Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th July 2015, 06:57

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
...Ive had kit cars. And ive had tribute kits and I know what I prefer!
Driving my kobra is a pleasure as bmw spent a lot of time and money on getting my z3 right!
+1 from me.

I feel the same with my Z300S. It is engineered to be a genuine 140mph car and with V-rated tyres (149mph) on E-Type wheels (150mph), that standard is maintained.
Old 7th July 2015, 07:00

wolfie is on a distinguished road

+ another one from me ( when mines finished )
Old 7th July 2015, 07:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I've actually always felt rather sorry for multi-millionaire owners of genuine Cobras, after all, everybody will just assume it's a worn out Cortina mkIII under the skin anyway.

Oh, and when I'm out and about in my Spyder, unlike owners of other classic marques I've never yet had a Cobra driver wave back when I give them my fellow classic fan cheery wave. What a bunch of k*nts...
Old 7th July 2015, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
... I've never yet had a Cobra driver wave back when I give them my fellow classic fan cheery wave...
That's because they're thinking- "oops- he's a real classic car driver and thinks that my Cobra's genuine" (even though you're not).
Old 7th July 2015, 11:49

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Rog must think that the more money you throw at a project the better it will be. Did he build it or did he get lots of help and have to pay someone ? If you build a fake Cobra yourself I can't see how it can ad up to over £40k !

For me the fun is building a really good car for the least amount of money. If you have the skills you "can build yourself a sports car for £250" if I remember the book title for the Lotus 7 lookalike !
Old 7th July 2015, 12:33

Each to their own of course, but I've always found the 427 Cobra to look a bit fat (not fat as in sick, but fat as in overweight, if that makes sense?)

To me the 289 or Ace look much classier.

As replicas/homages of the 427 go though, to me, Tribute's offering looks pretty similar to any of the other£40k (really?) offerings when finished to a good standard.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 7th July 2015 at 12:37..
Old 7th July 2015, 13:06

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

It's causing a stir on their forum........

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55034
Old 7th July 2015, 13:28

garyh is on a distinguished road

Cobras are great because they're kits... so you just get a trolley and fill it up with all the bits you need, Smiths dials, Halibrands etc... you don't have to design or make parts.
Old 7th July 2015, 18:19

I checked the link above to the UK Cobra Club. looks like they have 4 pages on the subject now !

Many of the comments are positive if you read through. The UK Cobra Club should look back to the late 80's early 90's when the Pilgrim Sumo was launched with a Cortina donor car , it went on to be the biggest Cobra selling copy of the lot. Largely down to price and easy to build nature. That was followed by others such as Brightwheel Viper , KD 289 , even Hawk Cobras were based on an MGB !

So really Tribute is an up to date version of the pioneers of the "Budget " Sumo etc etc Cobra replica.
Old 7th July 2015, 18:42

dewhurst8888 is on a distinguished road
Default cobra

ive just spent 3 hours arguing with them,that i should be allowed to use cobra replicant in my add.
to sum up i told them cobra is not a trademark as shelby lost the case,plus every cobra kit on there is using cobra in the listing so i was being victimized.
they agreed i could use it only if i asked all the bidders to cancel their bids,then i could alter heading as they were unable to do this for me.
if i ended the listing they would take a per centage of the final bid.
at over 6k ,i was,nt standing for that.
i cancelled the bids myself,reason given no contact ,got the auction back to .99p and then cancelled.......take that ebay you robbing g-ts.
so relisted again another tenner with cobra in the listing.
just waiting to see their reaction this time
Old 7th July 2015, 19:30

Well done , you're 100% right to follow it up . Everyone knows its a Cobra replica , all be it with BMW running gear .

If you were made to remove the Cobra wording then every other Cobra kit on there should have been removed.

You have my support if they remove your ad again , I'll report any other "Cobra" kit listed so they will have to remove those too !

I think some of the comments aimed at you in person on the Uk Cobra sight are highly offensive , you might consider them slander , I hope you have read them, but you will be shocked.

At the end of the day we are here to enjoy our hobby so I don't understand all the fuss really!
Old 7th July 2015, 19:46

Default cobra

i could,nt care less either way.
i dont even know why they thought my comments were aimed at cobra,s,i,d love to own one.
but my sole aim is to make money,so i,d sell even if it was a super snake.
its getting alot of attention which ever way you look at it.
might have a crack at the farrari one next and say its best on ebay that should get the blood flowing.
anyway got to take the dog for a walk now,and they gas axe something else on the drive .YEE HAAAAAA
Old 7th July 2015, 20:17

y cymro is on a distinguished road

You've really wound them up! Just like most groups, they're formed of some people who are tolerant of others and some who are scared. Rog is very much in the latter camp, and needs help with his anger issues. I see from his profile that he's 57. If he doesn't learn to chill, I'll bet he'll be an early mortality statistic within a few years. He probably has the same attitude towards ACOC members who despise him and his copycat kit car.
Shame really, as we're all car enthusiasts whatever we drive.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:36

When I was a lad, I lived in a town where the coachbuilders who made AC bodywork were also located. The chassis for the Ace were transported in and the ally bodywork was formed over plywood frames and then attached. I remember seeing two and three silver cars together being driven back towards the main factory at Thames Ditton.

Those Aces had straight six engines- Ford Zephyr Zodiac, Bristol or AC's own.

It occurs to me that when Mr Shelby dropped his 289 V8 into one and found it lacking in the handling department and decided it needed a wider track- what did he do but swap or have swapped, the existing front and rear wings (or "bodywork") for wider ones.

See the pattern emerging here- they do say that there's nothing new under the sun...

As I see it, the only true replica is an Autokraft which was licensed by Shelby. But cobra has become a generic term like seven or buggy. Everyone knows what they look like and what to expect.

I too noted Roger's age and location- I have formed an opinion of him.

Last edited by IanA; 8th July 2015 at 06:41.. Reason: corrections
Old 7th July 2015, 21:42

Default cobra

yeah funny eh
i just looked at the link to their forum and comments.
i think he,s wound them up more than i did,funny what he wrote about me,i never swore or called him names once,
i only asked if he was related to the shackleton that went to the pole,then he got quite abusive.
so i then suggested if they ever remake dads army,i,d put him down for captain mainwaring.
odd thing though my phone numbers on the ad and he never give me a call.
mind you i,m from Tenby in south wales and we,ve got a sense of humour
Old 8th July 2015, 06:23

gas guzzler is on a distinguished road

I've noticed over the years, having had a wide variety of cars and been on numerous forums, the lack of humour amongst a lot of club members. People take themselves and their cars way to seriously, I love cars and appreciate the work people put into them so don't care what people drive, although I do draw the line at Marina's and Lomax's :-) I had a lot of negative comments about my MX5 from the OC because I had a V8 in it. My favourite was 'Not one for the purist' ! It was a bloody mx5, they're as common as dog shit.
The AC lot really do dislike the Cobra kits but mainly because they're badged as AC's which they're clearly not. In a way you can't blame them for that seeing they can't even use the AC badge/emblem for their own club logo, dispute with present owner.
There is an awful lot of snobbery out there amongst car clubs/owners which is a shame as most people are just out to enjoy their cars.

Andy
Old 8th July 2015, 06:34

wolfie is on a distinguished road

Too right Andy. I also noticed what a sniffy lot some of the kit car club members at Stoneleigh and Castle Coombe recently - except Tribute Automotive and Nubodi of course + a couple of others.
Old 8th July 2015, 06:46

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I would just like to point out that I drive the only original Z300S Barchetta and that all of the rest are replicas and kits and should be registered as such

:-)
Old 8th July 2015, 06:58

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas guzzler View Post
... although I do draw the line at Marina's ...
You really shouldn't because there are only 22 left on the road (and 33 SORN - presumably rusting away in the back gardens of the 22 owners who are keeping them for spares).
Old 8th July 2015, 07:45

As the chairman and founding (only) member of the Fiat Gamine Vignale Appreciation Society, I am currently engaged in a legal battle with one Mr Noddy of Toytown.

This has been dragging on for years, starting when I sent him a solicitor's letter quite rightly complaining about him giving an upright driving position with your face exposed to the elements two feet above the windscreen a bad name.

Noddy's immediate response was to turn up at my house with some of his friends.

It started with the verbals, then a bit of pushing and shoving but Mr Wobbly Man got funny and fists started flying. I'm pretty handy and landed some good punches but I couldn't put him down.

When Big Ears stepped in with a wise comment everyone calmed down. F*cking do-gooder.

After that the legal battle carried on in the background while Noddy's mates tried to make my life hell. I found Sly and Gobbo poking around in my garden shed at 4 in the morning but they denied doing anything wrong, saying they were just looking for Bumpy Dog who'd run off. The next time I rode my bike though, the wheels fell off.

At the end of my tether and looking for revenge I put sugar in Noddy's fuel tank. Mr Sparks took a look, exclaimed 'A challenge? I like it!' and had Noddy back on the road in no time. At least he charged him a six hundred quid out of hours call out fee. Plus VAT.

Most recently I managed to get an injunction to stop Noddy driving his car. When he breached it, I dialled the nines and got Mr Plod involved, telling him to seize Noddy's car.

Once Mr Plod had taken far too long examining the injunction paperwork (imho) he reluctantly told Noddy he had to give up his car. Noddy was having none of it and kept hold of his motor as Mr Plod tried to take it off him. Eventually they both fell down and everybody laughed.

Noddy got to keep the car so I'm putting a complaint into the IPCC (Independent Pixie Complaints Commission).

Anyway, I'm going to win this pointless legal battle, even if it kills me.

Got to go now, Mr Jumbo's just turned up at my house and I think things are about to get heavy...