Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 14th February 2004, 13:36
Kit Car Dreamer

Cobrasan is on a distinguished road
Default What is the best Cobra Kit

Can any one shed any light on what is the best Cobra Kit.
I'm thinking Pilgrim Sumo, maybe a little to cheap, Dax are they good or is it just hype and Gardner Douglas I like the look of their web site " gdcars.com" and the fact the body is mounted on bushs for ease of removal.

So please enlighten me.

Kind regards Vince
Available from eBay
Old 17th February 2004, 20:32
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Vince, check out www.ac427.com which is devoted to cobra replicas.

All of your choices are good but there will be plenty of debate as to whether GD is better than DAX and vice versa. There are of course others to be thrown into the hat such as Crendon, AK, Madgewick and Euro427. Crendon probably being the purists favourite.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 18th February 2004, 22:48
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Vince,
The fact is that they’re all excellent!

Their differences lie in the objective of their respective manufacturers. Pilgrim are (or at least were) very much into value for money – they sacrifice both authenticity and performance in favour of saving costs. DAX are very much into image – they therefore throw a lot of effort into being seen to be the most attractive. GD are into performance at the expense of authenticity – it wins races.

The point is that each will attract a certain kind of customer and generally each firm is very well respected by its respective customers.

My point is that nobody can tell you which is best for you, because each Cobra’s beauty is in the eye of its beholder.

All views expressed are my opinions. Take them or leave them.

Den.
Old 19th February 2004, 16:55
Kit Car Dreamer

Cobrasan is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replys, I can see the light now, the force is with me.

My local Kitcar firm is Cobretti Viper, but not heard much about him except in the news over the name of Viper.

Anyway my heart says Gardner Douglas, as I like the chassis set up but is it safe in the case of a side impact, there does not look like there is a lot of protection

I cant believe it, my wife has given me the nod to do this, there is a god.

One last question, do you have to use a Donor car, can you just buy new parts, does this mean it has to be registered new and if using donor vehicle, does it get that reg

I have a number ready to be used already, I just cant wait am I sad or what, will my enthusiasum be quashed, what lies ahead, nah I cant wait bring it on.

Vince
Old 9th March 2004, 19:07

spydernut is on a distinguished road
Default Cobra

Looked into the cobra scene a couple of years ago. For me, by far and away the best was Gardner Douglas . Great chassis and a one piece body tub. Andy Burrows, (proprietor) gave me a demo in his 450Bhp Chevy powered race car around Castle Coombe and it was incredible. Handling was fantastic, absolutely awesome.
Haven't plucked up the courage to do one yet but I'm sure I will one day. It will definetly be a GD and Euro version to boot as opposed to Jag based.
Give Gd a look over, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.