

It was your car that first swung my decision I met Terry and mark at Goodwood, still have the pics, and the embedded smile.

Funnily enough, my son has concerns on how much I have spent.

Have fun

Steve
Old 24th October 2006, 22:55
Kit Car Dreamer

BaldyBonce is on a distinguished road
Default Build quality

Overall pretty impressed with the build quality, though tempered by the fact that it's been chucking it down ever since we got the car back so I've shoehorned it into the garage and can hardly get to it.

Clamshell fits well with minimal panel gaps. Paintwork is stunning & commented on by everybody. Interior isn't bad - the flock dash looks better in the flesh than in the photos. A few niggles which fall under the category of "fettling" - the front windscreen sealing is imperfect and leaks in monsoon rainfall, the powder coating on the chassis is pretty thin & there's some surface rusting beginning to form, the fuel gauge is untrustworthy and I have yet to come to terms with unservoed disc brakes (or the servo's not working). A hefty prod is needed!

Lovely growl from the exhaust - plenty of grunt, though I'm not sure I quite believe the speedo readings. Very comfortable to drive - no crashing banging or creaking even over the third-world surfaces that pass for roads hereabouts. No buffetting from the wind either.

Overall 9.75 out of 10.

And yes you were right to say it cost £15k from the factory - I have the original sale invoice to prove it.